Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topdog View Post
    That first statement is debatable. He's been limited to essentially the same 20 minutes in the 3 years he's played because of a logjam at PF/C, yet he's improved his stats and PER each year. He's not so much a role player as a player forced into a role.

There are too many ifs and buts associated with Bynum and Favors in-so-far as who knows if that trade even goes down with Favors in Philly?

For all we know, the 76ers could quite easily have ended up looking like:

Favors
    Young
    Iggy
    Mayo (sign summer 2012)
    Holiday
    Getting rid of Iggy was the best thing to happen to the Sixers. ET is already outplaying him this year while the Sixers are having more success than the Nuggets. You would think that the All Star/Olympian would be light years ahead of a kid who is getting significant playing time for the first time in his career, but it's the opposite. Iggy took the ball out of Jrue and Evan's hands and now that he's gone, we're reaping the benefits of his absence. Clearly our defense hasn't suffered much in Iggy's absence either, as we're allowing the fewest points in the NBA.

Evan Turner is just starting to scratch the surface.

Philadelphia 76ers

"All the time us."

Thanks to JDink24 on the sig

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by j-bay View Post
    I've seen a lot of people already call Bradley Beal a bust. I remeber people saying the same thing about turner his rookie year. Do you think all he needs is time? I mean the guy is only 19.
    Wouldn't be a bad thing if he was. Turner's finally starting to break out this year with Iggy out of the picture. Definitely need to wait until Wall comes back before we can start calling him a bust. He's been picking it up as of late, scored in double digits 7 out of the last 10 games. I think it's more of the rookie jitters than him not being able to progress to the NBA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pd7631 View Post
    Getting rid of Iggy was the best thing to happen to the Sixers. ET is already outplaying him this year while the Sixers are having more success than the Nuggets. You would think that the All Star/Olympian would be light years ahead of a kid who is getting significant playing time for the first time in his career, but it's the opposite. Iggy took the ball out of Jrue and Evan's hands and now that he's gone, we're reaping the benefits of his absence. Clearly our defense hasn't suffered much in Iggy's absence either, as we're allowing the fewest points in the NBA.

Evan Turner is just starting to scratch the surface.
    Iguodala is not having a great year, nor is Denver. Turner is outplaying AI so far. Fair points, but far from the entire picture. Turner is settling into a larger role on his same team while AI is developing a new role on a new team. I definitely understand if Philly didn't want to pay Iguodala what he was making, but that still doesn't change my opinion of Favors being a better choice.

As for the defense, Philly is no longer giving up the fewest points but rather is tied for 7th fewest with a negative 1.7 point differential. More importantly, the team's defensive rating is 12th when accounting for pace of play. Conversely, last year's Philly team was 3rd in both points per game given up and defensive rating and had a positive point differential of 4.2

vCash
    Iguodala is not having a great year, nor is Denver. Turner is outplaying AI so far. Fair points, but far from the entire picture. Turner is settling into a larger role on his same team while AI is developing a new role on a new team. I definitely understand if Philly didn't want to pay Iguodala what he was making, but that still doesn't change my opinion of Favors being a better choice.

As for the defense, Philly is no longer giving up the fewest points but rather is tied for 7th fewest with a negative 1.7 point differential. More importantly, the team's defensive rating is 12th when accounting for pace of play. Conversely, last year's Philly team was 3rd in both points per game given up and defensive rating and had a positive point differential of 4.2
    First, the Sixers have just 5 players on the team this year that were here last year. Evan Turner has had to make a huge adjustment as well. His role has changed, almost all of his teammates have changed, and he hasn't been in the league nearly as long as Iggy. I'm not giving that excuse to Iggy.....ET has replaced his production and then some.

Secondly, yeah you're right, I didn't go all that in depth with checking the numbers. But I can assure you that the slip in defense has FAR more to do with the loss of Elton Brand than with Andre Iguodala. Our bigs don't have a clue how to play help defense, and nobody has the ability to alter shots at the rim.

I've gotten away from PSD for quite awhile(purposely), so I have an insane amount of thoughts on this subject/the Sixers in general, and it's probably better for me to just get out now before I get too worked up lol. I've enjoyed watching the Sixers/basketball much more now that I don't worry(usually) about what the general public thinks.

All I want to say is...

-Evan Turner is becoming the player I knew he would be, and I couldn't be happier to have him on my team. I never gave up on him, I never will. My expectations for him are the same as the day we drafted him. He has an "it" factor that I haven't seen on the Sixers for quite awhile.

-At the same time, Andre Iguodala getting shipped out has made me just as happy as the play of Evan Turner. There have been numerous times that Sixers beat writers have said that Iguodala's personality was bringing the team down as much as anything else was. A clear example of "addition by subtraction". Even if Bynum never plays a minute for the Sixers, the trade was good.

Philadelphia 76ers

"All the time us."

vCash
    One last thing...

to any Sixer fans viewing this thread, I miss talking about the team with you guys, but until at least one person is banned or otherwise not posting anymore, I can't bring myself to go back to the forum. I honestly don't know how some of you put up with it anymore. Anyone want to just annex the Hawks forum or some other team that has no fans on here as our own and discuss the Sixers there?

Philadelphia 76ers

"All the time us."

vCash
    beal is 19, give him some time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pd7631 View Post
    One last thing...

to any Sixer fans viewing this thread, I miss talking about the team with you guys, but until at least one person is banned or otherwise not posting anymore, I can't bring myself to go back to the forum. I honestly don't know how some of you put up with it anymore. Anyone want to just annex the Hawks forum or some other team that has no fans on here as our own and discuss the Sixers there?
    ahaahha it keeps gettin worse with him man.

Your 2014 OPSL Champs!

vCash

Have you seen our bigs this season by any chance?
    Frist you make a point that Turners rebounding is helped by us being a poor rebounding team then u fail to realise we got smaller in the same breath.
    Thad Young and Lavoy Allen will never be the defender brand was last year.
    Turner However very well may be the Defender Iggy was last year sometime later in his carrer.

2012 allstar

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thevcballer View Post
    Have you seen our bigs this season by any chance?
    Frist you make a point that Turners rebounding is helped by us being a poor rebounding team then u fail to realise we got smaller in the same breath.
    Thad Young and Lavoy Allen will never be the defender brand was last year.
    Turner However very well may be the Defender Iggy was last year sometime later in his carrer.
    Two different conversations imo. I'm simply responding to statements not making an overall assessment of the team. Obviously, the changes made to this team were made with the assumption that Bynum would be manning the middle.

The whole discussion of ET's rebounding came out of an argument that Beal has more potential because he has a supposed "elite skill" coming out of college versus Turner who didn't.

As for defense, I'm not trying to say it was all Iguodala. I'm just pointing out that it is not the same as last year and that there is an argument to be made that Favors and Iggy could lead this team to a superior defensive rating.

P.S. I absolutely hated that trade for Hawes when it went down.

vCash
    Honestly it's so hard for me to tell what Williams will be once he finally moves on. His size its going to always present a certain sort of difficulty and he'll have to learn to make match-ups favorable to himself by developing his perimeter and driving skills to a much higher level.

As for the 2010 draft, I guess I just saw it from a different perspective. To me, it was:

1. Brand can't keep up with the offense and its athletic wings.
    2. Lou can play the 2 or the Sixers find someone who will fit tempo (Turner slows them imo)

3. Turner was the concensus 2 and the Wolves supposedly wanted him badly. New Jersey was not particularly attached to their pick so maybe something could have happened there
    4. Favors was raw but seemed to have a great attitude and measurements similar to Dwight Howard as a rookie. He was more-or-less the concensus 3rd pick so it's not as big of a risk as other drafts.
    Its easy to say things like that from the outside looking in.

1. While brand may have been slow he was also hard to move and you cant really justify not starting a guy making max money.
    Brand was also Great on the Defensive end.
    I did like the prospect of Favors at the time but in the end im happy we have Turner as soon as we got Turner it was a sigh of relief for sixers fans as it meant Iggy would be gone soon. It meant change and i just don't see how anyone can look bad and think it was a poor choice. If i feel poorly about any draft choice it was this year Harkless (traded) and Moultie over PJ3..
    how do you miss a guy like Perry Jones twice that late in a draft??!

2. Lou is undersized at the 2 spot and he cant even defend players at his own size all too well

2012 allstar

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thevcballer View Post
    Its easy to say things like that from the outside looking in.

1. While brand may have been slow he was also hard to move and you cant really justify not starting a guy making max money.
    Brand was also Great on the Defensive end.
    I did like the prospect of Favors at the time but in the end im happy we have Turner as soon as we got Turner it was a sigh of relief for sixers fans as it meant Iggy would be gone soon. It meant change and i just don't see how anyone can look bad and think it was a poor choice. If i feel poorly about any draft choice it was this year Harkless (traded) and Moultie over PJ3..
    how do you miss a guy like Perry Jones twice that late in a draft??!

2. Lou is undersized at the 2 spot and he cant even defend players at his own size all too well
    There was talk of trading Brand at the time though. Not to mention the games when he'd stay on the bench at the end of games. Drafting Favors wouldn't have to affect how much Brand played.

I'm glad Philly fans are happy with Turner and there is nothing to say that he won't continue to get better. Personally, I liked Favors more and thought he'd fit well.

The Harkless pick wasn't great in my eyes, except that it helped net Bynum. Moutrie has some good potential though. Perry Jones might just be the next Anthony Randolph - hard to say, but also hard to pass up at that point.

vCash
    Wiz are just down right terrible...

Could have a nice backcourt foundation with Wall and Beal, but until they get the right coach to steer that ship they'll just keep getting top draft picks who wind up playing in horrible systems...

As for Beal being like Evan Turner, alot of Turners continued progression and growth has to do with Doug Collins... The guy does a great job with young talent... If Washington ever finds the right coach for a young team Beal could be like Turner... Nothing special, but a solid player... Beal has the shooting ability to be a bit better offensively...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

vCash
    There was talk of trading Brand at the time though. Not to mention the games when he'd stay on the bench at the end of games. Drafting Favors wouldn't have to affect how much Brand played.

I'm glad Philly fans are happy with Turner and there is nothing to say that he won't continue to get better. Personally, I liked Favors more and thought he'd fit well.

The Harkless pick wasn't great in my eyes, except that it helped net Bynum. Moutrie has some good potential though. Perry Jones might just be the next Anthony Randolph - hard to say, but also hard to pass up at that point.
    Who is better than any of our bigs outside of bynum and mabye thad
    if thats a wrost case where do i sign?

2012 allstar

vCash
    Two different conversations imo. I'm simply responding to statements not making an overall assessment of the team. Obviously, the changes made to this team were made with the assumption that Bynum would be manning the middle.

The whole discussion of ET's rebounding came out of an argument that Beal has more potential because he has a supposed "elite skill" coming out of college versus Turner who didn't.

As for defense, I'm not trying to say it was all Iguodala. I'm just pointing out that it is not the same as last year and that there is an argument to be made that Favors and Iggy could lead this team to a superior defensive rating.

P.S. I absolutely hated that trade for Hawes when it went down.
    Thats short term thinking this team wasn't going anywhere with Iggy as a best player and Iggy being here would have prevented Jrue holiday from having the breakout season he is having as well. i see your point but a Jrue Turner Thad Bynum core> (a much more limited Jrue) Iggy Favors core..

2012 allstar

vCash
    Oh and for the record i might be the only person in the world who is happy the sixers have hawes.. mainly because he is a 7 foot tall best of a bad situation and when Bynum comes back will be a nice backup because his game is so drastically different from bynum or he can start the 4 next to bynum and force some action away from the basket as a stretch 4

2012 allstar

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast