Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Alfonso Soriano: Worth a Shot?

Texas just sent Michael Young and $10m of his $16m to the Phillies for two middling pitching prospects. Would Soriano come as cheaply from the Cubs? He cannot be any worse defensively than Duda. If Chicago heavily subsidizes the deal isnt it better than signing a free agent for much more than he's worth? BTW Ludwick reportedly resigned with CIN...and these days guys like Pagan get $10m and Victorino gets $23m...wonder what Ludwick got? $10m? Still like Swisher but his price tag keeps going up.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    I don't know anything about his contract or what numbers he has put up over the past few years and I will stay say no.

vCash
    A year ago you could have gotten Soriano for almost nothiing, with the Cubbies willing to pay almost all of the $54 million that was left on his contract. Given the year he had in 2012, the Cubs will not be quite so generous in any trade this year. He's not worth anywhere near the $18 million a year he is due for 2013 and 2014. But unless we could get the Cubs to pick up more than 2/3 of his salary, I wouldn't consider a deal.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    I would look into it if the Cubs eat some money. We need ****ing outfielders and we have money to spend.

vCash
    Soriano posted a 4.0 WAR last year and is owed 36 million over the last 2 years. Crazy thing is he has become a pretty good defensive outfielder as well. .350 wOBA as well, but the Mets will not take on that salary and I doubt the Cubs would eat much of it.

vCash
    We would get him and then he would fall apart. They just let go of Jason Bay. I don't think they take a chance on him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Soriano posted a 4.0 WAR last year and is owed 36 million over the last 2 years. Crazy thing is he has become a pretty good defensive outfielder as well. .350 wOBA as well, but the Mets will not take on that salary and I doubt the Cubs would eat much of it.
    Trusting Soriano to repeat last year's performance after the previous how many, 3? is a sucker's bet.

I wouldn't touch him with a 10-foot pole, as it were.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Trusting Soriano to repeat last year's performance after the previous how many, 3? is a sucker's bet.

I wouldn't touch him with a 10-foot pole, as it were.
    The year before that his WAR was only 1.4, but he did still hit 26 homers, the year before that his WAR was 3.2.

vCash
    Hasn't he been on the top of the Outfield Assists board because everybody runs on him, thinking he has no arm?

I'd rather stay away, anyway. Either we take a lot of his salary or give up something with value, and I'd rather do neither for a guy like Soriano.

vCash
    The year before that his WAR was only 1.4, but he did still hit 26 homers, the year before that his WAR was 3.2.
    And he'll be 37.

Not with a 10-foot pole.

The only way i would have taken Soriano would be in a swap of bad contracts i.e Jason Bay.

But to spend all that money on his salary now is beyond ludicrous. Hardly a good investment.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    I don't even think he'd be a guy who would "boost attendane." If we were talking about an extremely popular player who is a great fan favorite, then things could be different, but most likely not.

In the end, the last thing the Mets need to do is pay Alfonso Soriano millions of dollars to do something a younger, more promising player could do for us.

vCash
    Soriano would be more fit for a team thats competing or close to competing for a WS. We are not, so no.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    And he'll be 37.

Not with a 10-foot pole.

The only way i would have taken Soriano would be in a swap of bad contracts i.e Jason Bay.

But to spend all that money on his salary now is beyond ludicrous. Hardly a good investment.
    If the Cubs would put up 20-26 million of that 36 I would do it, but doubt that will happen.

vCash
    If the Cubs would put up 20-26 million of that 36 I would do it, but doubt that will happen.
    Agreed. That's what it would have to take.

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    Soriano would be more fit for a team thats competing or close to competing for a WS. We are not, so no.
    Yes, we don't need a guy whose skills may start deteriorating in the very near future.

Not a good fit here.

PASS!

Shea Stadium Scoreboard May 31, 1964

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast