Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topdog View Post
    I don't get all the negativity around Beal. He's only about 1 FGM and 0.2 3PTFGM a game away from having the same sort of numbers as the players he was most compared to in Ray Allen and Eric Gordon:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...albr01&y3=2013
    Here you go.

Code:
    Rk         Player From   To  G   MP  PER  TS% eFG% ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG% ORtg DRtg OWS DWS  WS WS/48
    1       Ray Allen 1997 1997 82 2532 14.6 .541 .494  4.7 11.0  7.9 13.9  1.6  0.3 12.8 21.4  109  110 3.3 1.5 4.9  .092
    2    Bradley Beal 2013 2013 16  433 11.9 .479 .414  2.6 11.2  6.7 12.4  1.6  1.7 12.0 22.7   96  107 0.0 0.3 0.3  .032
    3     Eric Gordon 2009 2009 78 2677 14.9 .593 .529  1.9  6.9  4.3 13.6  1.5  1.0 13.5 20.7  112  115 3.9 0.7 4.6  .082

Quote Originally Posted by rhymeratic View Post
    Shoot I'd even put up Glen Rice and Mitch Richmond in their prime at or slightly better than James. Even Glenn Robinson who is a forgotten beast.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMeOrHateMe View Post
    Kobe GOAT LOL
    ^Finally got one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Stanton:24645856
    Quote Originally Posted by Knowledge View Post
    Turner was a 3 year player coming out that was thought to be more NBA ready.

Beal is 19 and showed some production toward the end of his college career (can you have a career after 1 year?) that gave teams hope. Most time when you draft a teenager, you are projecting and drafting for upside.

Risk/Reward type pick that I can't blame them for. Though Drummond, outside of Davis, would have been the guy for me. I just believe in taking chances on big men (unless they are total stiffs) and seeing if they can develop.
    I'll give you youth and scenario. It's not fair to judge a 19 yr old after 20 games. And let's see how he plays next to Wall. But has Beal shown any flashes of greatness or anything that would suggest he's worthy of that 3rd pick?
    No, he looks overwhelmed, but as you said, judging a 19 yr old so early is harsh. I would give him a off season too just to be cautious. Same with Rivers (who has been the definition of horrendous).

If there is no sign of improvement throughout the season, I would be worried. If there are none by the second year, I would be really disturbed and any criticism is fair game (if I was the gm, a fan, or related to either franchise in any way).
    Last edited by Knowledge; 12-09-2012 at 03:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Hinkie
    "I'm probably pretty boring to watch a game with because I''m all about expected values. I don''t even care if it goes in or not, I'm all about, '‘Should it go in?'' I can live with randomness. I mean, if it''s a close game in the end, yeah, I''m just like anyone else. But I just want us to play the odds all the time."
    TerminH1NK13

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topdog View Post
    Still, the scouting reports essentially called him a "jack of all trades" - good at everything but great at nothing. Average athleticism, shooting, ect. I do understand that it was the "safe" pick (just like Wes Johnson was "safe" for the Wolves), but I thought it was very redundant with all the wings Philly had.
    what wings?
    There was iggy.. thats about it.

2012 allstar

vCash
    No he has way more upside then Evan.

vCash
    give beal at least 3 full seasons before you call him a bust lets see if he improves year to year but if you guys dont want him the lakers would sure take him from you guys and mold him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Heediot View Post
    No he has way more upside then Evan.
    Don't see it. Coming into the league Turner was seen as having franchise player type upside. There was no such claim for Beal.

I don't get the comparison for the mere fact that Beal has been given the opportunity to be a starter from day 1 Turner has been in and out of the rotation and only this season has seen consistent starter minutes and will continue to see them as well.

As for Turner as a player he is indeed above average and he's growing with every game, as is evident in his outside shooting and free throw shooting. He's still learning the game at an NBA level in the role in which he plays. He needs to take more advantage of his size and ball handling ability and attempt to get to the line at a higher clip (given that he's improved as a FT shooter) and most importantly be smarter about his shot selection.

vCash
    not sure of Beals situation but I dont think he is in a similar one to ET. ET was stuck behind Williams and Iggy for 2 years who dominated the ball. With them gone ET has flourished. Doesnt seem like Beal is stuck behind anyone and he certainly doesnt have the skill set ET has either. Regardless no player is a buss 20 games into their career and while playing without his Pg

RETURN OF THE MAC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swashcuff View Post
    Don't see it. Coming into the league Turner was seen as having franchise player type upside. There was no such claim for Beal.

I don't get the comparison for the mere fact that Beal has been given the opportunity to be a starter from day 1 Turner has been in and out of the rotation and only this season has seen consistent starter minutes and will continue to see them as well.

As for Turner as a player he is indeed above average and he's growing with every game, as is evident in his outside shooting and free throw shooting. He's still learning the game at an NBA level in the role in which he plays. He needs to take more advantage of his size and ball handling ability and attempt to get to the line at a higher clip (given that he's improved as a FT shooter) and most importantly be smarter about his shot selection.
    Beal at 19 versus Turner at 21. If Turner at 21 was in last year's draft, do you think he'd be drafted higher then Beal? It's questionable and debatable. There was a handful of candidates for the number 2 pick and Evan would of probably be thrown in there. Beal at 21 and Evan at 21, who would get drafted higher?

I'm not claiming that Beal will turn out to be the better player, but his ceiling was higher during the drafting stage. However, Turner's floor was considered higher at this stage.

I think it's too early to tell because of sample size, but even for a guy who was considered a safe pick with a high floor Turner struggled in his first season as well.

I guess when I said Beal had way more upside, it was an over-statement.
    Last edited by Heediot; 12-09-2012 at 08:12 AM.

vCash
    Absolutely, you can tell by his play at Florida that he was going to be a big time work in progress but eventually he would have superstar ability. He's very raw, I said when he declared for the draft that could be the biggest mistake of his career cus two more years in college under Billy Donovan he woulda won possibly a pair of national championships, polished his game, prolly win the best player in the nation award, been the number one overall pick and would not look as lost as he does at times. But yes I have no doubt in my mind this kid will be a star down the road

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by j-bay View Post
    I've seen a lot of people already call Bradley Beal a bust. I remeber people saying the same thing about turner his rookie year. Do you think all he needs is time? I mean the guy is only 19.
    I totally agree. He's also a more undersized two guard. It's not impossible for him to find his rythm and excel. I hope so having drafted him in my dynasty keeper. Also his team isn't at it's full strength with lingering injuries to Nene and Wall. When Wall returns that could ease the pressure off of Beal to make shots and let him sync into the system more. Evan Turner is finding his game in year 3. So nothing is impossible. Mayo is 25 and finally looks like an allstar player.

Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

vCash
    Anyone that calls anyone a bust after 5-6 weeks of basketball is jumping the gun.

Period.

Beal's biggest strength coming out of HS was his shot. However, at Florida, his biggest weakness was his shot. So far, his shooting has been atrocious. It will come, as will the rest of his game (plus rebounder, slasher and defender at his position).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by b@llhog24 View Post
    Here you go.

Code:
    Rk         Player From   To  G   MP  PER  TS% eFG% ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG% ORtg DRtg OWS DWS  WS WS/48
    1       Ray Allen 1997 1997 82 2532 14.6 .541 .494  4.7 11.0  7.9 13.9  1.6  0.3 12.8 21.4  109  110 3.3 1.5 4.9  .092
    2    Bradley Beal 2013 2013 16  433 11.9 .479 .414  2.6 11.2  6.7 12.4  1.6  1.7 12.0 22.7   96  107 0.0 0.3 0.3  .032
    3     Eric Gordon 2009 2009 78 2677 14.9 .593 .529  1.9  6.9  4.3 13.6  1.5  1.0 13.5 20.7  112  115 3.9 0.7 4.6  .082
    I get that his shooting percentages are bad; but, as I pointed out, he only needs to make one more shot per game and one more 3 pointer out of every five to get his basic percentages on par and that will raise the advanced stats as well.
    Last edited by topdog; 12-09-2012 at 04:49 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SeoulBeatz View Post
    It was the easy pick to make IMO. We didn't have a SG. Our starting 2 guard was Willie Green, backed up by Rodney Carney (lol).

It was the clear pick to make especially after just drafting the PG for future Jrue and Iggy was coming into his own at SF. We had Brand, Dalembert, Speights, Thad Young, and Jason Smith in the frontcourt. SG was a much bigger need than PF, and Turner was the consensus college player of the year. It was a no-brainer.
    Hadn't Dalembert been traded at that point for Hawes and Nocioni? Anyway, from an outside perspective, I saw Thad young who had started his career at the 3, Iggy who could shift between the 2 and 3 and Lou Williams who may be listed as a PG but acts like and has size enough for the 2 spot.

The wings seemed fairly interchangeable in Philly's system i.e. a 3 can be a 2 and a 2 can be a 3. Brand definitely hadn't been working at that point (before Colllins and now he's amnestied), Smith was a backup at best, Dalembert either was already gone or at the very least not going to be re-signed. Favors was an athlete who looked like he could be either a 4 or a 5 especially on a team that is willing to put out small lineups and run.

Turner didn't seem to fit in as a non-athlete and as a guy who did not project to improve Philly's outside/mid-range shooting.

vCash
    Less than 20 games into the season and there's bust talk for a 19 year-old already?

Beal turned 19 on the day he was drafted. Turner played his first game at age 22. So while the possibility of not panning out is always there, Beal has far more upside than Turner ever had.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish1314 View Post
    Less than 20 games into the season and there's bust talk for a 19 year-old already?

Beal turned 19 on the day he was drafted. Turner played his first game at age 22. So while the possibility of not panning out is always there, Beal has far more upside than Turner ever had.
    why bcuz hes younger? it doesnt work that way.

RETURN OF THE MAC

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast