Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Gasol returns...will be a fascilator in D'Antoni's offense

Pau Gasol could see more facilitating, less scoring when he returns

December 17th, 2012, 5:56 pm · · posted by JANIS CARR, OCREGISTER.COM

Pau Gasol could return to the court as soon as Tuesday when the Lakers face the Charlotte Bobcats. But what will his role be when he does take the floor?

Before sitting out the past eight games because of tendinitis, Gasol was struggling to keep pace on his achy knees in Mike D’Antoni’s uptempo offense. His minutes, points and rebounds dwindled as he found himself on the bench late in games and there was talk of him coming off the bench.

D’Antoni has been steadfast in his desire to see Steve Nash and Gasol together on the floor before making any changes. The Lakers coach didn’t waver from his position last week when he said that moving Gasol would be a “last resort kind of desperate (move)” or Monday when he called him one of the “most skilled players in the league.”

“We play a certain type of basketball,” D’Antoni said. “We’ll try to get to guys strengths and figure those out, but basically he’s going to be good in what we do, I know that.”

But that doesn’t translate into more touches in the post.

“Everybody wants everybody in the post. We can’t put 15 guys there in the post. We can’t do it. It doesn’t work. Because if you’re posting him, that means you’re not posting Dwight Howard. Then you get criticized for not posting Dwight.

“We play Laker basketball. That ball is shared, that ball moves, we’ll score in the first 16 seconds, then after that we’ll post people up, we’ll get people in their right spots to finish off a shot. It’s a little crazy about some of the stuff that’s being said. But other than that, we’re good. We’re moving forward, he (Gasol) is good at what he’s good at, and we’ll exploit it.”

Gasol didn’t seem to mind if he has to be the team’s facilitator when he returns.

“As long as we win, as long as it works, I’m OK with everything,” he said. “When it doesn’t translate to wins, or the team is struggling, then I’m not that OK with it. But we’ll see. We’re still learning things here and there.”

http://lakers.ocregister.com/2012/12...returns/75223/
    ...A Dynasty A Cometh... 1225

vCash
    Crooner trolling this thread in 3..2..1...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron24th View Post
    Crooner trolling this thread in 3..2..1...
    Doubt it. Croon knows pau well. He knows one of pau's biggest strengths is passing.

vCash
    ^ yes but i also know people is going to bash him if he averaves 12 ppg 11 rpg and 6 apg.

And having him being only a facilitator isnt going to do us any good on the W column either.

mitch should stop wasting time and trade him already, dantoni want his head so the sooner the better.

Id rather ahve mitch chop dantonis head and birng someone who knows what the **** he is doing like sloan or l brown tough.

vCash
    ie. "I don't know what the **** to do with this guy, and this team."

vCash
    D'antoni is an idiot. Is it just me, or are all of his interviews just annoying? It seems like he has no clue how to coach this team.

vCash
    Pau will get his once Nash gets back

vCash
    Perhaps the only coach who STRONGLY needs specific players to make his dumb system work. Pathetic.

Free As Seagull.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellcrooner View Post
    ^ yes but i also know people is going to bash him if he averaves 12 ppg 11 rpg and 6 apg.

And having him being only a facilitator isnt going to do us any good on the W column either.

mitch should stop wasting time and trade him already, dantoni want his head so the sooner the better.

Id rather ahve mitch chop dantonis head and birng someone who knows what the **** he is doing like sloan or l brown tough.
    If we're winning and he's putting up those numbers, I'd be ecstatic. Not many people average those kind of numbers. I do think he'll average more points than 12 though when Nash gets back.

My expectations... 16 10 and 4... Kobe's numbers need to drop and Howard's stay relatively the same. Everybody's numbers need to be lower for us to have a chance. Can't just be about one guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GetShrutedOn View Post
    D'antoni is an idiot. Is it just me, or are all of his interviews just annoying? It seems like he has no clue how to coach this team.
    concurred

vCash
    Pau's coming back from a 2 1/2 wk absence. He's not going to demand the ball in the post right when he comes back. It's going to take a few games before the team goes to him.

And plus, this is the plan of attack for the Lakers offense.

First 14-16 seconds of the shot clock, they let Nash do his thing and move the ball around the perimeter, and if they don't get anything from it, then those last 8-10 seconds are reserved to throw the ball into Pau in the post and have him going to work, whether that's shooting it for himself, or finding an open shooter or cutter to the basket.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shep33 View Post
    If we're winning and he's putting up those numbers, I'd be ecstatic. Not many people average those kind of numbers. I do think he'll average more points than 12 though when Nash gets back.

My expectations... 16 10 and 4... Kobe's numbers need to drop and Howard's stay relatively the same. Everybody's numbers need to be lower for us to have a chance. Can't just be about one guy
    Good luck with that.

Wich is sad because we are not getting any rings unless he is scoring less than 22 ppg.

vCash
    Kobe said Lakers are going to run a lot of post-ups for Pau...D'Antoni says Pau is going to be a facilitator...

Am I missing something?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LakersMaster24 View Post
    Kobe said Lakers are going to run a lot of post-ups for Pau...D'Antoni says Pau is going to be a facilitator...

Am I missing something?
    Actually, what Kobe said was that the first 14-16 seconds of the shot clock, they're going to be moving the ball around the perimeter to find an open shot or open lane to the basket. IF they can't get a solid shot attempt in that time, they'll go to Pau in the post for the last 8-10 seconds of the shot clock.

So Pau will be Option B while the Nash/D'Antoni/KobeIso (basically everyone else move the ball around the perimeter for open shot) offense is Option A.

vCash
    It all sounds fine...but when I read this --

That ball is shared, that ball moves, we’ll score in the first 16 seconds, then after that we’ll post people up, we’ll get people in their right spots to finish off a shot.
    -- my Kobe brain translates it into this:

"Okay, all I need to do is gun before the sixteen-second mark and I'm golden."

And of course it's not just Kobe. If I'm Meeks or Duhon or Morris or even Metta I'm bombing away so I don't have to throw the ball into those high-efficiency post players.

If it wasn't for Nash coming back an driving the train I'd pretty much write off the entire season. He really is the one guy who can make on-the-fly decisions about who's open and who's not. And he can almost make sure that everybody gets touches -- not just to salve egos, but to make it harder for the other team to defend against us.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast