Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Edwin Jackson?

vCash

Edwin Jackson?

This guy intrigues me. He pitched very good when he was with us and I think he'd be better than Porcello and close to Sanchez for our rotation. He'd come at a much less cost than Sanchez also. I think a two year $24M with a third year mutual option would get him here. I think with him at the 4 spot in the rotation we'd be as solid as last year and not have as much cash and years committed as we would with Sanchez. Agree?

vCash
    I'd defiantly love to have him back. Make one of Porcello/Smyly expendable. Hopefully it would be Porcello. I like him, but because he is a ground ball pitcher, he will never be very good hear with the infield D the Tigers have

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hoog View Post
    This guy intrigues me. He pitched very good when he was with us and I think he'd be better than Porcello and close to Sanchez for our rotation. He'd come at a much less cost than Sanchez also. I think a two year $24M with a third year mutual option would get him here. I think with him at the 4 spot in the rotation we'd be as solid as last year and not have as much cash and years committed as we would with Sanchez. Agree?
    Disagree. I like Edwin Jackson...but historically a first half pitcher that lacks stamina in the second half, and subsequently the post season. Porcello and Smyly offer more upside as the stats on Jackson are well documented. He is rumored to want at least a three year deal, Pass. If you could get Edwin on a one year deal with a club option 2nd year, maybe, but otherwise no thanks...one more thing to remember, he offers the Tigers NO trade value at the break either...

vCash
    If we can't bring Sanchez back, sure.

Catches: 14 Yards: 125 TDs: 1

vCash
    Starter for the 1st half of the season and we bring Smyly out of the pen, then swap them in the 2nd half of the season, just a thought.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sc8581 View Post
    Starter for the 1st half of the season and we bring Smyly out of the pen, then swap them in the 2nd half of the season, just a thought.
    Not for a 2yr $24M deal with an option on the third year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by T $$$ View Post
    Not for a 2yr $24M deal with an option on the third year.
    Do you really think it would cost that much to sign him? I was thinking more like $16 million over 2 years.

vCash
    Do you really think it would cost that much to sign him? I was thinking more like $16 million over 2 years.
    That's my guess. He wanted a multiple year last year and settled for a one year at 11M and with Dempster looking at 3 years at $13M then I'd say yea he'll probably get 12M a year.

vCash
    Nah, all he would do is cost money and get nothing from him. I don't like Porcello but I'd rather have him. At least he's young and can bring some trade value if needed.

vCash
    Look at the original post...I did not say 2 for 24...and I agree with kokes, I would rather have Porcello.

vCash
    So he couldn't get a multi-year deal last year, he gets $11 million for one year, has an ERA over 4 in the NL, is a year older, and somehow gets a raise and a multi-year deal this winter? I don't get it.

vCash
    So he couldn't get a multi-year deal last year, he gets $11 million for one year, has an ERA over 4 in the NL, is a year older, and somehow gets a raise and a multi-year deal this winter? I don't get it.
    Joe Blanton signed a 2yr $15.5M deal to be essentially a 6th starter
    Jake Peavy signed 2yr $29M
    Kuroda signed 1yr $15M,
    Pettitte signed 1yr $12M, and he is 40
    Jeremy Guthrie signed 3yrs $25M with the Royals
    Scott Baker signed 1yr $5.5M
    Scott Feldman, who pitched in the BP last season, signed 1yr $6M

Pitching market is down making the demand higher and driving up the prices this offseason...just as Sanchez will get his 6yr $90M contract, so will EJax get a multi-year deal. Bank on it.

vCash
    Disagree. I like Edwin Jackson...but historically a first half pitcher that lacks stamina in the second half, and subsequently the post season. Porcello and Smyly offer more upside as the stats on Jackson are well documented. He is rumored to want at least a three year deal, Pass. If you could get Edwin on a one year deal with a club option 2nd year, maybe, but otherwise no thanks...one more thing to remember, he offers the Tigers NO trade value at the break either...
    I was going to say something similar. To me he's inconsistant. Seems like we already have a couple pitchers like that. I wouldn't want to tie up that much for two or more years. One? Maybe. But not rush into anything. There really isn't any hurry . See what happens now that Grienke is signed. Sanchez will be next to go.
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

vCash
    Joe Blanton signed a 2yr $15.5M deal to be essentially a 6th starter
    Jake Peavy signed 2yr $29M
    Kuroda signed 1yr $15M,
    Pettitte signed 1yr $12M, and he is 40
    Jeremy Guthrie signed 3yrs $25M with the Royals
    Scott Baker signed 1yr $5.5M
    Scott Feldman, who pitched in the BP last season, signed 1yr $6M

Pitching market is down making the demand higher and driving up the prices this offseason...just as Sanchez will get his 6yr $90M contract, so will EJax get a multi-year deal. Bank on it.
    Just because the market is down doesn't mean over-spend and be stupid. That's what makes a good GM. The guy who's patient and grabs deals when he sees them and spends money on certain players, not a guy who lets the market dictate what he does.

vCash
    A good GM trades for Revere, a bad GM signs Bourn for $15 million per on a long-term deal. DD unfortunately is a bad GM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast