Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: Edwin Jackson?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,736
    vCash
    1500

    Edwin Jackson?

    This guy intrigues me. He pitched very good when he was with us and I think he'd be better than Porcello and close to Sanchez for our rotation. He'd come at a much less cost than Sanchez also. I think a two year $24M with a third year mutual option would get him here. I think with him at the 4 spot in the rotation we'd be as solid as last year and not have as much cash and years committed as we would with Sanchez. Agree?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,786
    vCash
    1500
    I'd defiantly love to have him back. Make one of Porcello/Smyly expendable. Hopefully it would be Porcello. I like him, but because he is a ground ball pitcher, he will never be very good hear with the infield D the Tigers have

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    K-zoo
    Posts
    1,160
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by hoog View Post
    This guy intrigues me. He pitched very good when he was with us and I think he'd be better than Porcello and close to Sanchez for our rotation. He'd come at a much less cost than Sanchez also. I think a two year $24M with a third year mutual option would get him here. I think with him at the 4 spot in the rotation we'd be as solid as last year and not have as much cash and years committed as we would with Sanchez. Agree?
    Disagree. I like Edwin Jackson...but historically a first half pitcher that lacks stamina in the second half, and subsequently the post season. Porcello and Smyly offer more upside as the stats on Jackson are well documented. He is rumored to want at least a three year deal, Pass. If you could get Edwin on a one year deal with a club option 2nd year, maybe, but otherwise no thanks...one more thing to remember, he offers the Tigers NO trade value at the break either...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    65,406
    vCash
    0
    If we can't bring Sanchez back, sure.



    Catches: 14 Yards: 125 TDs: 1

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    2,527
    vCash
    1500
    Starter for the 1st half of the season and we bring Smyly out of the pen, then swap them in the 2nd half of the season, just a thought.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    K-zoo
    Posts
    1,160
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sc8581 View Post
    Starter for the 1st half of the season and we bring Smyly out of the pen, then swap them in the 2nd half of the season, just a thought.
    Not for a 2yr $24M deal with an option on the third year.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    2,527
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by T $$$ View Post
    Not for a 2yr $24M deal with an option on the third year.
    Do you really think it would cost that much to sign him? I was thinking more like $16 million over 2 years.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,736
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sc8581 View Post
    Do you really think it would cost that much to sign him? I was thinking more like $16 million over 2 years.
    That's my guess. He wanted a multiple year last year and settled for a one year at 11M and with Dempster looking at 3 years at $13M then I'd say yea he'll probably get 12M a year.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    274
    vCash
    1500
    Nah, all he would do is cost money and get nothing from him. I don't like Porcello but I'd rather have him. At least he's young and can bring some trade value if needed.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    K-zoo
    Posts
    1,160
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sc8581 View Post
    Do you really think it would cost that much to sign him? I was thinking more like $16 million over 2 years.
    Look at the original post...I did not say 2 for 24...and I agree with kokes, I would rather have Porcello.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    2,527
    vCash
    1500
    So he couldn't get a multi-year deal last year, he gets $11 million for one year, has an ERA over 4 in the NL, is a year older, and somehow gets a raise and a multi-year deal this winter? I don't get it.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    K-zoo
    Posts
    1,160
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sc8581 View Post
    So he couldn't get a multi-year deal last year, he gets $11 million for one year, has an ERA over 4 in the NL, is a year older, and somehow gets a raise and a multi-year deal this winter? I don't get it.
    Joe Blanton signed a 2yr $15.5M deal to be essentially a 6th starter
    Jake Peavy signed 2yr $29M
    Kuroda signed 1yr $15M,
    Pettitte signed 1yr $12M, and he is 40
    Jeremy Guthrie signed 3yrs $25M with the Royals
    Scott Baker signed 1yr $5.5M
    Scott Feldman, who pitched in the BP last season, signed 1yr $6M

    Pitching market is down making the demand higher and driving up the prices this offseason...just as Sanchez will get his 6yr $90M contract, so will EJax get a multi-year deal. Bank on it.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,325
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by T $$$ View Post
    Disagree. I like Edwin Jackson...but historically a first half pitcher that lacks stamina in the second half, and subsequently the post season. Porcello and Smyly offer more upside as the stats on Jackson are well documented. He is rumored to want at least a three year deal, Pass. If you could get Edwin on a one year deal with a club option 2nd year, maybe, but otherwise no thanks...one more thing to remember, he offers the Tigers NO trade value at the break either...
    I was going to say something similar. To me he's inconsistant. Seems like we already have a couple pitchers like that. I wouldn't want to tie up that much for two or more years. One? Maybe. But not rush into anything. There really isn't any hurry . See what happens now that Grienke is signed. Sanchez will be next to go.
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    274
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by T $$$ View Post
    Joe Blanton signed a 2yr $15.5M deal to be essentially a 6th starter
    Jake Peavy signed 2yr $29M
    Kuroda signed 1yr $15M,
    Pettitte signed 1yr $12M, and he is 40
    Jeremy Guthrie signed 3yrs $25M with the Royals
    Scott Baker signed 1yr $5.5M
    Scott Feldman, who pitched in the BP last season, signed 1yr $6M

    Pitching market is down making the demand higher and driving up the prices this offseason...just as Sanchez will get his 6yr $90M contract, so will EJax get a multi-year deal. Bank on it.
    Just because the market is down doesn't mean over-spend and be stupid. That's what makes a good GM. The guy who's patient and grabs deals when he sees them and spends money on certain players, not a guy who lets the market dictate what he does.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    2,527
    vCash
    1500
    A good GM trades for Revere, a bad GM signs Bourn for $15 million per on a long-term deal. DD unfortunately is a bad GM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •