Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bergen County by way of Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,236
    vCash
    1500

    22 HR 109 RBI .212 BA and a 5-15 6.35 ERA

    The hitting stat doesn't sound too awful except this achievement was accomplished in 1027 ABs by the intrepid octect of Bay, Cedeno, Torres, Nickeas, Shoppach, and spare parts Lewis, Rottino and RJohnson. That cost us $21M in salaries. They wil not be missed. One point is that the bench, outside of some pop from Nieuwenhuis and Valdespin, stunk out loud. It's usually the least cost line item but makes a big difference late in games.

    Another sore point was who filled in in the second half after Santana and Gee went down at the ASB. While Harvey did well and CYoung did very well after Pelfrey was hurt in April losing that third starter just killed the team. Hefner, Batista, McHugh and Schwinden combined for a 5-15 record with an ERA of over 6.00 (nobody had an ERA under 4.85) in 24 starts....awful. If Dickey is traded we need to re-sign CY and maybe another decent #5 candidate if Mejia and Familia aren't ready or there is an injury. Let's hope SA pays attention to the end of the pen and the bench this year.
    Last edited by rdg515; 12-15-2012 at 06:22 PM.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Moon
    Posts
    6,924
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rdg515 View Post
    The hitting stat doesn't sound too awful except this achievement was accomplished in 1027 ABs by the intrepid octect of Bay, Cedeno, Torres, Nickeas, Shoppach, and spare parts Lewis, Rottino and RJohnson. That cost us $21M in salaries. They wil not be missed. One point is that the bench, outside of some pop from Nieuwenhuis and Valdespin, stunk out loud. It's usually the least cost line item but makes a big difference late in games.

    Another sore point was who filled in in the second half after Santana and Gee went down at the ASB. While Harvey did well and CYoung did very well after Pelfrey was hurt in April losing that third starter just killed the team. Hefner, Batista, McHugh and Schwinden combined for a 5-15 record with an ERA of over 6.00 (nobody had an ERA) in 24 starts....awful. If Dickey is traded we need to re-sign CY and maybe another decent #5 candidate if Mejia and Familia aren't ready or there is an injury. Let's hope SA pays attention to the end of the pen and the bench this year.
    Congratulations you did some math, but why couldn't this go in an already existing thread? It's not like people haven't told you about it at least 500000000 times...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    55,374
    vCash
    1500
    He just wants attention. Ignore it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bergen County by way of Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,236
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry777 View Post
    Congratulations you did some math, but why couldn't this go in an already existing thread? It's not like people haven't told you about it at least 500000000 times...
    It took an hour to compile the data so thanks. There may be other references to the bench or the pen but nothing recent. This oversight is one of my pet peeves and obviously not being noticed so I wrote this to inform and raise an outcry...perhaps SA might see it. As for stuna's comment if I said this sky is blue he would say it's green with pink polka dots...little minds. As a magazine publisher and editorial director my 50,000 monthly readers welcome a well thought out article or blog...I guess stuna, from his professional perch, is well qualified to speak his mind....just ignore him.
    Last edited by rdg515; 12-15-2012 at 06:46 PM.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    31,041
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rdg515 View Post
    It took an hour to compile the data so thanks. There may be other references to the bench or the pen but nothing recent. This oversight is one of my pet peeves and obviously not being noticed so I wrote this to inform and raise an outcry...perhaps SA might see it. As for stuna's comment if I said this sky is blue he would say it's green with pink polka dots...little minds. As a magazine publisher and editorial director my 50,000 monthly readers welcome a well thought out article or blog...I guess stuna, from his professional perch, is well qualified to speak his mind....just ignore him.
    I guess the trick is to tell us something we don't already know, especially if you're gonna spend an hour crunching numbers. Otherwise all you're doing is giving us content without context.

    I'm sure no one here -- you included -- had to spend an hour to figure out that Bay,Cedeno, Torres, Nickeas, Shoppach, Lewis, Rottino and RJohnson, etc stunk up the joint while the starting pitching failed to replace Santana and Gee adequately.

    With all that in our back pockets, what difference do the compiled numbers make?
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bergen County by way of Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,236
    vCash
    1500
    The point is to point out we need to spend money on guys like Wigginton, Hinske, AJones, Pierre etc like our competitors seem to do. Hairston was a good sign. Save three million from the bench and suffer later. Get junk from the scrap heap for the pen and lose games in the 7th inning and many extra inning games. SA needs to do better this year on this area.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Queens New York
    Posts
    659
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rdg515 View Post
    The point is to point out we need to spend money on guys like Wigginton, Hinske, AJones, Pierre etc like our competitors seem to do. Hairston was a good sign. Save three million from the bench and suffer later. Get junk from the scrap heap for the pen and lose games in the 7th inning and many extra inning games. SA needs to do better this year on this area.
    Yup. You're absolutely right. The bench and bullpen matter just as much as the lineup. If we keep signing scrap heap players, we'll continue to get scrap heap results in the 7th 8th and 9th innings

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    31,041
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rdg515 View Post
    The point is to point out we need to spend money on guys like Wigginton, Hinske, AJones, Pierre etc like our competitors seem to do. Hairston was a good sign. Save three million from the bench and suffer later. Get junk from the scrap heap for the pen and lose games in the 7th inning and many extra inning games. SA needs to do better this year on this area.
    Excellent point and I couldnt agree more. But the Mets aren't interested in spending money on those guys. They just want to spend as little as possible on Affordable Place Holders (APHs).

    See, you think the idea is to put together the best roster possible so that we might win a championship. How silly of you! That's not the idea at all. The idea, truth be told, is to surround David Wright with a bunch of APHs and hope the Mets win enough games to capture our attention. If we should happen to win a playoff berth or a wildcard spot along the way, so much the better.

    Just so long as no one loses sight of the fact that it's all about the APHs.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    Posts
    16,331
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rdg515 View Post
    The point is to point out we need to spend money on guys like Wigginton, Hinske, AJones, Pierre etc like our competitors seem to do. Hairston was a good sign. Save three million from the bench and suffer later. Get junk from the scrap heap for the pen and lose games in the 7th inning and many extra inning games. SA needs to do better this year on this area.
    Yes, yes, and yes.

    If We Can't Get Tulo Then Sign This Free Agent For Shortstop

    Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

    ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •