Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Another 'Nails' story

I read this and couldn't help note that here was a player we loved. Tough as Nails, sure, but I always admired him as someone who always fought hard to play above any expectations of him.

I saw him in his major league debut and laughed. This was a major leaguer? This stump of a human being? I stopped laughing when his 5-foot-8-inch nothing of an athlete managed to line a pitch just over the right field foul line for a home run in his second major league at bat.

But even then i was sure it was a fluke. Lenny Dykstra, I was sure, was no major league player. We were wasting our time with him.

But he was and we weren't. Indeed, not only was he a major league player but he was a damned good one at that. No other Met in team history -- Donn Clendenon, Gary Carter, Darryl Strawberry, or even Mike Piazza -- has hit more home runs in the post season than Lenny Dykstra.

It never occurred to me that this exciting player, one of my all time Met favorites, was a POS as a person. Who knew?

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...1.4280504?qr=1
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

East Flatbush to Canarsie to Roselle park
    vCash
    Sad story.

He was an all time favorite of mine, I was angry the day they traded him to the Phillies

vCash
    It's really a shame to see these kinds of stories.

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    I loved Lenny from the getgo. He played tough the way the game was meant to be played. He played with the intensity from the likes of Pete Rose, Joe Morgan, and Roberto Clemente.

He always had that toughness and swagger. It was part of what made the '86 team a force to be reckoned with.

As his positive attributes won #4 a World Series ring and a place in baseball history, now his arrogance and greed have earned him an orange jump suit with a nine/ten digit prisoner number.

Nails, sadly you have disappointed me, from a fan that once admired you very much......
    Last edited by Paulie6986; 12-08-2012 at 05:42 PM.
    It's Bumper Car Season

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie6986 View Post
    I loved Lenny from the getgo. He played tough the way the game was meant to be played. He played with the intensity from the likes of Pete Rose, Joe Morgan, and Roberto Clemente.

He always had that toughness and swagger. It was part of what made the '86 team a force to be reckoned with.

As his positive attributes won #4 a World Series ring and a place in baseball history, now his arrogance and greed have earned him an orange jump suit with a nine/ten digit prisoner number.

Nails, sadly you have disappointed me, from a fan that once admired you very much......
    Agreed

vCash
    Hubris and time make fools of us all...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie6986 View Post

Nailed it on Nails Paulie.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."