Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    This.

After the Reyes debacle it became painfully clear the priority was not to bring in the best players they could. Contrary to how Reyes' contract has been lampooned in here, it was very affordable and should have been matched.

It also wouldn't have killed them to bid on Carlos Beltran for another two seasons knowing we had zero outfielders. But they weren't going to bid on Beltran when the object of the game was to stockpile APHs.
    Other than the obvious talent loss of Reyes/Beltran; the most glaring result was that we lost any RHP/LHP balance offensively...we lost 2 switch hitters, that hit LHP as well, if not better than RHP...and in their absence, the lineup has become either extremely lefty that can't hit LHP with a few Righties that don't do as well against RHP...and even with the loss of Pagan (who wasn't the most useful RH batter) we lost another switch hitter...you can't platoon the entire team, although Terry would probably try to find a way, I'm sure Dickey could play some infield when a LHP pitches on his non-pitching days...
    Last edited by vtmet; 12-09-2012 at 07:42 PM.

vCash
    Yeah, considering Wright got a 7/$122M extension, Reyes was definitely worth 6/$106M to us since he was on the open market.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Yeah, considering Wright got a 7/$122M extension, Reyes was definitely worth 6/$106M to us since he was on the open market.
    and Reyes was cheap in the first 2 seasons of his Marlins contract (which means that he wouldn't have been costly until Santana's & Bay's contracts were off the books)...IMO, there is no real excuse to see them keep one of them without keeping the other...

vCash
    Yeah, there is none and there never will be an excuse for not keeping both.

vCash
    A ton of negativity here...yeesh.

Jew You Believe In Miracles?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsrock229 View Post
    Sorry I posted from my phone, and no it was not intended to bait or insult other posters.

It's ignorant to just say how the Mets don't have a promising future as if they haven't made progress in this rebuild. I hate when people say that they aren't going anywhere based on past experiences, specifically when they were not in rebuild mode.

I also love the argument people bring up when told to be patient, saying they've been waiting since 1986. It's not like the Mets have been trying to rebuild since 1986. You can't honestly tell me the Mets haven't made progress regarding their future since 2009/2010. Just look at their top prospects then and now. Saying we're from NY doesn't make it an automatic to just have a high payroll just because the Yankees can. You're comparing the Mets to a top 5 sports franchise of the world.

It's okay to be optimistic in certain aspects as well as pessimistic, but there are some posters that I just don't get, specifically one. Literally every post is negative in some way, even in positive threads. If there is no way a negative thing can be said, there is no post made. I fail to see his posts in positive threads and if there are, it's negative. If you're going to be that pessimistic/negative about a team and everything they do, don't be a ****ing fan. Go root for another team. It must bring enjoyment to be that negative about a team. This is a picture that I believe closely resembles that poster http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instanc...x/27223942.jpg

And I'm not trying to bait, I just don't get it, especially when the team has been making progress in their rebuild.

/EndRant
    For openers, welcome to our forum.

Just so you know, it's a common theme in these parts to question the loyalties of seemingly overly negative fans. Long story short, don't do it.

Disagree with their points, their arguments all you like, but don't think for a second they care any less for our team than you do. Their negativity probably stems from many years of followingf this team and many years of frustration along with spotting patterns that give one a feeling of deja vu.

I'm not arguing for or against that stance right now. I'm just explaining it as a matter of perspective. It;s never a good idea to tell someone in here you don't agree with that he should consider following another team. So don't do it.

Now, to the issue of hope: On the surface I'd agree with you. You look around and they just signed one of baseball's top thirde baseman for the rest of his career. There's young Ike Davis manning first with the ability to do really great things if he ever figures it out. Matt Harvey opened some eyes last season and Zach Wheeler isn't too far behind. There's nothing more that needs to be said about RA Dickey assuming he's coming back for at least one more season. And Jon Niese and Dillon Gee and anything they can get from Johan rounds out a very formidable rotation.

So yeah, right there is hope. But there are problems down below. Other than the Wright signing, it doesnt look like the team is investing in anyone who isn't an affordeable place holder. You know things are pathetic when Scott Hairston played himself off the team by being our best outfielder. While other teams are filling holes, the Mets are stuck in them.

And since last season they showed no interest in bringing back Jose Reyes for what would have been a reasonable contract for someone of his ilkm there's every reason to wonder whether our front office/ownership will do what needs to be done to bring this team around again.

That's where the no hope sentiment comes from, much more than the prospects and trade possibilities.

But as I'm fond of saying, reasonable people can disagree.

Look forward to exchanging thoughts on all things Mets going forward.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 12-09-2012 at 08:31 PM.
    FELLOW SATINISTS INCLUDE:
    FoC, YS, Harry, Zmaster, Gotta, ArkansasMetsFan, KingsnQueens7, The-rock-man, Wrigheyes4MVP, Vendetta, Jim Labruno

vCash
    As much as I love and miss having Reyes, I believe that he will never be a "winner". I see David Wright in different light.

vCash
    I'm not losing too much sleep over losing Reyes honestly. I think their are better ways to spend the money. We need to spend on a right handed power hitting OFer next offseason...whether we trade for Olt/Myers or not.

All in all, I am more pissed that we didn't trade Reyes for prospects. Thats my gripe. Not that we didn't sign him, but that we just let him walk for basically nothing. It was almost as if Reyes was doing so good that season that Sandy and company were too afraid to make the smart move and trade him for a haul of prospects. Its a shame, but I can't blame them too much because I was afraid of the idea of trading him as well.

As far as the future is concerned, I am optimistic. We haven't had these many good, young, difference making pitchers in quite some time. If Wheeler and Harvey become legit, they will be able to build around those two and Niese for years to come (thats without talking about the whole Dickey situation). I am excited for that.

This team will need to find a way to build up its core of everyday players, specifically by adding right handed hitters with some power to play the OF and possibly Catcher (tough position to fill though). That will be the real test going forward. Will the Wilpons spend the money? Will the Mets be able to build in this area through the farm? Will they have to trade from a position of strength (starting pitching)?

I wouldn't say I am overly optimistic that these things will work out. I am extremely optimistic about the future of this starting rotation, and hopeful that this team will improve in the other areas.

So overall, no I am not overly optimistic, but their are some great bright spots...and because of that I have hope.

I mean, whats the point of being a fan if you don't have any hope? Its one thing to be negative, but you gotta have some hope...especially when you have a few reasons to have hope (Wheeler, Harvey, Niese).

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    Nvmm
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-09-2012 at 08:56 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    For openers, welcome to our forum.

Just so you know, it's a common theme in these parts to question the loyalties of seemingly overly negative fans. Long story short, don't do it.

Disagree with their points, their arguments all you like, but don't think for a second they care any less for our team than you do. Their negativity probably stems from many years of followingf this team and many years of frustration along with spotting patterns that give one a feeling of deja vu.

I'm not arguing for or against that stance right now. I'm just explaining it as a matter of perspective. It;s never a good idea to tell someone in here you don't agree with that he should consider following another team. So don't do it.

Now, to the issue of hope: On the surface I'd agree with you. You look around and they just signed one of baseball's top thirde baseman for the rest of his career. There's young Ike Davis manning first with the ability to do really great things if he ever figures it out. Matt Harvey opened some eyes last season and Zach Wheeler isn't too far behind. There's nothing more that needs to be said about RA Dickey assuming he's coming back for at least one more season. And Jon Niese and Dillon Gee and anything they can get from Johan rounds out a very formidable rotation.

So yeah, right there is hope. But there are problems down below. Other than the Wright signing, it doesnt look like the team is investing in anyone who isn't an affordeable place holder. You know things are pathetic when Scott Hairston played himself off the team by being our best outfielder. While other teams are filling holes, the Mets are stuck in them.

And since last season they showed no interest in bringing back Jose Reyes for what would have been a reasonable contract for someone of his ilkm there's every reason to wonder whether our front office/ownership will do what needs to be done to bring this team around again.

That's where the no hope sentiment comes from, much more than the prospects and trade possibilities.

But as I'm fond of saying, reasonable people can disagree.

Look forward to exchanging thoughts on all things Mets going forward.
    I understand what you're saying. This is just on a whole different level for this one poster, but that's fine.

And I've been around this forum for a long time, I just don't post as often as others.

If You Ain't Huckin, You Ain't ****in

vCash
    I understand what you're saying. This is just on a whole different level for this one poster, but that's fine.

And I've been around this forum for a long time, I just don't post as often as others.
    I think I know what poster you are talking about lol.

His sig annoys me, thats all I will say about that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    I mean, whats the point of being a fan if you don't have any hope? Its one thing to be negative, but you gotta have some hope...especially when you have a few reasons to have hope (Wheeler, Harvey, Niese).
    That's what i don't understand either, the team sucks and yes they haven't done much over the last 4 seasons but why bother even having an opinion on the team if someone doesn't think things will change till 2020 at the very earliest?

How is that being a fan?

Go root for another team if that's the case.

vCash
    After wading through this thread I still have high hopes for the Mets.

But I have absolutely no hope that we will ever be able to have a completely constructive, positive, amicable thread, without disrespect, name calling and hatred for the FO and owners.

BTW, the official meaning of BRB is Back of Rotation Bums.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash

Fair enough. And i hear what you're saying too.
    FELLOW SATINISTS INCLUDE:
    FoC, YS, Harry, Zmaster, Gotta, ArkansasMetsFan, KingsnQueens7, The-rock-man, Wrigheyes4MVP, Vendetta, Jim Labruno

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    A ton of negativity here...yeesh.
    the title of the thread is "How is there any hope?"...not "Being a Mets fan leaves me feeling inspired about today and tomorrow"...It's like on a forum(not here obviously) that allows NSFW types of posts, you click on a thread titled NSFW and then complain that the content is "inappropriate"...which is kind of what NSFW implies...

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast