Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 67 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StayOnBoard View Post
    So... let's say there's a cap for 150 million. How will that make teams like KC and Oakland spend even close to that cap number?

This has been repeated so many times it's gross, but for the 12093234 time in this debate, you want better revenue sharing, not a salary cap. .
    Look at what they did to the draft under the new CBA. What did they do, set a committee to study the issue for a year or two to come up with that system? Look at the complexity and detail they gave to it. All i'm saying, is that time and effort should have been used to come up with a more equitable team payroll balance.

And let them come up with the system. We don't have to figure out the best way to do it. It's not worth arguing about. But it's been easy to see that there is a problem for like 15+ years and they won't take it on. Team caps and revenue sharing are not incompatable together.

Edit: forgot to mention the point that i like how the NBA puts caps on player salaries as well. MLB needs that as well. No way fat fielder should be getting $218mm IMO or some of these other big ticket signings. So this aspect needs to be worked in as well. So it's not solely team payrolls IMO as the issue. Individual player contracts are getting out of hand as well.
    Last edited by jaysforever; 12-09-2012 at 04:26 PM.

vCash
    Who are you to say what Prince Fielder should or shouldn't earn? Please.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JermanJaysFan View Post
    Arencibia and Rajai for Ogando and Ike Davis??
    Lol this doesn't even make sense ahah plus even if it did it wouldn't happen. Texas would demand a hell of a whole lot more for Ogando.

Toronto Gyarados.
    NHL Pokemon logo's for the win.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash
    Does anyone know when the hell old man Grilli is deciding his future? It's been days now lol. And has anyone heard anything concerning Darren Oliver? He wanted to retire right... but he hasn't announced anything. I hope he returns.

Toronto Gyarados.

Blue Jays,

vCash
    Boston offered Ellsbury for Lee and they rejected, looks like we got lucky...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLuke2 View Post
    Does anyone know when the hell old man Grilli is deciding his future? It's been days now lol. And has anyone heard anything concerning Darren Oliver? He wanted to retire right... but he hasn't announced anything. I hope he returns.
    I think the story with Oliver is that he might be interested in returning, but would like to be closer to his family in Kansas City. They Jays exercised their option on him, so maybe they explore a trade for him to Texas or KC or something and then he makes his decision.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JermanJaysFan View Post
    I think the story with Oliver is that he might be interested in returning, but would like to be closer to his family in Kansas City. They Jays exercised their option on him, so maybe they explore a trade for him to Texas or KC or something and then he makes his decision.
    KC-wild thoughts of Butler as a Jay.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StayOnBoard View Post
    So... let's say there's a cap for 150 million. How will that make teams like KC and Oakland spend even close to that cap number?
    Straw man argument.

It isn't about getting small market teams to spend beyond their means, it's about putting restrictions on a very small percentage of large market teams who are abusing an asset that is only feasible to a small minority.
    Last edited by mtf; 12-09-2012 at 05:30 PM.

vCash
    Well to add some salt to the wound for those who are complaining about the Dodgers spending too much money, they just signed their international pickup from Korea to a deal

The Brilliant Plan of How to Get Andrew Wiggins in a Toronto Uniform
    Quote Originally Posted by deaner View Post
    All I'm saying is the league wants to see Toronto succeeded. An outside chance Silver could say to philly... You know... That's a great trade offer from Toronto for the first pick. It's up to you but we'd love to see wiggins in Toronto.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KidDraco View Post
    Looks like Jays fans who thought the Phillies would just dump one of their big 3 pitchers just to get money off the books weren't very accurate

The Brilliant Plan of How to Get Andrew Wiggins in a Toronto Uniform
    Quote Originally Posted by deaner View Post
    All I'm saying is the league wants to see Toronto succeeded. An outside chance Silver could say to philly... You know... That's a great trade offer from Toronto for the first pick. It's up to you but we'd love to see wiggins in Toronto.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lajoie View Post
    Well to add some salt to the wound for those who are complaining about the Dodgers spending too much money, they just signed their international pickup from Korea to a deal
    I don't really care that the Dodgers specifically are the ones spending too much money. I think they're a poorly run organization and that this will blow up in their face. I just don't like an economic system in baseball which is open to such abuse by such a small minority of teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lajoie View Post
    Looks like Jays fans who thought the Phillies would just dump one of their big 3 pitchers just to get money off the books weren't very accurate
    Lee is under contract for at least $ 109 million or up to $ 124 million with team option.
    Ellsbury owed 8 million this year and is arb eligible next year then a FA.

Seems like a pretty accurate attempt to drop close to $ 100 million in salary.

vCash
    FOr what its worth....the sports market/leagues are flawed markets. Even in MLB where there is no cap you still have limitations on spending by rules, ie entry level contracts. YOu also have limitations on movement by rules ie service time. When you are working in a system with rules that restrict movement and amount can make (or not make ie veteran minimum) then a "free market" doesn't really exist. SOOOO teams, fans, anyone can make a case for a cap (if they choose to do so) as a way to even out playing field.

If I had to choose I would say a cap is necessary because you are not working an even playing field when revenue streams of smaller market teams are soooo much small then bigger market teams. Its not like opening a business in Toronto where everyone has equal opportunity to business.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KidDraco View Post
    Don't know what to think honestly.. Probably for the best (for us) because Lee is good while Ellsbury is hit or miss and might leave them anyways

props to vick27m

"Art was my first major in college but it was too hard, so I majored in math"
    Ron Artest

vCash
    Ellsbury is a stud. He was just hurt last year which is risky because now you don't know if he can stay healthy... but he's definitely one of the better hitting/defensive/running outfielders when healthy. For sure.

So if they let him go their stupid IMO... but if it's true they offered him for Lee then that's good Philly said no.

Toronto Gyarados.

Blue Jays,

Page 5 of 67 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast