We have a Trade Rumors thread...with the summer beginning, I thought we could use a thread devoted to potential Free Agent targets.
The Cavs have a lot of room under the cap that they could use to accomplish Daniel Gilbert's goal of reaching the playoffs this season. Considering the new/old coach...which free agents will we look towards?
The "Top 20 Free Agents" are listed below (from the Detroit Free Press).
1. Chris Paul - not coming to Cleveland.
2. Dwight Howard - not coming to Cleveland
3. Andre Iguodala - would be interested, but would drastically alter the summer of 2014 plans (still don't believe that LeBron is coming back...I would hate to miss out on Iggy AND LBJ)...Iggy is a scorer and solid defender that would fit in well with Mike Brown. Can he play SF for solid portions of games?
4. Josh Smith - no interest in pursuing him
5. David West - not getting any younger (32), plays a position that we are/could be deep, most likely going back to Indy
6. Paul Milsap - intriguing, but doubtful for Cleveland...TT is younger, better rebounder...Milsap may be better scorer, but he doesn't play a position that we NEED to upgrade.
7. Al Jefferson - again...intriguing, but I don't see him winding up here...more likely to stay in Utah
8. Jeff Teague - looking for starting gig, not going to come here to be Kyrie's back-up.
9. Brandon Jennings - not coming to Cleveland...already have Kyrie
10. Nikola Pekovic - would LOVE to have him in Cleveland for the right price, however Minnesota can match offer, so we would have to overpay...but signing him would allow us to go after the BPA in the draft.
11. Andrew Bynum - NO...NO....and NO
12. OJ Mayo - not likely for Cleveland...wish he were a little taller and could play the SF position, but he isn't and won't be coming here
13. Kevin Martin - I wouldn't mind taking a look at him, may command more money than we should spend on him, but he is definite upgrade over Alonzo Gee (if he can slide over from SG to SF).
14. Tony Allen - solid defender, will command more than we should spend on, essentially, a defender
15 - JJ Redick - could be a solid 6th man type, not great in any one area, but solid in most
16 - Manu Ginobli - would be SHOCKED to see him leave San Antonio, and his best basketball is behind him
17 - Monta Ellis - can flat out shoot, but he won't be on our radar with Kyrie
18 - Corey Brewer - averaged 2 more points than Alonzo Gee in fewer minutes...would be interested to see how much he will command on the open market...bigger than Gee and a better scorer while not losing out on defense.
19 - Tyreke Evans - not a position of need, someone will give him starter money, and it won't be Cleveland
20 - Nate Robinson - interesting, but his '12-13 season will convince someone to give him starter money...would be VERY nice to have off the bench.
Our own free agents
Daniel Gibson - time for a change for Boobie
Omri Casspi - hopefully his time in Cleveland will bring us SOMETHING before 2017 2nd rounder, but he won't be back...more likely to wind up overseas
Luke Walton - not a bad bench presence, woulnd't mind him for cheap
Wayne Ellington - should give him a qualifying offer...did nothing to sway me away from having him on our bench
Shaun Livingston - solid back-up PG (as long as he is healthy)...would love to have him back if he doesn't want too much $$$
CJ Miles - would be cheap to bring back, will depend on what else we do in free agency.
Marreese Speights - if he is willing to take his option, would be interested, otherwise, he will likely price himself out of Cleveland (started strong here after the trade, but tapered off as the season went along).
Needs in order of importance (at least mine)
1. upgrade the SF position
2. depth down low
3. back-up PG (either re-sign Livingston, draft, or bring in someone via free agency)
4. overall bench depth and/or winning experience
Could we realistically end up with 2 of the Top 20?