Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Kyle Beach - Your Opinion

Well...this sucks. Nothing going on at all. Figured I would start a new thread where we can focus on some prospects. Give us your opinion of the prospect in this thread. Let us know what you think about their future and their chances of playing in the NHL, being a regular, etc. Let us know what you think the positives and negatives are when it comes to the prospect.

Let's start with Kyle Beach...

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/kyle_beach/ (hockeysfuture.com is a great place to go when you want a quick glimpse of a prospect - check out their rating system).

vCash
    My quick opinion of Beach is this...

I never see him cracking the lineup in a Blackhawks sweater.

He has screwed up too many times. Both on the ice and off the ice. Toss in the fact that he dramatically needs to improve on his foot speed...and I just don't see it happening.

He was given one hell of a chance and so far he has squandered it in a big way.

vCash
    I am going to defend Kyle Beach here a little bit. This is completely based on last season. He was out for the majority of the year with an injury (can't remember off the top of my head). Prior to that he had started off the season ver well but only played something like 8 games. He had 0 off ice issues during the time on the shelf that I am aware of and contributed to the team by doing a suprisingly nice job on color commentary. This might have been the organization attempting to keep him busy but it seems to have been a big success. When he did come back, he picked the game back up quickly and finished the season strong as well.

That being said, I don't see him making the roster without having an amazing start to this season. If that does happen, I wouldn't be suprised to see him called up but I won't hold my breath. That injury last season really was a massive setback to him career wise as it was starting to look like he was turning a corner.

Rockford, pit stop on the road to being champions.

vCash
    He needs to do well enough to be a part of a bigger trade. I don't see him making it up to Chicago.
    Mike P. ~~

Banks - The Boxer sleeps and waits for a championship...

vCash
    I could actually see him being a surprise factor this year. It wasn't that long ago hit lit up the WHL. Had a year to adjust in the A, and then looked good from what I understand in his first 8 last year before getting hurt. Hasn't had any issues since coming to the AHL that are that significant. I like his odds to throw himself back into the mix if he can keep his head on straight.

vCash
    I think Beach is done and if he has any trade value should be moved. It seems that Coach Q and Bowman are not fans either.

vCash
    The thing that probably gets me most about Kyle Beach...is that he is exactly what the Blackhawks need. If he reached his potential of course.

A big guy that has nice hands around the net (was the scouting report coming into the draft) and will stick up for any teammate.

I hope I am wrong on Beach...I really really do.

vCash
    Lost cause. I just don't see it happening. Can't be consistent, can't refrain from making stupid decisions on the ice. He's seemed to have lost favor with the front office, who weren't responsible for drafting him in the first place. I don't see him ever playing a game in the NHL as a Blackhawk, and perhaps not ever. His NHL career, if he has one, will be reminiscent of Ty Jones.

1934 • 1938 • 1961 • 2010 • 2013

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    Lost cause. I just don't see it happening. Can't be consistent, can't refrain from making stupid decisions on the ice. He's seemed to have lost favor with the front office, who weren't responsible for drafting him in the first place. I don't see him ever playing a game in the NHL as a Blackhawk, and perhaps not ever. His NHL career, if he has one, will be reminiscent of Ty Jones.
    Very good point and one that I have overlooked until now.

vCash
    People assume this, but a while back I read an article (I forget where, because it was a few months back) where our GM said he still was expecting big things from Beach. Yes, he makes stupid decisions sometimes, but he was starting to turn a corner before he got hurt. He sounds like he's pretty motivated to prove that he can still be an impact player.

http://thethirdmanin.com/2012/04/19/...th-kyle-beach/

Listen to the audio link. They discuss how he worked his butt off to get back before the end of the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubbieKid17 View Post
    People assume this, but a while back I read an article (I forget where, because it was a few months back) where our GM said he still was expecting big things from Beach. Yes, he makes stupid decisions sometimes, but he was starting to turn a corner before he got hurt. He sounds like he's pretty motivated to prove that he can still be an impact player.

Listen to the audio link. They discuss how he worked his butt off to get back before the end of the season.

I hear where you are coming from but it is really hard to trust anything a GM says. They better be inflating the tires of every prospect...whether it is to make the prospect feel good or to keep his trade value up. No point in putting down one of their own prospects.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom! View Post
    I hear where you are coming from but it is really hard to trust anything a GM says. They better be inflating the tires of every prospect...whether it is to make the prospect feel good or to keep his trade value up. No point in putting down one of their own prospects.
    I guess I'm in the minority here in thinking that he still can reach his potential. I think he's close to where he could play 4th line minutes in Chicago soon. I do think that he could develop into a very solid power forward type. I don't think a future 20-goal, 40-point season is out of the question at all, and I think the potential is there to put up an even better season.

I'll admit he's behind, but he seems to embrace that. He also was working on when to get in fights and just playing smarter. The biggest thing is that he's not down on himself. He believes he can be a big-time player and is determined to show the team that he can be that player that they thought he'd become when they (Tallon and co.) drafted him.

Also, I don't think that Bowman is just "inflating the tires" on Beach. I think he believes that Beach has a lot of talent and can still be a very productive player in the NHL someday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubbieKid17 View Post

This was tweeted tonight by Tim Sassone. Yea, I know, take it for what it's worth coming from him. But concerning Beach...

Fair enough. RT @KWMettler: @TimSassone thanks..... But the Bowman's they don't like Beach Is that a correct assumption??

1934 • 1938 • 1961 • 2010 • 2013

vCash
    This was tweeted tonight by Tim Sassone. Yea, I know, take it for what it's worth coming from him. But concerning Beach...
    I'm a little late on replying to this, but here's an article that should help what I was saying before. http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=638988

I don't know how to quote from articles so I'll just post the stuff that stood out to me in the article.

“Fortunately, I was able to make it back for the final 11 games last season,” said Beach. “It really allowed me to take hits and give me the feeling that it’s healed. I don’t have to worry about going into next season worrying about taking that first hit.”

Before his injury, Beach was starting to find his stride in the American Hockey League. His comfort level on and off the ice last season far exceeded that of his rookie year.

Through eight games, Beach had three goals and three assists to go along with 18 penalty minutes. His most effective game came on Oct. 9 in Peoria, where the winger drew a pair of penalties by getting under the skin of the Rivermen and then scored the game-winning goal with 8:32 left in regulation.

That combination of agitator and contributor is not easy to find in professional hockey, and it’s why Beach’s skill set is coveted by the Blackhawks organization. Heading into the new campaign, Bowman expects an even greater evolution to the winger’s game.

He did enjoy watching some of his close friends on the team, Andrew Shaw and Dylan Olsen, make their NHL debuts with Chicago and contribute to the big club last year. Seeing the success of his teammates, however, has made Beach hungrier to reach the top level.

“Working with [Blackhawks Strength and Conditioning Coach] Paul Goodman this summer has been great for me. We’ve been doing a lot of work to improve my game. The organization has addressed several things I need to do to get better—getting stronger, faster, skating. Even if I start in Rockford, I want to work and work and work to get to that level and prove to the Blackhawks that I deserve another contract.“

Instead of returning home to British Columbia this summer, Beach elected to stay in Chicago to train with Goodman and utilize the resources that the Blackhawks organization provides the players. The decision was made easier when IceHogs teammates and fellow Blackhawks prospects Joe Lavin and Ben Smith also decided to stay in the Windy City this summer. Smith, like Beach, is also coming off an injury, and the two have been able to push each other during workouts.

This is the type of dedication that Beach has shown throughout his young professional career.

“As guys mature, they start to realize that they need to do things differently than when they were a kid. He’s still a young guy, but he’s certainly grown up a little bit and I think that’s going to help him in the long run,” said Bowman.

During his recuperation from the shoulder injury, Beach’s short-term goal is to go into Blackhawks training camp in September in the best shape possible and vie for a spot on the team’s regular-season roster.

“It’s a process. It’s hard to short-circuit anything. I think it might be a blessing in disguise for him to have missed all that time, because he has developed some patience, he understands where he’s at, and he has a good grasp on his career path.”

Some good stuff there. I think it shows that the Bowmans haven't given up on Beach. It also shows that he's got a great work ethic and is working hard to be the kind of player that people expected him to be when we drafted him. He's far from a sure thing, but it makes me feel a lot better about him knowing that he's got a great work ethic and wanted to come into training camp in the best shape possible.

vCash
    ^^^ All good stuff and I'm glad to hear it. Could be that it just took him longer to become a pro and understand the ways of a pro. Good to hear that he stayed in Chicago, shows some dedication. If he can improve on his skating, and not take dumb penalties, he would be exactly what the Blackhawks are looking for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast