Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 164

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5,097
    vCash
    1500

    How is there any hope ?

    I don't know where to put this in order to get a discussion going.Feel free to move it if you want but just let me know where you did.

    The Phillies got better with Revere and Young, ( do not underestimate Michael Young, he is going to have a very positive influence there), and Halladay is back full time.

    The Nats got better with Haran and Span, plus Strasburg will be there for the entire season and Harper will have a full year under his belt. If Haran reverts back to form, the Nats with Strassberg, Gonzalez, Zimmerman and Haran could have the best rotation in baseball.

    The Braves got better with Upton and added to their bullpen which was among the very best.

    The Marlins got worse.

    So far the Mets stayed the same with the exception I guess that Harvey will be here for the entire year and hopefully Gee and Santana.

    We have the worst OF in the majors and judging what is out there and the lack of money we have no matter who we sign or trade for will mark only a very small improvement. Add this to the fact that there is no one in the minors who is remotely ready to contribute.

    So as Met fans we go into the season with virtually no hope of appearing in the post season and probably set for another 4th place finish again. In addition to the Phillies, Nats and Braves, The Reds, Cards, Dodgers, Giants, Diamondbacks and possibly the Pirates are all better than us.

    Is there anyone who realistically, and I mean realistically can change this outlook.
    Last edited by NY Sports Fan; 12-09-2012 at 03:54 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Aurora, CO (HT Queens, NY)
    Posts
    11,454
    vCash
    1500
    1. Young is most likely done i'm calling it, he's not much of an improvement the only improvement the Phillies are adding is more age (Young is 36, Utley 33, Howard 33) They are getting older, only thing to watch out on the Phillies is there pitching.

    2. Nats have gotten better but Haren has not been the type of pitcher he use to be so it could be said that it could either be low risk high reward or vice versa with that pick up. He still k's alot of guys Nats easily have the best pitching in our divison.

    3. BJ Upton is a cancer and not a great pickup for the Braves but yes they did improve there bullpen.

    4. Don't even get me started with the Marlins.

    4 Reasons to look foward to the Mets this season -

    1. We are gonna have Harvey for a whole year!!!

    2. Will Dickey stay or will he go? If we can get Myers from the Royals that will certaintly bolster our weak outfield.

    3. We have great starting pitcher depth

    4. We will see a taste of what we have next year. I truly feel 2014 will be our year to compete with Wheeler!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Aurora, CO (HT Queens, NY)
    Posts
    11,454
    vCash
    1500
    ^ Also forgot to metion, what if Ike rebounds? Alot of what ifs this season a stud Santana would help too.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    10,400
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsnQueens7 View Post
    1. Young is most likely done i'm calling it, he's not much of an improvement the only improvement the Phillies are adding is more age (Young is 36, Utley 33, Howard 33) They are getting older, only thing to watch out on the Phillies is there pitching.

    2. Nats have gotten better but Haren has not been the type of pitcher he use to be so it could be said that it could either be low risk high reward or vice versa with that pick up. He still k's alot of guys Nats easily have the best pitching in our divison.

    3. BJ Upton is a cancer and not a great pickup for the Braves but yes they did improve there bullpen.

    4. Don't even get me started with the Marlins.

    4 Reasons to look foward to the Mets this season -

    1. We are gonna have Harvey for a whole year!!!

    2. Will Dickey stay or will he go? If we can get Myers from the Royals that will certaintly bolster our weak outfield.

    3. We have great starting pitcher depth

    4. We will see a taste of what we have next year. I truly feel 2014 will be our year to compete with Wheeler!
    So the Mets master plan is to stand still while other teams deteriorate. We move past teams by hoping the drift below us. Not a great plan.

    What you fail to mention is this…if all those players the other teams are signing do not pan out (Young, Haren, Upton), those teams will just go out and get someone else. Teams that want to win, make moves when the have to to remain competitive. They will eat contracts, re-arrange contracts, adjust budgets, trade prospects etc. They get the job done.

    The Mets worry about holding onto AA possibles so they can maybe get them to the show and "maintain control" into 2018. The Phillies, Bracves and Nats are trying to win now. Phillies may be in decline (may be) but they are at least trying to hold on to something. All we can say is that we have good announcers and just wait for two years from now. The Phillies are good now and will take whatever steps necessary to still be good two years from now. The Braves have been good forever. But we always have a better draft position and we have our eye on some kid from Idaho Prep.

    Our strategy is to maintain mediocrity. We have succeeded.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota48 View Post
    So the Mets master plan is to stand still while other teams deteriorate. We move past teams by hoping the drift below us. Not a great plan.

    What you fail to mention is this…if all those players the other teams are signing do not pan out (Young, Haren, Upton), those teams will just go out and get someone else. Teams that want to win, make moves when the have to to remain competitive. They will eat contracts, re-arrange contracts, adjust budgets, trade prospects etc. They get the job done.

    The Mets worry about holding onto AA possibles so they can maybe get them to the show and "maintain control" into 2018. The Phillies, Bracves and Nats are trying to win now. Phillies may be in decline (may be) but they are at least trying to hold on to something. All we can say is that we have good announcers and just wait for two years from now. The Phillies are good now and will take whatever steps necessary to still be good two years from now. The Braves have been good forever. But we always have a better draft position and we have our eye on some kid from Idaho Prep.

    Our strategy is to maintain mediocrity. We have succeeded.


    Brilliant post.

    Can you believe this nonsense about everything coming up rosy in 2014?

    LOL!!! They'll just do the same thing all over again, build another mediocre team as cheaply as they dare.

    What have the done this year to IMPROVE with the supposed new-found flexibility?

    I'll tell you what they've done Yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap.
    Last edited by Marty Mcfly; 12-09-2012 at 09:07 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,792
    vCash
    1500
    2013 isn't going to amount to much.

    Like i said i think they are hitching their wagon on Wheeler and Harvey developing further before they make significant acquisitions.

    It's not a popular or "right" decision in the eyes of most but this team is still a work in progress even with acquisitions like I.E. Ludwick for example.

    They should be looking for FA or trade help this offseason though but only if it's for the longer term..

    It's hard to piece a team together on one year deals especially with older guys (Like Pierzynski or Ludwick for example) unless you have an already winning foundation like the Yankees.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-09-2012 at 04:42 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    2013 isn't going to amount to much.

    Like i said i think they are hitching their wagon on Wheeler and Harvey developing further before they make significant acquisitions.

    It's not a popular or "right" decision in the eyes of most but this team is still a work in progress even with acquisitions like I.E. Ludwick for example.

    They should be looking for FA or trade help this offseason though but only if it's for the longer term..

    It's hard to piece a team together on one year deals especially with older guys (Like Pierzynski or Ludwick for example) unless you have an already winning foundation like the Yankees.


    But it's all going to fall into place in 2014 for the Mets without a winning foundation?

    Ok.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    [/B]

    But it's all going to fall into place in 2014 for the Mets without a winning foundation?

    Ok.
    This team is not going out there next year and take 5-10 games steps back.

    Expect a similar record next year with 2 emerging aces, then they can make more significant acquisitions.

    I am saying bringing quality veterans on a one year deal doesn't partake in the long term improvement of this team.

    Wheeler and Harvey are close to emerging into possible franchise pitchers but they are not there yet.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-09-2012 at 08:30 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I said not the AJ Pierzynskis and Ryan Ludwicks of the world who would not be part of our longer term plans.

    This team is not going out there next year and taking 5-10 games steps back.

    Expect a similar record next year with 2 emerging aces, then they can make more significant acquisitions.

    Whatever dude, I don't buy this pie in the sky garbage about everything just falling into place in 2014. I expect another terrible season with tons of excuses for not improving the team in 2013, falling revenue and then more broken promises for 2014.

    Signing guys on 1-2 year deals does not hinder a single thing going forward. Not a thing.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Whatever dude, I don't buy this pie in the sky garbage about everything just falling into place in 2014. I expect another terrible season with tons of excuses for not improving the team in 2013, falling revenue and then more broken promises for 2014.

    Signing guys on 1-2 year deals does not hinder a single thing going forward. Not a thing.
    Well i see them doing quite a bit going into 2014, they've basically cornered themselves into doing it with how vocal they have been about having more flexibility after next season.

    They have to make an attempt at winning because otherwise they will continue to lose significant revenue as less and less people show up. They'll be lucky to break 2 million this year and that's only if this team starts off well.

    It's counterproductive not to, the most money they would make through the season is based on attendance and gameday related revenue at the ballpark.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-09-2012 at 08:56 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    30,628
    vCash
    1500
    To add insult to injury, we seem to have lost our best outfielder, Scott Hairston.

    As bad as we were last year, we can be even worse in 2013.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    24,258
    vCash
    1500
    We won't be great in 2013... That was known from day one.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,792
    vCash
    1500
    I think the Phillies are just grasping at straws looking to preserve a once very good team.

    The truth is their bullpen is not very good, Utley has started to show his age and has been injured quite a bit in the last 3 years, Howard is in decline and coming off a subpar season, and same with Halladay.

    Rollins is not getting any younger either and neither is Young for that matter.

    He is an upgrade over what they had but he is 36 and wasn't the same hitter last year he has been in the past.

    They may have more payroll flexibility but Ruben Amaro Jr has made some questionable moves over the last 2 or 3 years.

    The Phillies will probably finish better than we do this year but the Mets are looking up if they find a way to improve the roster whereas the Phillies have significant age and issues in key areas.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-09-2012 at 05:43 AM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    Posts
    16,093
    vCash
    1500
    No matter how I might spin what the other teams have done and what we have (or haven't) we own 4th place in 2013.

    Another inspiring season with hope, prayers and wishful thinking to look forward too......

    For all you guys who say be patient, - it's been only a quarter century and counting since our last WS banner......quite embarrassing, wouldn't you say?.....

    We are New York, shouldn't we be the BEST?

    Sorry, no excuses. This is a direct result of poor, management decision-making over the time frame. With the exceptions of 1988, 2000 and 2006, if I'm correct, we've been irrelevant. Just by writing this gets my blood boiling.

    Oh well, time for another high blood pressure pill.....

    Let us just hope that one of any three pitchers we bring up from our farm system and I don't care whom, pitches effectively and consistently for us.

    It would be a pleasant beginning at least.

    Please no Bill Pulsiphers, Jason Isringhausens or Paul Wilsons.

    For regulars: Please no Alex Escobars, Lasting Milledges, Victor Diazs, etc.

    Shea Stadium Scoreboard May 31, 1964



    Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

    ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Queens New York
    Posts
    576
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie6986 View Post
    No matter how I might spin what the other teams have done and what we have (or haven't) we own 4th place in 2013.

    Another inspiring season with hope, prayers and wishful thinking to look forward too......

    For all you guys who say be patient, - it's been only a quarter century and counting since our last WS banner......quite embarrassing, wouldn't you say?.....

    We are New York, shouldn't we be the BEST?

    Sorry, no excuses. This is a direct result of poor, management decision-making over the time frame. With the exceptions of 1988, 2000 and 2006, if I'm correct, we've been irrelevant. Just by writing this gets my blood boiling.

    Oh well, time for another high blood pressure pill.....

    Let us just hope that one of any three pitchers we bring up from our farm system and I don't care whom, pitches effectively and consistently for us.

    It would be a pleasant beginning at least.

    Please no Bill Pulsiphers, Jason Isringhausens or Paul Wilsons.

    For regulars: Please no Alex Escobars, Lasting Milledges, Victor Diazs,
    etc.
    THIS!!!!

    Everyone wants to hitch their wagon on 2014 because of our Farm System. I have been a Met fan since 1994 I've seen this kind of Philosophy a few times now. Remember "Justin Huber" "Phillip Humber" "Aaron Heilman" "Grant Roberts" all of those guys? We can easily have a new Dynasty coming up from the farm, or we can have another Generation K -_-. I wish the team would have just been honest and said "We;re rebuilding" instead they do nothing every off season, then try to tell us that we're going to be competitive. I have been watching Baseball since I was 8 years old, I know Talent when I see it, don't lie to me.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •