Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    7,915
    vCash
    1500

    Top 5 Favorite Blackhawks of All-Time

    Things around here are really slow, so let's have some fun. I've been watching some classic goals, fights, and game clips on YouTube lately in order to fill my NHL void. In all of the public bickering that's been going on and my own general disdain for the league right now, it's been easy to forget just how much I've loved this team for the last 20 years of my life. So, let's all name our top 5 favorite Blackhawks and why we still love them!

    1. Jeremy Roenick
    He was the total package. In my opinion there hasn't been a more entertaining hockey player to put on the Blackhawks sweater since. JR stood out from every other player on the ice in the first Blackhawks game I ever watched. From that moment on, I was hooked! I'll never forget him leaving the game with the help of the trainer after getting knocked unconscious on the ice and breaking his jaw for the first time. One week later, he returned and had a multi-point night against Boston. He played with that jaw piece of his helmet and it didn't change his game at all. He was still reckless. He still threw punishing hits. And I recall him going after Rob Pearson in a game with the Blues at the UC after Pearson had hit Chelios from behind. Roenick was the first to respond, and took a shot to his surgically repaired jaw and still stood in there and pushed back. Heart, excitement, and Chicago through and through. That's what JR was to me!

    2. Ed Belfour
    Eddie will always be a Blackhawk to me. In one word -- he was fire! He was competitive, and don't you dare get near his crease. Perhaps the most entertaining goaltender we've ever seen in Chicago. I was crushed when we traded him, especially for such an underwhelming return. No offense to Jeff Hackett, whom I liked, but Eddie was always the better goaltender. Wirtz broke up what could've been a Stanley Cup winner because... well, it doesn't need to be said. We all know.

    3. Bob Probert
    Bob was a great man and few knew it. Did you know that he made trips to visit soldiers in Afghanistan? Or that he anonymously paid for a young boy from Los Angeles to have a life-saving surgery? His 1995-96 season was one of the best of his career. Probert scored 19 goals that year, including 3 game-winners. It was nothing short of shameful how the Blackhawks treated him at the end. Bob deserved better than that.

    4. Jonathan Toews
    Can't have this list without the first Blackhawk to touch the Stanley Cup in almost 50 years. He's meant more to this organization than any other player in that time span as well. He's no doubt one of the very best captains in the game, and I believe by his career's end he'll be the single greatest captain in Blackhawks history, and have multiple Stanley Cups to his resume as well.

    5. Tuomo Ruutu
    Yes, Tuomo Ruutu. He gave us hope. Before there was Toews or Kane, there was Ruutu. The second half of his rookie year was so much fun to watch, and it inspired hope that things were going to change. Even though he was never able to keep that momentum going, I believe he was the guy who began to change the culture of the fans to believe that something better was in our future. For that reason, I'll always remember Ruutu fondly.

    1934 1938 1961 2010 2013

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,834
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    Things around here are really slow, so let's have some fun. I've been watching some classic goals, fights, and game clips on YouTube lately in order to fill my NHL void. In all of the public bickering that's been going on and my own general disdain for the league right now, it's been easy to forget just how much I've loved this team for the last 20 years of my life. So, let's all name our top 5 favorite Blackhawks and why we still love them!

    1. Jeremy Roenick
    He was the total package. In my opinion there hasn't been a more entertaining hockey player to put on the Blackhawks sweater since. JR stood out from every other player on the ice in the first Blackhawks game I ever watched. From that moment on, I was hooked! I'll never forget him leaving the game with the help of the trainer after getting knocked unconscious on the ice and breaking his jaw for the first time. One week later, he returned and had a multi-point night against Boston. He played with that jaw piece of his helmet and it didn't change his game at all. He was still reckless. He still threw punishing hits. And I recall him going after Rob Pearson in a game with the Blues at the UC after Pearson had hit Chelios from behind. Roenick was the first to respond, and took a shot to his surgically repaired jaw and still stood in there and pushed back. Heart, excitement, and Chicago through and through. That's what JR was to me!

    2. Ed Belfour
    Eddie will always be a Blackhawk to me. In one word -- he was fire! He was competitive, and don't you dare get near his crease. Perhaps the most entertaining goaltender we've ever seen in Chicago. I was crushed when we traded him, especially for such an underwhelming return. No offense to Jeff Hackett, whom I liked, but Eddie was always the better goaltender. Wirtz broke up what could've been a Stanley Cup winner because... well, it doesn't need to be said. We all know.

    3. Bob Probert
    Bob was a great man and few knew it. Did you know that he made trips to visit soldiers in Afghanistan? Or that he anonymously paid for a young boy from Los Angeles to have a life-saving surgery? His 1995-96 season was one of the best of his career. Probert scored 19 goals that year, including 3 game-winners. It was nothing short of shameful how the Blackhawks treated him at the end. Bob deserved better than that.

    4. Jonathan Toews
    Can't have this list without the first Blackhawk to touch the Stanley Cup in almost 50 years. He's meant more to this organization than any other player in that time span as well. He's no doubt one of the very best captains in the game, and I believe by his career's end he'll be the single greatest captain in Blackhawks history, and have multiple Stanley Cups to his resume as well.

    5. Tuomo Ruutu
    Yes, Tuomo Ruutu. He gave us hope. Before there was Toews or Kane, there was Ruutu. The second half of his rookie year was so much fun to watch, and it inspired hope that things were going to change. Even though he was never able to keep that momentum going, I believe he was the guy who began to change the culture of the fans to believe that something better was in our future. For that reason, I'll always remember Ruutu fondly.
    He was also traded for Ladd, so not bad at all. As for my list, it's mostly newer guys as I never really saw too much of the older guys play.

    1. Jonathan Toews- Yes, it makes me look like a new fan, but Toews is just that fun to watch.

    2. Denis Savard- Loved watching those spin-o-rama plays he'd have. His wife actually came in my line at work once. True story.

    3. Eric Daze- I'm starting to show when I really got into the Hawks. Daze was a big player and very solid for his time.

    4. Tony Amonte- This guy was the man, and IMO, one of the most underrated players from that time. 11 years of scoring 20+ goals, and getting over 40 a few times.

    5. Jeremy Roenick. Didn't get to see him play for us really, but loved watching him play in general. I'll always remember him crying when we won the Cup

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    13,204
    vCash
    1500
    Off the top of my head...

    1. Jeremy Roenick
    2. Jonathan Toews
    3. Tony Amonte
    4. Denis Savard
    5. Duncan Keith (the old Duncan Keith...)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    7,837
    vCash
    1500
    1. Jonathan Toews
    2. Chris Chelios
    3. Patrick Sharp
    4. Denis Savard
    5. Steve Sullivan


    My all time favorite who I never had a chance of watching would be Tony Esposito
    FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER ChiTownGuido23


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    13,204
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by cubsbears1225 View Post
    1. Jonathan Toews
    2. Chris Chelios
    3. Patrick Sharp
    4. Denis Savard
    5. Steve Sullivan


    My all time favorite who I never had a chance of watching would be Tony Esposito
    Man, I used to love Steve Sullivan.

    Also...I used to like Joe Murphy. Looking back, I think it was because I was young and liked the number 17, but still weird because it is Joe Murphy. Jeff Shantz and Bernie Nicholls as well.

    EDIT: One more "obscure" name that I loved...Michael Nylander. Watching that guy with the puck go around in circles was awesome.
    Last edited by Boom!; 12-10-2012 at 04:45 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wrigleyville, IL
    Posts
    3,146
    vCash
    1500
    My top 5 favorites?

    1. Tony Amonte
    2. Jonathan Toews
    3. Jeremy Roenick
    4. Steve Larmer
    5. Dirk Graham

    I liked all the guys from the early 90s teams, thats when I first started really getting into hockey. When they made the Cup, I was about 11 years old and it was the best (even though the outcome sucked)



    My two honorable mentions;

    Brent Sopel - laugh all you want, I just loved his stay at home defensive face the few years he was here. He loved this city and would block anything when he was on the ice.

    Wayne Campbell/Garth Algar - playing hockey in the street in Hawks jerseys and eating donuts at Mikita's Donuts deserves some credit
    Mike P. ~~

    Banks - The Boxer sleeps and waits for a championship...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    7,837
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom! View Post
    Man, I used to love Steve Sullivan.

    Also...I used to like Joe Murphy. Looking back, I think it was because I was young and liked the number 17, but still weird because it is Joe Murphy. Jeff Shantz and Bernie Nicholls as well.

    EDIT: One more "obscure" name that I loved...Michael Nylander. Watching that guy with the puck go around in circles was awesome.
    Yeah, I was a big Steve Smith fan as well. Probably because I went to a signing at a grand opening of a Target where he and Chelios were. I actually met Chelios' grandmother there. We were waiting in line to get their autographs forever and my dad said to go up front and at least get a look at the guys because we werent going to be able to meet them before they were scheduled to leave. So some old woman said something to my older brother and it turned out to be his grandmother and she took both of us up to the front of the line and we got their autographs. I guess she felt bad for us? Til this day, I remember Steve Smith standing up out of his chair and I couldnt believe how tall he was. He was a fricken giant to me.
    Last edited by cubsbears1225; 12-11-2012 at 01:58 PM.
    FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER ChiTownGuido23


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    13,204
    vCash
    1500
    On 12-12-12...who is your favorite Blackhawks player with the number 12? Let me know if I forgot anyone worthwhile. Peter Bondra, Brent Sutter, JP Dumont, or Rene Bourque.

    I'll go with JP Dumont for myself.

    EDIT: By the way, screw you lockout for it having to come to this.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    7,915
    vCash
    1500
    Slim pickins at #12. Nobody has really made that number their own yet. I'm gonna say my favorite was Tom Fitzgerald. lol

    1934 1938 1961 2010 2013

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,834
    vCash
    1500
    http://www.secondcityhockey.com/2012...ory-101-the-12

    The last sentence cracked me up, even though I'm a Beach fan.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    59,325
    vCash
    1700
    Tony Amonte
    Jeremy Roenick
    Chris Chelios
    Ed Belfour
    Jonathon Toews

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,066
    vCash
    1500
    Hull
    Savard
    Esposito
    Toews
    Seabrook

    I never watched Hull, Savard, Esposito live either. Just replays
    Last edited by Chi~TwnHawksFan; 12-25-2012 at 01:38 AM.
    The Quest For Lombardi
    Bringin' It Back Home


    Where It All Began

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •