We all die anyway.
    Says who?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BayArea91 View Post
    Says who?
    Good point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Norwegian View Post
    I mean Den's just appealing to analytic philosophy that has been stepping around huge existential issues for centuries.
    I have no idea what you mean by this. Care to spell it out a bit more clearly? I thouht my last post was pretty clear, and not "stepping around" anything.
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    "The meaning of life is to give your life meaning." - Words of a wise 8th grade science teacher
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewredskin3 View Post
    At this point, Cousins gives us the best opportunity to win.
    30 minutes before RG3 goes down

Quote Originally Posted by matthewredskin3 View Post
    Let's just keep RG3 in the game. Can't move and risking furthur injury. Great call.
    One play before RG3 goes down

vCash
    The idea of being safe at night. How mighty to put food on the table for everyone! The moral man is king.
    But whats moral? Who is anyone to decide what is and isntt moral to everyone else? Your not born with morals. You gain your morals through experiences, the people around you and to an extent the goverment. What some cultures/countries find immoral other may not. For example, look at the age of concent laws around the world. If I as a 26 year old slept with a 16 year old here in america, id be labled a pervert, criminal and sick. Yet fly across to some european(maybe even most) countries and it wouldnt be a problem. Same with drinking ages. Im assuming your from america(didnt look), but if you are and say you were raised in even canada, your views on some things may be totally different.

And how are nihilist sadistic? Maybe you dont know the meaning of the word sadistic. Ted Bundy is someone I would label as sadistic. Im surely not out to hurt anyone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bosox3431 View Post
    But whats moral?
    My hands, my smile. Food, and shelter for all. Morality was all I thought of as a child. The act of writing morality, is a moral act. To sit there and wine, and bother is immoral.

Your not born with morals.
    Morals are natural law, bro.

What some cultures/countries find immoral other may not.
    Not for them to decide. Rape can not possibly be moral.

vCash
    My hands, my smile. Food, and shelter for all. Morality was all I thought of as a child. The act of writing morality, is a moral act. To sit there and wine, and bother is immoral.

Huge disagreement here between you and the opposing view (almost half of philosophy).

vCash

Who says theyre natural law?

I meant to put this in my post, but obviously anything causing harm to others should be considered immoral.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post
    The Big Lebowski

****ing nihilists.

Are these the nazi's Walter?

No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of.

vCash
    So has this thread turned into a debate on moral relativism yet? Seems like every philosophical discussion eventually ends up there.

I think Nihilism is basically just pessimistic existentialism. Whoever came up with the concept deserves the same sort of praise as the guy who came up with the "pet rock" toys.

vCash
    I think the conclusion nihilists draw are just absolutely nuts, but the premises are decent an i subscribe at least partly to them.

Meaning and purpose of life, The only objective purpose is to reproduce to keep live going. Everything else is meaning we try to attribute to life, either through religion or philosophy, therefor there is no real objective purpose or meaning of live.

Morals exist but they are no natural laws, they emerged out of necessity, social creatures need something that governs social interaction and societies need a moral base to stand upon (agreeable behavior of individuals in a group context). But Morals change depending on the times and societies. It's also a learned trait no one is born with morals.

Reality doesn't exist. Our perception distorts "reality", but since we have only our perception we have to assume that this is reality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patman View Post
    I think the conclusion nihilists draw are just absolutely nuts, but the premises are decent an i subscribe at least partly to them.

Meaning and purpose of life, The only objective purpose is to reproduce to keep live going. Everything else is meaning we try to attribute to life, either through religion or philosophy, therefor there is no real objective purpose or meaning of live.

Morals exist but they are no natural laws, they emerged out of necessity, social creatures need something that governs social interaction and societies need a moral base to stand upon (agreeable behavior of individuals in a group context). But Morals change depending on the times and societies. It's also a learned trait no one is born with morals.

Reality doesn't exist. Our perception distorts "reality", but since we have only our perception we have to assume that this is reality.
    Really agree with this post, especially the bolded.

Imagine if we only could perceive things in a 2-dimensional way, or maybe even a 4-dimensional way, would completely change reality itself.

It's possible other beings could see things this way so their reality is one entirely different from ours. Their brains could process information in a completely different way, leading to a difference in perception and therefore reality.

Just fun to think about

vCash
    ^kind of like how colors are perceived by the brain. What if my green isn't your green?

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    Nihilism? There's nothing to it.
    “A riot,” said Martin Luther King, “is the language of the unheard.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL#22 View Post
    ^kind of like how colors are perceived by the brain. What if my green isn't your green?
    Yep. My job involves working with colored pigments. Its amazing how different people see colors differently feom others

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast