Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

2013 Free Agnecy

We have a Trade Rumors thread...with the summer beginning, I thought we could use a thread devoted to potential Free Agent targets.

The Cavs have a lot of room under the cap that they could use to accomplish Daniel Gilbert's goal of reaching the playoffs this season. Considering the new/old coach...which free agents will we look towards?

The "Top 20 Free Agents" are listed below (from the Detroit Free Press).
    1. Chris Paul - not coming to Cleveland.
    2. Dwight Howard - not coming to Cleveland
    3. Andre Iguodala - would be interested, but would drastically alter the summer of 2014 plans (still don't believe that LeBron is coming back...I would hate to miss out on Iggy AND LBJ)...Iggy is a scorer and solid defender that would fit in well with Mike Brown. Can he play SF for solid portions of games?
    4. Josh Smith - no interest in pursuing him
    5. David West - not getting any younger (32), plays a position that we are/could be deep, most likely going back to Indy
    6. Paul Milsap - intriguing, but doubtful for Cleveland...TT is younger, better rebounder...Milsap may be better scorer, but he doesn't play a position that we NEED to upgrade.
    7. Al Jefferson - again...intriguing, but I don't see him winding up here...more likely to stay in Utah
    8. Jeff Teague - looking for starting gig, not going to come here to be Kyrie's back-up.
    9. Brandon Jennings - not coming to Cleveland...already have Kyrie
    10. Nikola Pekovic - would LOVE to have him in Cleveland for the right price, however Minnesota can match offer, so we would have to overpay...but signing him would allow us to go after the BPA in the draft.
    11. Andrew Bynum - NO...NO....and NO
    12. OJ Mayo - not likely for Cleveland...wish he were a little taller and could play the SF position, but he isn't and won't be coming here
    13. Kevin Martin - I wouldn't mind taking a look at him, may command more money than we should spend on him, but he is definite upgrade over Alonzo Gee (if he can slide over from SG to SF).
    14. Tony Allen - solid defender, will command more than we should spend on, essentially, a defender
    15 - JJ Redick - could be a solid 6th man type, not great in any one area, but solid in most
    16 - Manu Ginobli - would be SHOCKED to see him leave San Antonio, and his best basketball is behind him
    17 - Monta Ellis - can flat out shoot, but he won't be on our radar with Kyrie
    18 - Corey Brewer - averaged 2 more points than Alonzo Gee in fewer minutes...would be interested to see how much he will command on the open market...bigger than Gee and a better scorer while not losing out on defense.
    19 - Tyreke Evans - not a position of need, someone will give him starter money, and it won't be Cleveland
    20 - Nate Robinson - interesting, but his '12-13 season will convince someone to give him starter money...would be VERY nice to have off the bench.

Our own free agents
    Daniel Gibson - time for a change for Boobie
    Omri Casspi - hopefully his time in Cleveland will bring us SOMETHING before 2017 2nd rounder, but he won't be back...more likely to wind up overseas
    Luke Walton - not a bad bench presence, woulnd't mind him for cheap
    Wayne Ellington - should give him a qualifying offer...did nothing to sway me away from having him on our bench
    Shaun Livingston - solid back-up PG (as long as he is healthy)...would love to have him back if he doesn't want too much $$$
    CJ Miles - would be cheap to bring back, will depend on what else we do in free agency.
    Marreese Speights - if he is willing to take his option, would be interested, otherwise, he will likely price himself out of Cleveland (started strong here after the trade, but tapered off as the season went along).

Needs in order of importance (at least mine)
    1. upgrade the SF position
    2. depth down low
    3. back-up PG (either re-sign Livingston, draft, or bring in someone via free agency)
    4. overall bench depth and/or winning experience

Could we realistically end up with 2 of the Top 20?

Thoughts?

vCash
    From that list, I think the players they will most likely go after include: Tony Allen, Iggy, and Pekovic. It really depends on what they do with the first pick. If they go Porter, I don't see them taking on Allen, or Iggy. But definitely Pekovic. If they go Len/Noel, then Iggy/Allen are in play.

vCash
    Wouldn't be surprised to see Gibson catch on in Miami, I think he could be a good spot up 3 pt shooter, with Mike Miller maybe retiring or them maybe amnestying him and the fact that him and LeBron have mended their relationship and were really close prior to the Decision, seems like a good fit...

vCash
    I imagine the Grizzlies would try to keep Allen as he is one of their fan favorites as well as a great team player...but if he came cheap, I wouldn't be opposed to going after him.
    I would really like to see either Brewer or Iggy if they don't pick Otto Porter...and Pekovic would be a huge get...solid defender and can put the ball in the basket down low...imagine a rotation of TT, Andy, Pek, Tyler Zeller, and perhaps Speights down low...would have to be top 5 in the league down low!

PG - Kyrie, Livingston
    SG - Waiters, Miles, Ellington
    SF - Iggy/Brewer/Porter (hopefully ONE of these 3 will be wearing Wine and Gold), Gee
    PF - TT, Speights, Andy
    C - Andy, Pek, Zeller

Did I leave anyone off????????? OH YEAH, Kevin Jones needs to be put in the starting spot at PF

vCash
    I'm a Realtor.....and Boobies house in westlake was for sale last time I looked about a month or so ago. He had a forwarding address to somewhere in Houston so he's as good as gone. Maybe we overpay for pekovic but that's all I can see from this list

FACTORY OF SADNESS
    1999-????

vCash
    Does anyone think that Houston might try and trade Asik, so that they can go after Howard?

vCash
    I could see Houston trying to trade him as a part of the deal to acquire Howard, but I don't see them doing it until they HAVE Howard locked up.

vCash
    Brownie, first thanks for starting the thread. Second it seems like the most intersted candidates they are in right now through FA is PF's. Earl Clark is the name I keep hearing thrown out to replace Speights this offseason so you might want to add him to your list.

Cleveland’s top priority in free agency will be bolstering the power forward spot, where Speights’ price will be too high. One of their top targets to fill the spot, a source said, is the Lakers’ Earl Clark, who played well last year (7.3 points and 5.5 rebounds) after a stint in China and would be interested in signing with Cleveland. Clark earned $1.2 million last year.
    http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/stor...en-otto-porter

Sam Amico ‏ @ SamAmicoFSO 6m
    Yes. They seem to be quite interested. RT @ JShikner: any truth to the earl Clark rumors for the cavs?

Best Friends 4-Life!!!

vCash
    Think we're still interested in Clark after the draft? I'm thinking we're pretty set at PF now. Youd think they would want to give Bennett as many minutes as possible. Maybe Brown really liked Clark in LA?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Klivlend View Post
    Think we're still interested in Clark after the draft? I'm thinking we're pretty set at PF now. Youd think they would want to give Bennett as many minutes as possible. Maybe Brown really liked Clark in LA?
    Clark plays a big 3 at times too but unless they move TT which could still be a possibility I dont see Clark being needed anymore as Bennett fills that tweener 4 role that can provide rebounding and offense off the bench. I think TT and Zeller's names will be talked about during the offseason in Trade Rumors since they are keeping Bennett (which apperantly Mike Brown loves) and because Andy might not have as much value as the two youngsters where Brown also loves him and his versatility and leadership.

Best Friends 4-Life!!!

vCash
    Pekovic or bust!!!!!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by browniebuck View Post
    Pekovic or bust!!!!!!!!
    Ive been on the Pekovic train for a while. I think Minny is going to match any offer as he seems like their #1 priority this offseason. I can see Portland and Cleveland both offering him a contract but if it gets past 12 million a year for the guy I hope Cleveland balks as I don't think he is worth that much longterm and would rather have the cap space available than lock him up longterm for something over 12 million. Plus he isn't too much of a above the rim type defender which still seems to be missing from this team. If they go big I would imagine it would be for a more defensive minded big at least after taking an offensive big last night. Don't know who that could be though as we really have no idea who will be availabe via trade this offseason as it should be crazy with the CBA.

Best Friends 4-Life!!!

vCash
    Grant mentioned that they will target a back up pg, another big, and some perimeter shooting this offseason. Here you go:

Chris Paul - Backup PG
    Dwight Howard - Another Big
    JJ Reddick - Perimeter Shooting

Okay, more realistic

Back up PG - I have no idea (Myck Kobango?)
    Big - Pekovic
    Perimeter Shooting - JJ Reddick or OJ Mayo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
    Grant mentioned that they will target a back up pg, another big, and some perimeter shooting this offseason. Here you go:

Chris Paul - Backup PG
    Dwight Howard - Another Big
    JJ Reddick - Perimeter Shooting

Okay, more realistic

Back up PG - I have no idea (Myck Kobango?)
    Big - Pekovic
    Perimeter Shooting - JJ Reddick or OJ Mayo
    Reddick and Mayo are going to price themselves out of the Cavs range IMO.

My wish list is:

Backup PG- Jarrett Jack
    Perimeter shooter - Dorell Wright
    Big - Pekovic

If that happened I could easily see this team making the Eastern Playoffs next year.

Fallback if they price themselves out of Cavs range:

Backup PG - Eric Maynor (has to show healthy though), DJ Augustin, Will Bynum
    Perimeter Shooter - Martell Webster, Anthony Morrow
    Big - Zaza (couldnt really find any bigs that would take a backup role and come cheap besides him)

Best Friends 4-Life!!!

vCash
    Just thinking out loud too. If they are content on having some money come off the books next offseason too while still hitting close to the threshold maybe giving Bynum a 1 year contract at around 10-12 mill which is probably more than he will get anywhere else to see if he can come back healthy for one season and add a big punch to the lineup. That is if Bynum will except a 1 year deal where I think if anyone gives him more than that then they are idiots.

Best Friends 4-Life!!!

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast