1 4.76%
  • GM's

4 19.05%
Page 166 of 262 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168176216 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,490 of 3930

Thread: Trash Can

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AI4LIFE View Post
    And how do you know he's no longer an elite hitter due to one down year?

2006 .304/.362/.500
    2007 .282/.347/.502
    2008 .279/.361/.510
    2009 .277/.407/.551
    2010 .298/.393/.511
    2011 .338/.410/.548

I don't see a "decline" or trend that supports your argument. What you are doing is taking his 2012 and using that sample size instead of the previous 6 years which to me is ridiculous.
    Not to mention he had a surgery that is well-known to cause dips in power the season after.

Coming soon to a TKRO stadium near you

vCash
    Hisashi Iwakuma?

vCash
    Cicero selects Edinson Volquez, SP

vCash
    VRP to the rescue!

vCash
    I'll do PRs tonight for everyone who did my division. so AI, WD, and Fuku

vCash
    Thunder Bay selects Ross Detwiler, SP

vCash
    Per list, Half Chance requests Ricky Romero, SP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AI4LIFE View Post
    And how do you know he's no longer an elite hitter due to one down year?

2006 .304/.362/.500
    2007 .282/.347/.502
    2008 .279/.361/.510
    2009 .277/.407/.551
    2010 .298/.393/.511
    2011 .338/.410/.548

I don't see a "decline" or trend that supports your argument. What you are doing is taking his 2012 and using that sample size instead of the previous 6 years which to me is ridiculous.
    First of all, why does 2006, 2007, and 2008 matter? this is going to be the season of 2013, i don't see how stats then reflect what kind of player he will be in 2013.
    Again I think he will be a very good player, but due to his dip in iso power, his decline in the second half of 2011 i feel it is fair to think he may not put up the same slugging numbers he did in 06-2010.

Bill James is projecting him to slug 502, which is very good but would still be his lowest total since 07, and he is also projecting him to have his lowest is0 since 06. I don't understand why it is riduculous to believe he will be a very good hitter and not an elite hitter.
    I value 2012 season, 2013 projections and the past three years as relevant when evaluating a player in these sort of things.

vCash
    NL West

Dublin

Lineup:

GET MIKE TROUT OUT OF THE 4 HOLE. Had to get that out, sorry. Trout is best suited as a leadoff hitter or even a 3. Hitting him 4 means that your best hitter may not get to the plate in the first inning, which Iím sure you donít want. Trout is a beast, get him in to the first inning. Markakis as a 3 hitter doesnít do it for me, either. I think Markakis is best suited in the 2 hole. He has a solid OBP and has been pretty consistent, but he doesnít have the power for him to be a formidable #3. Pedroia is fine where you have him. Heíll rake with those guys around him, just not sure how it all kind of fits together. I love Desmond Jennings, but Iím not sure why you drafted him. I think you would have been better off going with a power bat there, but cíest la vie. Jennings was hurt last year, so his numbers took a little hit, nothing major though.

Suggestion:

Iím not really sure how all of your pieces fit together. Pedroia is best suited in the 2 spot, but so is Markakis. I guess you could hit one of them 3, but itís not going to get you a lot of votes that way. Trout is amazing, but the 4 spot is a bad place for him IMO. Jennings is nice, but I think his pick should have been devoted to a big bat.

Rotation:

Brandon Morrow is a nice piece, but I donít think heís an ace yet. Youíre leaning on a guy who has never thrown 180 IP in a season to be your ace and lead your staff. Not that I donít believe Morrow wonít get there, but heís not there yet. Moore looked good in his first full season of big league work. I think he can be a #2 SP, might draw some concerns over experience, but the kid has talent. Moore and Morrow are both flyball pitchers, so you should be fine with them in Dodger Stadium. Jason Hammel had a good 2010 in terms of periphs, fell in 2011, and bounced back in 2012. Hammel has had constant fluctuation in his stats. Iím not fully sold on him, I think heís fine as a 3 though.

Suggestion:

I would look into getting a veteran starter quickly, someone who consistently works a ton of innings. All of the TORP are gone, but there are some solid vets left.

Overall:

I said it twice, I think Iím gonna say it again. Reorder your lineup, man. Maybe find a power bat to throw in the middle of your lineup. You have some really good pieces, now you just need to make them fit.

Puerto Rico

Lineup:

I like the way this lineup is. Pagan is a guy who I think is more than capable of setting the table. I remember loving him when he came up with the Cubs and always thinking heíd make an impact. Solid leadoff guy who can make things happen. Alex GordonÖyou bastard. I was one pick away from landing him andÖpoof, you snag him right before my pick. Gordon has turned in two awesome years for a not so good KC team and I think he continues to do the same. Also offers you flexibility to hit him in a bunch of different slots in the lineup. Braun is consistent as can be. Steroids or not, he mashes. You know you can pencil Braun in as an impact player for 150-160 games a season, which would be why he was the 2nd position player taken in the draft. Napoli is coming off of a pretty craptastic year at a hitter friendly ballpark. That being said, their division sucks in terms of hitters parks. Heíll bounce back and should provide protection to Braun. Youíll probably get haters due to his inconsistency, though. Kendrys has such bad luck. If he doesnít break his leg celebrating, looked like he was on his way to be a beast at the plate. Heís still no slouch. I like him as a 5 hitter, any higher would be questionable, but I like him where heís at. Kendrick is an interesting 6 hitter, not sure how I feel about that yet. Iím going to assume that thatís going to change eventually once you draft more players. If it stays this way, I think heís weak for a 6 hitter. 8 or 9? Perfect for him.

Suggestion:

Get some speed in there. Let your guys cause trouble in front of Gordon-Braun. Maybe even move Gordon to the 4? I donít know, you have a lot of flexibility with that lineup.

Rotation:

Iím not sold on Fister as an ace. Heís a very good SP, donít get me wrong, I just donít know about building a rotation around him. Heís only thrown 200 IP once, other than that heís struggled to crack 170. I think from an ace, you want someone you know will be out there for right around 200 IP. I think he can become an ace if he can stay healthy, he has a bright future. I really like Chris Carpenter. A one time ace who got injured has shown he is still capable of pitching like an ace, in spurts. Youíre going to have to deal with all of the health concerns. He only threw 17 innings in 2012, so it might be an uphill battle with voters. Harrell is another guy you stole from me, jerkface. I think heís very underrated. To put up the numbers he did in the types of ballparks in the NL Central is impressive. He also played for a horrific Houston team who plays on a little league field. Could have done much, much worse for your #3 SP.

Suggestion:

I feel like this is my advice to everyone, but fill the back end with some vets who are good for 160-180 IP and youíll be fine. Maybe find a deal for an ace with some of your offensive depth?

Overall:

I like this team. I think your offense is solid enough to carry you with your pitching staff. Fister will get it done, if heís healthy. I think youíve set yourself up well.

Hartford

Lineup:

GrandaLoL leadoff? Címonnnnn man! I donít think he ends up there when you guys are done, but itís gonna be kinda hard to play the first 25/50 games, whatever his suspension is, without a C and a leadoff guy. I think this already puts you at a disadvantage. Berkman is a big question mark. Heís up there in age and barely played last season. Thatís a lot to rely on for your number 2 hitter who hasnít played much in a year. Longoria is solid. He missed some time last year, but heís a sure fire top 3 at his position when healthy and it was good value where you got him at a premium position. Also, please DH Billy Butler. I know Iím not doing defenses, but he doesnít belong in the field. I love his bat though, I think heíll work well behind Longoria and provide enough protection. I like that 3-4 combo. Goldie was a guy I considered a bit, like his talent a lot. If he can repeat his 2012, heíll be an awesome 5 hitter. Kinsler in the 6 makes sense, but I might consider switching him with Berkman. People point to splits as a reason to knock Kinsler, but 2B, outside of a select few, is a pretty bad offensive position and you have one of the better ones. Iím a fan.

Suggestion:

Maybe switch Kinsler and Berkman. Berkmanís health will be a concern, maybe find a decent bat to put behind him. Move Grandal out of the leadoff spot and get some speed somewhere in the lineup. Overall, I like the pieces, just not the order.

Rotation:

Bumgarner has been very good the past 2 years. 200+ IP with solid periphs. Kind of tapered off a bit at the end of 2012, but he showed up huge in the World Series. I consider him a fringe ace, and you could definitely do a lot worse for your #1 SP. Dempster, even though I hate him, has been incredibly consistent. The troublesome issue is that he struggled mightily after joining the Rangers last year (should have just went to the Braves and gotten the Cubs undrafted SP). I like him as a #2 and think you have a good start to your rotation, however, I think you need to bulk up the back end.

Suggestion:

Innings eaters and youíll be okay. Just get some plug and play SP and it shouldnt be a problem.

Overall:

I really like the pieces you have, I just donít like the arrangement. I think you would do well to revamp your lineup and grab some decent backup options for Berkman/Grandal. SP wise, I think I know who youíre loading up for, if so, carry on.

Raleigh

Lineup:

Gardner spent a majority of the year on the bench with an injury, but I like him as a leadoff hitter. Pretty solid OBP and tons of speed. That speed will wreak havoc. If you can battle through the injury complaints, youíll be fine. Scutaro has a realllly hot name right now, you did well to grab him just for that fact. Scutaro consistently has a high OBP and should slot in very nicely in the 2 hole; prototypical 2 hitter. Jason Heyward is one of my favorite non Cubs players. The SLG may be a problem at PetCo, but the guy just knows how to play the game well. Superb defense, will hit for some power and knows how to get on. No slouch on the bases either. The scary part is, heís only going to get better. Allen Craig is somewhat of a question mark to me as a 4 hitter. Heís been very good, heís hit everywhere he has been. This was his first full season in the majors, though. Teams and pitchers will start to pitch him accordingly now. I can see him being a 4 hitter, just maybe a season later. That being said, Iíve said this a lot, you could do much, much worse. Freddie Freeman is going to break out more than he has sooner or later. I believe heís going to have a very nice career in the MLB. As a 5 hitter, I donít see anything wrong with him at all. Heíll hit for some power, help drive in runs, and his OBP is solid. Iím not a huge Hardy fan, but SS sucks offensively after the top 5 or 6, so relative to that, Hardy is alright, especially hitting 7. Heíll hit some HRís, but that OBP is abysmal.

Suggestion:

I really like the way this is put together. Iím not really sold on Craig, yet. I think some more speed will help you. You also play in PetCo, so unless you have an incredible lineup, it will be difficult to mash.

Rotation:

Living in Chicago, I get to see Sale a lot. My family are all White Sox fans, so we actually have season tickets Iíve watched him pitch and itís awesome. Heís the real deal. The concerns are the same for any young TORP. He needs to show he can throw 190-200 IP every year. Haren is a huge bounce back candidate and PetCo is just the medicine he needs. Haren was about as consistent as possible until getting injured. I think he bounces back, but again, youíll have to deal with that concern. Pettitte was a solid pick, but can he last a full season? As a 3, I donít think that hurts you. Anything higher might be trouble, but I think youíre fine. I love EJax as a 4. He could be a 2 on some teams, yet heís your 4. Heís a horse and will eat innings, but pitch well, too.

Suggestions:

You can hang on to take another SP for awhile. I love this rotation and how itís formed. Well done.

Overall:

One of my favorite teams Iíve rated so far. If anyone cant tell, Iíll take pitching first. Some minor tweaks here and there and I think this team can be dangerous.

RANKINGS

Raleigh

Puerto Rico
    Hartford
    Dublin

I like Raleigh a whole lot. The rest of the division is very close, but I have Raleigh up top. Thatís not to say that a couple of moves cannot completely change the landscape of the division.

vCash
    But enough nitpicking about very good and elite hitters
    Will vendable, whyd you guys let him fall this far?
    He is a plus fielder, had a 143+ wrc away from Petco last year, .374 wOBA and in 2011 had a 102 wrc+ away from Petco and in 2010 110 wrc+ away from Petco

He will be good/pretty good in Comerica I think

vCash
    manatees selects Brandon Moss

vCash
    dodger Stadium is a pitcher friendly park.

vCash
    NL done

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyDuquette View Post
    First of all, why does 2006, 2007, and 2008 matter? this is going to be the season of 2013, i don't see how stats then reflect what kind of player he will be in 2013.
    It matters if there was a trend, but as I clearly pointed out there is none.

Again I think he will be a very good player, but due to his dip in iso power, his decline in the second half of 2011 i feel it is fair to think he may not put up the same slugging numbers he did in 06-2010.
    You keep suggesting this decline in the second half of 2011 but I just don't see it:

July - .373/.449/.500, .409 wOBA, 155 wRC+
    August - .283/.341/.478, .350 wOBA, 115 wRC+
    Sept/Oct - .318/.455/.523, .415 wOBA, 159 wRC+

If you are just going by ISO then it's ridiculous of you to actually believe that the the numbers he produced in 2/3 of the first 3 months of the 2011 season were sustainable over the course of an entire season:

Mar/April - .143 ISO
    May - .276 ISO
    June - .303 ISO

Bill James is projecting him to slug 502, which is very good but would still be his lowest total since 07, and he is also projecting him to have his lowest is0 since 06. I don't understand why it is riduculous to believe he will be a very good hitter and not an elite hitter. I value 2012 season, 2013 projections and the past three years as relevant when evaluating a player in these sort of things.
    Maybe the fact that ISO and SLG are not the end all be all stats. Let's go by things you value shall we. Bill James is also projecting Adrian to hit for a .303/.377/.502 line in 2013 and produce a .375 wOBA. If that is not an elite hitter and good enough to hit cleanup for me in between Stanton and Cespedes, then I don't know what is.

His 3YA is .312/.382/.507, .378 wOBA and a 137 wRC+. Keep in mind that these numbers are brought down by his 2012 season totals which was good but not by his standards. Once again, I'll take that type of hitter in the middle of the lineup any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Only argument you have is that he had a down season in 2012, and even then, there are no stats that support your argument that he is on the decline or any trend that suggests it either.

vCash

Lounge 2.222223: Hapee nuigear

Figure it out, y'all.