Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    vCash
    Signing players that are near Wright's age is the right answer, since they'll all decline at around the same time. So basically I feel next season we should go all out with our signings to mitigate the loss of draft picks, and to make us a legit contender.

Prado, Hill, and Hart are my targets for LF, 2B, and RF. They would all be roughly the same age opening day 2014 at 31-32. If this deal goes through, I'd love to see a team like this since they will have obvious money to spend:

C-Travis D'Arnaud(25)
    1B-Ike Davis(27)
    2B-Aaron Hill(32)
    SS-Ruben Tejada(24)
    3B-David Wright(31)
    LF-Martin Prado(32)
    CF-Nieuwenhuis/den Dekker(26)
    RF-Corey Hart(32)

Starters: Matt Harvey, Zack Wheeler, Jon Niese, Dillon Gee, Rafael Montero/Tyler Pill/Jacob Degrom, etc.

Syndergaard, Mateo, and Fulmer waiting in the wings in AA or AAA.

That is a team that could contend, and no one is too old to be an issue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Signing players that are near Wright's age is the right answer, since they'll all decline at around the same time. So basically I feel next season we should go all out with our signings to mitigate the loss of draft picks, and to make us a legit contender.

Prado, Hill, and Hart are my targets for LF, 2B, and RF. They would all be roughly the same age opening day 2014 at 31-32. If this deal goes through, I'd love to see a team like this since they will have obvious money to spend:

C-Travis D'Arnaud(25)
    1B-Ike Davis(27)
    2B-Aaron Hill(32)
    SS-Ruben Tejada(24)
    3B-David Wright(31)
    LF-Martin Prado(32)
    RF-Corey Hart(32)

Starters: Matt Harvey, Zack Wheeler, Jon Niese, Dillon Gee, Rafael Montero/Tyler Pill/Jacob Degrom, etc.

Cool write up. Also who would you have on our bench?

vCash
    Signing players that are near Wright's age is the right answer, since they'll all decline at around the same time.
    Why? We should always be trying to get better and younger regardless of how old guys are. Atlanta and Washington are stacked. We need to be ready to contend as an entire organization, not go all in and fizzle and be right here again in 3 years.
    So basically I feel next season we should go all out with our signings to mitigate the loss of draft picks, and to make us a legit contender.

C-Travis D'Arnaud(25)
    1B-Ike Davis(27)
    2B-Aaron Hill(32)
    SS-Ruben Tejada(24)
    3B-David Wright(31)
    LF-Martin Prado(32)
    RF-Corey Hart(32)

It all depends on what type of deals these guys command and whether they're actually available.
    "If we could talk about it and get (to the playoffs), it would've already been done. We know that talking won't get it done. We have to earn it." - Jets Coach Rex Ryan
    #hatersgonnahate

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Why? We should always be trying to get better and younger regardless of how old guys are. Atlanta and Washington are stacked. We need to be ready to contend as an entire organization, not go all in and fizzle and be right here again in 3 years.

It all depends on what type of deals these guys command and whether they're actually available.
    Eh, Atlanta is NOT stacked. Chipper is gone now and Upton is not as good as Bourn. When Hudson retires and they lose Prado to us(hopefully), they won't be nearly as good, but still very competitive of course.

To get even better and younger would have required us to trade Reyes and Wright when we had the chance. Since we re-signed Wright, there has to be a plan to compete maybe not immediately, but soon. I don't want to start competing when Wright is 35 ready to fall of in production, that wouldn't be good for anyone, and especially for him who committed to us hoping he would win a title here.

I wouldn't go over 5 years of any of those guys, but the money they get really doesn't matter since we have money to spend and a lot of payroll flexibility. Those 3 guys would make a huge impact on this team, and the pitching we have could make us a winner easily.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    Cool write up. Also who would you have on our bench?
    Doesn't really matter, but I'd say something like Baxter, Turner, Buck/Francisco Pena, Wilfredo Tovar, and maybe a bench outfield bat preferably with a little power. The bench would be the least of our concerns.

vCash
    You guys think Gorski might be in the deal?
    GO METS!

19 Inning game...and the Pirates get ROBBED! Jerry Meals should get FIRED! And then just work for the Braves. What a shame for baseball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYM-RMCF-DM View Post
    I'll pack his bags.

vCash
    I'll pack his bags.
    (:
    GO METS!

19 Inning game...and the Pirates get ROBBED! Jerry Meals should get FIRED! And then just work for the Braves. What a shame for baseball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYM-RMCF-DM View Post
    I could see someone like Jack Leathersich being involved, a guy with an INSANE K/9 rate.

vCash
    Eh, Atlanta is NOT stacked. Chipper is gone now and Upton is not as good as Bourn. When Hudson retires and they lose Prado to us(hopefully), they won't be nearly as good, but still very competitive of course.
    These are guys that mattered 5 years ago. I'm not really an Upton fan. What about Brian McCann? He's a holdover from that era and he's 28. I don't get the all in for guys the same age as Wright thing. It should always be a priority to get good young talent.

I'm talking about starters like Beachy and Delgado, a bullpen with Walden-Venters-Kimbrel, and two guys like Heyward and Freeman whose best days are still ahead of them.
    To get even better and younger would have required us to trade Reyes and Wright when we had the chance. Since we re-signed Wright, there has to be a plan to compete maybe not immediately, but soon. I don't want to start competing when Wright is 35 ready to fall of in production, that wouldn't be good for anyone, and especially for him who committed to us hoping he would win a title here.

I wouldn't go over 5 years of any of those guys, but the money they get really doesn't matter since we have money to spend and a lot of payroll flexibility. Those 3 guys would make a huge impact on this team, and the pitching we have could make us a winner easily.
    I don't understand going all in for a 3 year window. Thats not a long term vision. Thats a guarantee that even if it is a success we're in the same spot again in 3 years. And the thing about having to get guys that are the same age so they can decline at the same time guarantees there can't be sustained success.
    "If we could talk about it and get (to the playoffs), it would've already been done. We know that talking won't get it done. We have to earn it." - Jets Coach Rex Ryan
    #hatersgonnahate

vCash
    I would love to have Corey Hart here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    These are guys that mattered 5 years ago. I'm not really an Upton fan. What about Brian McCann? He's a holdover from that era and he's 28. I don't get the all in for guys the same age as Wright thing. It should always be a priority to get good young talent.

I'm talking about starters like Beachy and Delgado, a bullpen with Walden-Venters-Kimbrel, and two guys like Heyward and Freeman whose best days are still ahead of them.

I don't understand going all in for a 3 year window. Thats not a long term vision. Thats a guarantee that even if it is a success we're in the same spot again in 3 years. And the thing about having to get guys that are the same age so they can decline at the same time guarantees there can't be sustained success.
    We've done a great job rebuilding the organization, but our bats are still very far away and it's going to take longer than Wright's contract to develop real talent from within. Banking on guys like Nimmo, Cecchini, etc. is more likely to fail than succeed.

There is no reason why we can't spend a load of money on free agents because that doesn't sacrifice the future like trades do. I think it's only fair to Wright to give him an opportunity to win, otherwise I would have traded him too.

vCash
    We've done a great job rebuilding the organization, but our bats are still very far away and it's going to take longer than Wright's contract to develop real talent from within. Banking on guys like Nimmo, Cecchini, etc. is more likely to fail than succeed.

There is no reason why we can't spend a load of money on free agents because that doesn't sacrifice the future like trades do. I think it's only fair to Wright to give him an opportunity to win, otherwise I would have traded him too.
    I'm not saying we shouldn't spend money, I'm saying there's no reason to force a move by overpaying or giving up prospects. I don't think there have been any good fits out there.

I'd be down for quite a few of the players you mentioned. Not so sure about Aaron Hill, but maybe Prado at 2B. But still that depends on what price they come at. I would overpay for a 1 or 2 or maybe 3 year deal but I'm not giving up a bunch in a trade.
    Last edited by Sandman; 12-16-2012 at 08:45 PM.
    #hatersgonnahate

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011