Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

The Motion Offense

It has been talked about on here and in the media that the Raps have installed a motion offense this season. I am all for a motion offense but I haven't seen much indication from any of the games I have watched that the Raps are actually running it. There is little ball movement and even less off-ball movement, they appear to be playing more of an iso type of offense with everyone standing and watching one player do something. I honestly have never seen a motion offense with less ball movement and off-ball movement.

One of the problems I imagine they are having with this offense is that the Raps are set up to be run by a ball dominant pg, both Lowry and Calderon fit this mold in different ways, while a motion offense is supposed to be less dependent on a pg and more dependent on everyone else playing together. The Raps really don't have the type of players that are good at that though. What are your thoughts on the Raps motion offense?

vCash

The Motion Offense

We should just call it the ISO offence.
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bramaca View Post
    It has been talked about on here and in the media that the Raps have installed a motion offense this season. I am all for a motion offense but I haven't seen much indication from any of the games I have watched that the Raps are actually running it. There is little ball movement and even less off-ball movement, they appear to be playing more of an iso type of offense with everyone standing and watching one player do something. I honestly have never seen a motion offense with less ball movement and off-ball movement.

One of the problems I imagine they are having with this offense is that the Raps are set up to be run by a ball dominant pg, both Lowry and Calderon fit this mold in different ways, while a motion offense is supposed to be less dependent on a pg and more dependent on everyone else playing together. The Raps really don't have the type of players that are good at that though. What are your thoughts on the Raps motion offense?
    They don't have the players with the specific skill sets needed to play within a motion offense. This is why Casey often uses the two pg line up.

vCash
    I hate their offensive sets. Whenever I see them pass the ball to Val around the 3-point line and he is expected to pass it to someone else, I am pissed. We waste so much of the shot clock passing it around the perimeter.

vCash
    The games I have seen...they should rename our offense to the LACK of Motion offense! haha

We have 2 7foot players on the floor most of the time. For the life of me, I don't understand why we aren't playing a version of the Triangle offense, or even just a 3 out 2 in offense working the high-low post. Bargnani is a fantastic passer, and Val has terrific hands...as does Amir and ED.

vCash
    Usually motion offenses have players that only shoot if it's a good option. Most of our players are looking to shoot before they get the ball.

I think we need to pare down the roster so we don't have a team full of guys trying to earn more playing time. We need players that are in the rotation and will play comfortably knowing they won't lose their spot if they don't drop 15 points in their 12 minutes off the bench.

....also we don't have a single player that commands a double-team at really any time. It's tough to start a lot of good ball movement when the opposing defense can play straight-up and we don't make them pay for it.

"Juuuuuuuuuuuuust a bit outside. Wild Thing tried for the corner and missed."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
    They don't have the players with the specific skill sets needed to play within a motion offense. This is why Casey often uses the two pg line up.
    I agree that they don't necesarily have the personel to run the motion offense to the best of its abilities but it doesn't explain why their offense looks absolutely nothing like a motion offense. You can run a motion offense poorly and still have it atleast look like a motion offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_at_york View Post
    I hate their offensive sets. Whenever I see them pass the ball to Val around the 3-point line and he is expected to pass it to someone else, I am pissed. We waste so much of the shot clock passing it around the perimeter.
    Especially when nobody moves, it doesn't make the defense adjust at all.

vCash
    Especially when nobody moves, it doesn't make the defense adjust at all.
    exactly. No wonder Bargs shots so many long jumpers, he catches it, nobody is moving, he probably feels like he might as well shoot it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapsfanforlife View Post
    The games I have seen...they should rename our offense to the LACK of Motion offense! haha

We have 2 7foot players on the floor most of the time. For the life of me, I don't understand why we aren't playing a version of the Triangle offense, or even just a 3 out 2 in offense working the high-low post. Bargnani is a fantastic passer, and Val has terrific hands...as does Amir and ED.
    The motion offense and the triangle have a lot of similarities, so if the Raps are running a motion offense then they are playing a version of the triangle. It just doesn't look like they are playing it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Mund View Post
    Usually motion offenses have players that only shoot if it's a good option. Most of our players are looking to shoot before they get the ball.

I think we need to pare down the roster so we don't have a team full of guys trying to earn more playing time. We need players that are in the rotation and will play comfortably knowing they won't lose their spot if they don't drop 15 points in their 12 minutes off the bench.

....also we don't have a single player that commands a double-team at really any time. It's tough to start a lot of good ball movement when the opposing defense can play straight-up and we don't make them pay for it.
    I mentioned this before the season that Casey had to come up with an 8 or 9 man rotation and go with it but he seems determined to play wholesale line changes and get as many players in as possible.

vCash
    I mentioned this before the season that Casey had to come up with an 8 or 9 man rotation and go with it but he seems determined to play wholesale line changes and get as many players in as possible.
    They need to install boards on the sidelines so the entire line can jump over to do a proper change. Helmets and sticks optional.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    They need to install boards on the sidelines so the entire line can jump over to do a proper change. Helmets and sticks optional.
    Don't know what thats about. Other teams don't do this for the most part but Mitchell did that, Triano was a little better but still did that, and Casey is just as bad with it as Mitchell.