Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stipe1280 View Post
    Key word in that was: "might" be willing to pay.

I say screw it and sign another AAA caliber backup catcher. First pick in the draft anyone???

(Please note my sarcasm)
    I mean in all reality you are very much on point. Give it next year, see what happens. If we fall out which is a very likely scenario rebuilding for another run in a few years may be the only option.

The class next year will be just as overpaid as this one, and there really aren't many key players out there.
    2012 Texas Rangers Offseason

"I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never” -Rafael Palmeiro (4 Months before testing positive for steroids)

Texas Rangers 2010-11 American League Champions!

Indianapolis Colts Super Bowl XLI Champions!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by waveone View Post
    Might would be scraping the bottom of the barrel for a 33 year old IMO. Looks like Texas will be competing for a good draft pick net year if something drastic doesn't happen.

Perhaps they are too arrogant and too stingy and thus have rubbed people wrong.

Daniels looks more and more like an amateur who is in over his head. Excuses only go so far in the big leagues.
    Daniels bad moves have been consistently overlooked for two reasons:
    1. The Tex trade: The issue here is, there was a bidding war essentially for Tex. I have no doubt any one of us could have pulled off that trade. JD doesn't personally scout many players and I doubt he scouted many of the players in the Braves organization, if any. No, he had scouts who did that for him, all he had to do was plug them in to the trade. JD simply receives too much credit for something nearly any person in baseball could have pulled off. Desperate teams make dumb moves.

2. The success of our international scouting (namely in Japan and Central America): Once again, this is mostly done by people NOT named Jon Daniels. Yes, he did go watch Darvish in person...AFTER others had already scouted him.

Daniels has taken advantage of dumping players when the Rangers were bad and landing good quality in return from desperate teams. He's benefited from a very good scouting department as well. Now, as the Rangers have been successful and as he's been incapable of just dumping good players off on other teams, his moves have looked worse and worse.

His best move of his career was the Napoli trade. But as someone mentioned in another thread, we have watched our top free agent walk THREE straight years (Lee, Wilson, Hamilton). That's just pathetic. We're in a top 5 media market in the US, we set the all time attendance record for our club, they've raised ticket prices two years running (and I wouldn't be surprised to see a third), they have a huge TV deal they signed where they got part up front and the rest over time (starting in 2014 if I remember right)...there is NO reason we should be so cheap. It's infuriating.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    — Dr. Seuss

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzik View Post
    Daniels bad moves have been consistently overlooked for two reasons:
    1. The Tex trade: The issue here is, there was a bidding war essentially for Tex. I have no doubt any one of us could have pulled off that trade. JD doesn't personally scout many players and I doubt he scouted many of the players in the Braves organization, if any. No, he had scouts who did that for him, all he had to do was plug them in to the trade. JD simply receives too much credit for something nearly any person in baseball could have pulled off. Desperate teams make dumb moves.

2. The success of our international scouting (namely in Japan and Central America): Once again, this is mostly done by people NOT named Jon Daniels. Yes, he did go watch Darvish in person...AFTER others had already scouted him.

Daniels has taken advantage of dumping players when the Rangers were bad and landing good quality in return from desperate teams. He's benefited from a very good scouting department as well. Now, as the Rangers have been successful and as he's been incapable of just dumping good players off on other teams, his moves have looked worse and worse.

His best move of his career was the Napoli trade. But as someone mentioned in another thread, we have watched our top free agent walk THREE straight years (Lee, Wilson, Hamilton). That's just pathetic. We're in a top 5 media market in the US, we set the all time attendance record for our club, they've raised ticket prices two years running (and I wouldn't be surprised to see a third), they have a huge TV deal they signed where they got part up front and the rest over time (starting in 2014 if I remember right)...there is NO reason we should be so cheap. It's infuriating.
    This is a really good point. So many people credit JD with not just the international signings, but with good draft classes in general. The real credit should go to the scouts.

As for being cheap...what I don't get is how we can afford stadium upgrades every single year. If we don't have money for on the field product, then why are we prioritizing being able to see the field when we walk in the home plate entrance? It really pisses me off.

Who needs Josh Hamilton when you can have this for $11m?

vCash
    Noone should also get all gigiddy about winning the eBay auction that was Yu Darvish.

"I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never” -Rafael Palmeiro (4 Months before testing positive for steroids)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vigilantex69 View Post
    Noone should also get all gigiddy about winning the eBay auction that was Yu Darvish.
    Umm, why? The Darvish bid and signing has been a success so far.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    Umm, why? The Darvish bid and signing has been a success so far.
    I just meant it in that winning a bidding for Darvish isn't exactly some huge general management success. Not like pulling off a trade or something.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123