Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

New Hitting Coach please?

I'm not sure why this has never been brought up, maybe it has. Why does Brook Jacoby still have a job with the Reds? Our approach at the plate as a team (other than Votto and Hanigan) is horrible. We strike out way too much, 6th most in the NL. OBP is just as bad at .315 (21st in the majors) 21st in runs in the majors as well...Those are 3 very important stats that we rank below average on and no one is calling for Jacoby's head, why? This lineup has PLENTY of potential, also I don't see any changes ever being made. Perfect example: Drew Stubbs. Has his bunting gotten better? no. Approach to the plate better? No, and we all know about the strikeouts. What kills me is that he still has the same approach and stance and everything! A good hitting coach could tinker with some things and at least make him a .250 hitter! The playoffs should have taught us that contact hitters is what its all about. A team that strikes out a lot is doomed in the playoffs when going up against nothing but other teams aces. I don't know any good candidates out there to take the job but we need something new, our offense will kill us every October with the approach we have.

GODS OF JUICE

vCash
    Totallaly agree....... Add one more stat, Hitting with runners in scoring position.

vCash
    Theres only so much a hitting coach can do. I blame the players more than the hitting coach. Stubbs is just a moron and is never going to get it if he hasn't by now.

props to Bee for the sig!!

vCash
    I couldn't agree more, we need someone qualified to coach these young hitters on the right approach to hitting. Most of our young players are all or nothing, they need to change their approach and focus on making contact rather than going for the fences in all situations. Especially with runners in scoring position, we need to focus on improving that statistic more than anything next year.

vCash
    I agree we need a new hitting coach but I'll also say that Pete Rose couldn't even help Stubbs.

vCash
    Players have to want help before a pitching coach can do anything. When all is said and done the Reds had the 2nd best record in baseball last year. That is primarily due to good pitching, but that also tends to motivate opposing pitchers to perform at a higher level. I believe you can blame some of the Reds hitting deficiencies on their good pitching (as odd as that sounds). That is why I would never trade a player like Bailey for a leadoff hitter. Good pitching wins most games, not good hitting.

That said, Stubbs' number one problem isn't bunting, its his inability to make adjustments at the plate (he is easy to pitch to). Votto is a master of making adjustments, not only between plate appearances, but between pitches.

vCash
    correct about Votto! thats the main reason he's so successful.

Stubbs is very easy to pitch to. just throw 3 straight pitches in the dirt and he'll swing at all 3 of them.