Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 53 of 67 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysFan87 View Post
    You always take the most money you can now instead of later, especially relievers. So many things can happen to you as a reliever that could hurt your stock in the open market. Performance (ie you sucking or someone taking your job, if you remember the only reason why soriano closed was becuase of Rivera's injury), Injury (if he miss any point of the season or goes into the offseason injured then a multi-year deal is not coming. Lastly the market for late inning relievers is ****. When Brandon League can get a 3 year deal worth 20M then im sure the SOriano will get a deal better than that. The only thing working against him is that the team that signs him forfeit a pick but that would have happened next year to so in this case its irrelevant.

Also you say its stupid for a relieve to opt out at his age? Whats more likely to happen, someone give a 33 year old reliever a multi-year contract or someone giving a 34 year old (with god knows what injury or performance issues that could arise this season) a multi-year contract?

In any case Soriano is gonna get 14M or close to it this year. If no one bites on him for a multi-year deal then someone will pay 10-14M for one year of service and tehn he can go out next year as a FA again. In New york he wasnt gonna close anyway so the some of the lust of a "shutdown closer" wears off if you dont close for a year. Either way he will get at worst the same money he would have gotten staying in new york, at best he gets a 3 year deal in the 25M range. Its a win-win situation.
    Just my opinion but Soriano screwed up he will not get more then 14 mil next season and I don't see anyone even giving him more then 10. He should have not opted out and if had decent season could have landed another multi year deal with Yanks again. I'm guessing Rivera retires next year anyway so Soriano would have been kept as closer going forward. Boras got greedy again and Soriano will pay.
    Vancouver Canucks
    Toronto Blue Jays
    San Francisco 49's

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by armchairgm View Post
    Just my opinion but Soriano screwed up he will not get more then 14 mil next season and I don't see anyone even giving him more then 10. He should have not opted out and if had decent season could have landed another multi year deal with Yanks again. I'm guessing Rivera retires next year anyway so Soriano would have been kept as closer going forward. Boras got greedy again and Soriano will pay.
    Whats the risk? He opts out and even if a team doesnt give him a multi-year deal then he signs somewhere for something in the 12-14M for one year to be a close and reenters the market next year for another chance ata multi-year deal.

Sure he could have taken the money right now but he can get close to that ona one yea deal now so why take it?

Then add to the fact a possible performance decline at age 33 or injury both very possible and the smartest thing he could do is opt out to look for a long term deal.

vCash
    Go get Justin Upton .........................................

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysFan87 View Post
    Whats the risk? He opts out and even if a team doesnt give him a multi-year deal then he signs somewhere for something in the 12-14M for one year to be a close and reenters the market next year for another chance ata multi-year deal.

Sure he could have taken the money right now but he can get close to that ona one yea deal now so why take it?

Then add to the fact a possible performance decline at age 33 or injury both very possible and the smartest thing he could do is opt out to look for a long term deal.
    Relievers market is so volatile though.. i think the smart thing to do is take the money while you can.. look at what happened to Madson last year. i bet he wishes he took the Phillies offer

I highly doubt anyone gives Soriano 14 million.. I see him getting 10 million max on a 1 year deal

props to vick27m

"Art was my first major in college but it was too hard, so I majored in math"
    Ron Artest

vCash
    Yeah Soriano isnt getting more then 14 mil at this point. He would be lucky to get a muti year deal. It would be great to have him here but don't see it happening.

vCash
    You'd be better off re-signing lyon and frasor, and then sign like howell and wilson if your dishing out that much cash for relief pitching...

vCash
    I don't want the Jays spending money on Soriano, but I am sort of slightly warming up to it. The only thing is the big money factor, but if you look at what he's done in the past few years as a closer in the AL East to boot, it's pretty impressive.

He was rock solid with TB and very good with NY. I wouldn't be against the Jays signing him as our closer moving forward. Yes that throws Santos under the bus, but I don't know about Santos as our closer as it is.

I love Janssen there but he's still an important bullpen piece.

Toronto Gyarados.
    NHL Pokemon logo's for the win.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash
    Also some teams will have to give up a 1st round pick if they sign Soriano while other teams, like the Jays, will have to give up their 2nd round pick

I still think Soriano and his agent, Boras, made a big mistake not accepting arbritration

vCash
    I dont think Soriano is worth anywhere near $14 million for the 50-60 innings a closer pitches. I would much rather pick up Howell, resign Frasor and sign a Bedard or Zambrano for that kind of money.

vCash
    http://bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/1...jaI/story.html

Ranks the Blue Jays as having the 5th best roster in the Majors..

I really don't understand how he has the Red 2nd way ahead of us and ahead of a team like the Tigers..

I definitely think our roster is better than the Reds. Put guys like Arroyo/Leake and even Bailey in the AL East and things may not be pretty

props to vick27m

Ron Artest

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
    I dont think Soriano is worth anywhere near $14 million for the 50-60 innings a closer pitches. I would much rather pick up Howell, resign Frasor and sign a Bedard or Zambrano for that kind of money.
    I think Howell would be the best addition. He'd come cheap, he's had success and he's a lefty. I don't know if Frasor would be back but he's a good guy and a good pen arm who's been in Toronto for a long time.

Toronto Gyarados.

Blue Jays,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber0104 View Post

I really don't understand how he has the Red 2nd way ahead of us and ahead of a team like the Tigers..

I definitely think our roster is better than the Reds. Put guys like Arroyo/Leake and even Bailey in the AL East and things may not be pretty
    Well it's the Boston Globe, and they would probably have something against putting the Jays higher... but to be honest the Reds do have a pretty stacked team.

If it includes pitching they still are very deep with good arms. They have Votto, Phillips, Choo now in CF, Ludwick, Bruce who's a good bat.

Their pitching they have Chapman, Cueto, Bailey, Arroyo and Latos. All good arms.

It's a toss up for me but I'd still put the Jays ahead.

Toronto Gyarados.

Blue Jays,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLuke2 View Post
    Well it's the Boston Globe, and they would probably have something against putting the Jays higher... but to be honest the Reds do have a pretty stacked team.

If it includes pitching they still are very deep with good arms. They have Votto, Phillips, Choo now in CF, Ludwick, Bruce who's a good bat.

Their pitching they have Chapman, Cueto, Bailey, Arroyo and Latos. All good arms.

It's a toss up for me but I'd still put the Jays ahead.
    i personaly have the tigers ahead of them

props to vick27m

Ron Artest

vCash
    i personaly have the tigers ahead of them
    With Martinez back as their DH and Hunter in the OF, and already a dominant staff with Scherzer, Verlander, Sanchez and Fister... yeah they are definitely in good shape.

I agree with the Nats being #1, but I think Jays and Tigers should be ahead of the Reds.

Toronto Gyarados.

Blue Jays,

Sydney, Australia but born in Exhibition Stadium
    vCash

That's funny...they could be a last place team.
    Boston writers...so sad.
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

Page 53 of 67 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast