Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Sam Mitchell was awful. I can't believe people here actually think he was good

vCash
    He is a lot better than Casey. He knew how to best utilize the talent on the team and we made it to the playoffs with him. With that said, I would stick with Casey for at least this and next year so we can fire his butt and bring in a good coach when we have a decent team.

Best coaches of all time for the raptors goes:
    1) Butch Carter
    2) Sam Mitchell
    3) Lenny Wilkens

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
    Carlise isn't an X and O coach either. He'll have the same stubborn rotations as Casey. Guess who taught Casey that?

JVG and Sloan aren't coming here.
    Aside from winning a championship, can you enlighten me what is Carlisle as a coach.

Also please tell me if you are the agent of Sloan or JVG posing as a PSD poster. 5 million a year offered to a coach and you basically just throw it aside and will not listen to the franchise's direction going forward.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps Insider 12 View Post
    Aside from winning a championship, can you enlighten me what is Carlisle as a coach.

Also please tell me if you are the agent of Sloan or JVG posing as a PSD poster. 5 million a year offered to a coach and you basically just throw it aside and will not listen to the franchise's direction going forward.
    Whatever Casey is doing, that's how Carlise coaches. Obviously, Carlise will make less mistakes but most of Casey's coaching philosophies come from Carlise. The only problem is that Carlise has the players he needs to optimize his coaching philosophies whereas Casey doesn't.

Sloan and JVG have been offered numerous contracts and have rejected all of them, so of course they'll throw it aside. Mike Brown's contract was 4.5MM/year (5MM after double taxation is probably less) and guess who the two other possible candidates were? JVG doesn't want to uproot his family and Sloan is most likely retired.

vCash
    i don't know if i want Mitchell back but he got thrown under the bus pretty bad by Colangelo. it is funny that several years later he decided to bring back someone that was supposedly known for all of the things Mitchell did though.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jays Claw View Post
    "Just throw it into Bosh."

- Sam Mitchell
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by FlakeyFool View Post
    Sam Mitchell was awful. I can't believe people here actually think he was good
    And this.
    Last edited by ink; 12-08-2012 at 04:04 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    i don't know if i want Mitchell back but he got thrown under the bus pretty bad by Colangelo. it is funny that several years later he decided to bring back someone that was supposedly known for all of the things Mitchell did though.
    Really? Sam was known for great defensive systems and winning an NBA championship?

vCash
    Whatever Casey is doing, that's how Carlise coaches. Obviously, Carlise will make less mistakes but most of Casey's coaching philosophies come from Carlise. The only problem is that Carlise has the players he needs to optimize his coaching philosophies whereas Casey doesn't.
    Great points.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    This.

And this.
    His teams were built like that. Dump it into bosh and then pass it around the horn. We had no talented wings that could slash and create. He expressed that to BC but nothing came. He made due with what he had and got coach of the year and made it to the playoffs. Just to be clear, Bosh was in the low block when Smitch was here. BC built the team with a ton of 3pt shooters so he had no choice but to do all that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aman_13 View Post
    If I'm a gm, I do everything possible to get Sloan to coach this team.
    agreed. Hand him the keys. Let him coach for longer than any player is on our roster. Let the team know HE is the key to success and that they are replaceable. Toronto should have more money to play with on personelle than Utah ever did.

too bad Sloan's probably done for good.

vCash

Sloan and JVG have been offered numerous contracts and have rejected all of them, so of course they'll throw it aside. Mike Brown's contract was 4.5MM/year (5MM after double taxation is probably less) and guess who the two other possible candidates were? JVG doesn't want to uproot his family and Sloan is most likely retired.
    Well said. Yes there are similarities between Carlisle and Casey but I can pinpoint some differences on the way they manage their rotation. Carlisle I think is more on target when calling timeouts. He is more refined when to calm his team down and when to let them play. He I think also chooses to come down hard on a player while bringing players right back up at crucial times. I don't see that from Casey. I also thought of him as more of a defensive minded offensive strategist if that is the word to best describe Carlisle.

Of course Carlisle has more talent at his disposal but I regard him as more of a multi dimensional kind of coach not a rigid one. I think Casey is more scripted in his coaching. Carlisle as the head coach and Casey as the assistant of my team that I'm rooting for, I will take it any day of the year.

That being said, I don't think it's the right time yet to fire coach Casey. This debacle is on BC and not the coach.

With regards to JVG and Sloan, 5 million would be an attractive offer but if your facts are right due to personal reasons then money is of no value for either of them. Although that will not change my point of view that both will definitely change the direction of this team.

Thread is about Smitch so I think we should stick to that.
    Last edited by Raps Insider 12; 12-08-2012 at 04:27 PM.

vCash
    Well said. Yes there are similarities between Carlisle and Casey but I can pinpoint some differences on the way they manage their rotation.
    Actually, they're pretty much the same. Dallas fans were calling for Carlise's head for pretty much the same reasons Raptor fans are calling for Casey's head.

vCash
    Actually, they're pretty much the same. Dallas fans were calling for Carlise's head for pretty much the same reasons Raptor fans are calling for Casey's head.
    No two person is alike dude but if that is your belief then I respect that.

One more thing about Carlisle and I read it from somewhere.

He utilizes Dirk like clockwork. He runs a simple 3 out, 2 in motion style offense that relies heavily on ball screen action, spacing and keeping the floor spread for Dirk's isolation.

Although neither Dirk or Bargs are alike as well. Damn those DNA strands.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    Really? Sam was known for great defensive systems and winning an NBA championship?
    no but he was known for being a no ******** kind of guy and getting hard work from his players. and in that respect he lived up to his label.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    No two person is alike dude but if that is your belief then I respect that.

One more thing about Carlisle and I read it from somewhere.

He utilizes Dirk like clockwork. He runs a simple 3 out, 2 in motion style offense that relies heavily on ball screen action, spacing and keeping the floor spread for Dirk's isolation.

Although neither Dirk or Bargs are alike as well. Damn those DNA strands.
    There's a difference between 'like' and the 'same'.

Prior to playoffs, Rick Carlise was criticized by the fan base and many wanted him fired for his inability to manipulate match ups and to juggle rotations. They also criticized his offense for being too rigid and too predictable.

Doesn't that sound familiar?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast