Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 163
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    You have a specific mindset and that's really about it.

    It's not about the perceived education you think you are so gracefully passing down to everyone. It's your thing and i wouldn't expect you to deviate from it.

    You can say "Why should I?" but past events don't always dictate future outcomes.

    Turn your sarcasm meter on. And read back a little.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    19,289
    vCash
    5000
    It means we need to come correct if we want to challenge.

    The Braves and Nats are built to last and the Phils aren't done yet.

    It means putting forth the best effort to field the best team, but it also means we shouldn't over pursue.

    Why should we stretch to try to open a 1-year window?

    Stay the course! Doesn't appear to be anybody to spend the money on.

    Let our young pitchers pitch. Our staff is going to need to be serious to compete with Atlanta and Washington for the next 4-5 years.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    22,223
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    When has the team ever been accountable on or off the field?

    They want people to come back to the park, and they know they only need a little bit of flimsy hope to do so, they're never going to build a monster team, they know they don't need too.

    There are more than enough casual fans in NYC who will go along as long as the team is embarrassing itself.

    All you people that think the Mets are going top go out and spend serious money in FA next year and beyond are crazy. They give themselves flexibility with Bay etc and then they don't spend it. All they're doing is allowing themselves to spend less this year by adding it onto future payrolls, meaning less flex down the line.

    Why doesn't a team with a low payroll from 2014 onwards think their own CY Young winning ace SP, is worth 2/25?

    That would give us an ACE for three season from just over $30M.

    And you think they';re gonna spend big soon? they couldn't even sign Scotty Hairston.

    I'll ask again tell me how adding guys on 1-2 years deals kills the future?
    Why don't you address my point first?

    About this team could be better with a 75-80 million dollar payroll in 2014 then they ever were with 130-140 million payrolls in 2009, 2010, etc etc..

    If they have that little payroll going into 2014 with 2 players under contract (3 if Dickey re-signs) there is no reason why they couldn't significantly improve the team with that much money to work with in an offseason.

    And that is not asking to them be the New York Yankees, that's not even asking them to be the Minnesota Twins..
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-09-2012 at 10:30 AM.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Why don't you address my point first?

    About this team could be better with a 75-80 million dollar payroll in 2014 then they ever were with 130-140 million payrolls in 2009, 2010, etc etc..

    If they have that little payroll going into 2014 with 2 players under contract (3 if Dickey re-signs) there is no reason why they couldn't significantly improve the team with that much money to work with in an offseason.

    And that is not asking to them be the New York Yankees.

    What point were you actually trying to make?

    That it's possible the team might be better in 2014 than it was thru 3-4 disgustingly awful seasons?

    It's not much of a point is it? I agree it could be.

    Remember with only 2-3 players under contract, that supposed flexibility will start disappearing very fast with so many guys to resign etc It's a low start number but it's also a team with hardly any talent on it.

    Now answer me why they don;'t RA is worth 2/25 or how signing guys on 1-2 year deals kills the future?


    I know how you're all thinking , you're thinking if we tank as hard as possible this year, then everything will be much better next year, it's just not that simple.

    The Mets don't want to pay anyone, whenever a FA is mentioned it's always the same story, yet everything is going to change next year and they're gonna start overpaying talent to come here?

    Not buying it.
    Last edited by Marty Mcfly; 12-09-2012 at 10:35 AM.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    22,223
    vCash
    1500
    And my answer to your question is that this team is not ready yet..

    Not with 2 premiere TORP guys (1 who hasn't pitched a major league game yet) ready and waiting.

    If those progress the way they should next year 2014 will put them in a much better position to compete with an already similar record and a much better prospective roster with 2 seem to be aces headlining their rotation.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    10,400
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    I have hope that by 2020 we'll have finished 3rd at least.
    2020!!!!!

    McFly takes the lead in discussing the Mets future.

    Do I hear 2021????

    These dates are starting to catch up with the propose moon colony.

    Is Citi Field's replacement on the drawing board????

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    19,289
    vCash
    5000
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Now answer me why they don;'t RA is worth 2/25 or how signing guys on 1-2 year deals kills the future?
    Where did 2/25 come from? I thought RA was reportedly looking for 3/45
    The Mets don't want to pay anyone, whenever a FA is mentioned it's always the same story, yet everything is going to change next year and they're gonna start overpaying talent to come here?
    lol

    David Wright says HI

    And there hasn't been a big free agent that has looked to me like a good fit.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    22,223
    vCash
    1500
    Nvm..
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-09-2012 at 10:49 AM.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    And my answer to your question is that this team is not ready yet..

    Not with 2 premiere TORP guys (1 who hasn't pitched a major league game yet) ready and waiting.

    If those progress the way they should next year 2014 will put them in a much better position to compete with an already similar record and a much better prospective roster with 2 seem to be aces headlining their rotation.
    How do you know what it's 'ready'?


    How do 1-2 year guys ruin the future? why is 2/25 too much for CY winner? why have they give themselves flex and then not spent a nickel?

    The team was 'ready' to win every year for 5 years according to fans. media, the team itself etc, they won nothing, and actually embarked upon a truly disastrous 4-5 years.

    TORP???? I don't know what this means, but you've penciled him in as an ace with one hand, and then stated that he's yet to pitch a single inning yet? Seems a bit contradictory to me.


    I find your rationale extremely flimsy and simplistic, sorry but just saying 'we might have two quality young starters' isn't enough, why would we have a much better prospective roster?

    Not buying it.


    Tell me who the Mets are going to sign to make them contenders and how much they will cost?

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    11,371
    vCash
    1500
    The only hope is that Selig takes away the team from the Tampons

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Where did 2/25 come from? I thought RA was reportedly looking for 3/45

    lol

    David Wright says HI

    And there hasn't been a big free agent that has looked to me like a good fit.


    Metsblog.


    Stand pat move. Failing to resign DW would have meant attendance apocalypse.


    There never is a big FA who looks a fit according to the Mets.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    22,223
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    How do you know what it's 'ready'?


    How do 1-2 year guys ruin the future? why is 2/25 too much for CY winner? why have they give themselves flex and then not spent a nickel?

    The team was 'ready' to win every year for 5 years according to fans. media, the team itself etc, they won nothing, and actually embarked upon a truly disastrous 4-5 years.

    TORP???? I don't know what this means, but you've penciled him in as an ace with one hand, and then stated that he's yet to pitch a single inning yet? Seems a bit contradictory to me.


    I find your rationale extremely flimsy and simplistic, sorry but just saying 'we might have two quality young starters' isn't enough, why would we have a much better prospective roster?

    Not buying it.


    Tell me who the Mets are going to sign to make them contenders and how much they will cost?
    Look at Wright's and Reye's stats in 2004...

    The Mets were confident in what they had, 2 potential cornerstone pieces, and began to build a team around them.

    Pedro Martinez, Carlos Beltran for 2005.

    That 2005 won 83 games, then they made those splashes in 2006 for LoDuca, Delgado, etc etc which was one game from the WS.

    It's an incremental process.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-09-2012 at 10:55 AM.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    22,223
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    What point were you actually trying to make?

    That it's possible the team might be better in 2014 than it was thru 3-4 disgustingly awful seasons?

    It's not much of a point is it?

    Remember with only 2-3 players under contract, that supposed flexibility will start disappearing very fast with so many guys to resign etc It's a low start number but it's also a team with hardly any talent on it.
    2009 was a waste due to injury but 2010 and 2011 (even this year to some extent) were disgustingly awful seasons.

    2010 and 2011 weren't terrible seasons. They won enough games that if things had broken right or if they had a Wheeler or Harvey type over a whole season things could have been distinctly different.

    Terrible seasons are what you would call the Cubs being this year or the Astros. Those teams need entire reconstruction, this team does not.

    Wheeler, Harvey, Niese, Gee, and Dickey (if he is here) could be a much better rotation than any of those teams had in 2010 and 2011. And incredibly cheaper as well which should allow them to fix the other holes on this team.

    Thats my point, you are getting similar production and a similar win-loss record for what the Mets were paying 140 million dollars to get.

    Now after next season they can get that type of production for 1/4 of that 140 million dollars.

    That should give this team money to spend with a roster already built to win 70-75 games before any FA or trades.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    29,350
    vCash
    1500
    The george Allen philosophy doesn't work unless you can all in like the Yankees.
    And even they are trying to get a payroll under 189 threshold.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    2009 was a waste due to injury but 2010 and 2011 (even this year to some extent) were disgustingly awful seasons.

    2010 and 2011 weren't terrible seasons. They won enough games that if things had broken right or if they had a Wheeler or Harvey type over a whole season things could have been distinctly different.

    Terrible seasons are what you would call the Cubs being this year or the Astros. Those teams need entire reconstruction, this team does not and won't even if they only bring back Duda.

    Wheeler, Harvey, Niese, Gee, and Dickey (if he is here) could be a much better rotation than any of those teams had in 2010 and 2011. And incredibly cheaper as well which should allow them to fix the other holes on this team.

    Thats my point, you are getting similar production and a similar win-loss record for what the Mets were paying 140 million dollars to get.

    Now after next season they can get that type of production for 1/4 of that 140 million dollars.

    That should give this team money to spend with a roster already built to win 70-75 games before any FA or trades.

    I think you're drawing a ton of conclusions based on pretty simplistic logic, but we'll see how it all pans out.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •