Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Week 14: vs ATL

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    I don't think he was talking about the 70 yard run. I'm pretty sure he's talking about the play where he threw a DT off of him and then ran for 20 yards. Craziest QB run I've ever seen in the NFL.
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaFan87 View Post
    You obviously didn't see the play judging by the video you linked. Everyone here would agree RG3 has more straight line speed than Newton however Newton has the type of power RG3 can only dream about. RG3 better be more careful with his body since he is smaller than Newton and he can't take hits like Cam can. Newton is worlds better at not taking unnecessary hits and if RG3 doesn't wise up he will become injury prone just like Mike Vick.
    I thought he was talking about the long run, my bad. The run when he escaped the sack and picked up the first down was nuts.

vCash
    It's games like these that make a fan feel like **** for knowing we could be 9-4 or so if the coaching had been better this season. I don't know what it is, but it seems like Cam gets better in December (pulled off a string of wins in December last year).
    Better coaching and better execution, yeah. Really, honestly, can't put it all on the coaches.

I'm with homestarr though. I'd rather see us get a difference maker, rather than possibly reaching. We're probably out of the Star sweepstakes again, but we can still get Hankerson if we don't win any more games. We're currently tied for 8th with several teams, but if we finish 6-10 we'd probably be around the 10th pick, which would suck.

The three players I'm most interested in this draft are Star, Hankins, and Joeckel. It's looking like they might all go in the top 5. I honestly wouldn't be opposed to us trading up for Joeckel if it came to that.
    There's some great talent in the top 5. There may be some great talent in the top 10 and the top 15. I'm not going to get too excited until the combine -- not because the combine is the be-all-end-all, but because a lot can happen between now and then, as colleges go through the playoff/bowl season, etc. It's more important that we hit on our 1st and 2nd round picks (NT and OT) than getting a top 5 pick, imo. If we end up with a top 5 pick, so be it, but I'd like to see us win as many games as we can this year. It will do a lot for trying to keep the players we have together and trying to get them to renegotiate their insane contracts.

vCash
    I love Cam so much

vCash
    Chud's playcalling has been a lot better over the past two weeks. He's doing a better job of finding advantageous opportunities to run read option plays instead of leaning on them to fuel the running game. I almost feel like previously he was experimenting with how much he could run the read option, and it failed miserably as a staple play. I also feel like we play better when we let one RB get into a rhythm. When Stewart gets back, we need to give both RBs like 2-3 dedicated series at a time where they don't come off the field until they're absolutely winded.

vCash
    I'm extremely confused with my feelings towards the coaching staff. Threeish weeks ago I was ready to crucify all of them, but based on how things are going right now I don't know who should go and who should stay. I'm sure the GM will be the one to make the decision regardless, but I'm so confused haha.

I'd hate to see all of the coaches be retained then see the same story unfold next season, but I also would hate to see the entire team take another step back from learning new systems.

I say if Rivera finishes 6-10 and doesn't screw up drastically over the last three games he'll have a chance to stay coach.

vCash
    I'm extremely confused with my feelings towards the coaching staff. Threeish weeks ago I was ready to crucify all of them, but based on how things are going right now I don't know who should go and who should stay. I'm sure the GM will be the one to make the decision regardless, but I'm so confused haha.

I'd hate to see all of the coaches be retained then see the same story unfold next season, but I also would hate to see the entire team take another step back from learning new systems.

I say if Rivera finishes 6-10 and doesn't screw up drastically over the last three games he'll have a chance to stay coach.
    I think Rivera is done for. This team lost to the freaking Chiefs. Let that sink in. Yes, we beat the Falcons, but did they have much of a reason to get up for this game other than it being a divisional rivalry? Not really. Not to mention, the Falcons always start choking around this time of year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    I think Rivera is done for. This team lost to the freaking Chiefs. Let that sink in. Yes, we beat the Falcons, but did they have much of a reason to get up for this game other than it being a divisional rivalry? Not really. Not to mention, the Falcons always start choking around this time of year.
    Yeah, you're probably right. Rivera has shown he doesn't have what it takes to win close games, so only some crazy comeback wins will save him now. As bad as he's been this season, I'd still love to retain Chud. When he calls proper plays our offense is as good as any other. I don't care if we lose RR or McDermott though.

vCash
    McDermott is still a better coach than Chud. No way you can criticize his lack of blitzes either, considering how much he blitzed the Falcons yesterday. The guy can coach up a defense, but he can't help the piss poor talent he's been left with at some positions.

vCash
    I think it will take a 6-10 or better finish AND finishing 3-3 in the division for the coaching staff to stay. And if they pull that off, I think they should be retained. This is a young team and a young coaching staff. If you didn't expect growing pains, you were kidding yourself. I mean, keep in my what they've really achieved.

2010: 2-14
    2011: Rookie head coach, rookie QB, (almost) entirely new coaching staff, weak draft class (Newton and Pilares the exceptions), lots of injuries, 6-10 record
    2012: Second year together as a team in this system, tons of young starters, lots of injuries, 4-9 record so far

One illustration of why Rivera might not be as bad a coach as we think: second- and third-string players are STEPPING UP to the occasion when called upon. Guys like Greg Hardy, who many fans had written off, have STEPPED UP and grown as players. He's getting results from Kuechly, Silatolu, Alexander, Norman, and Nortman, and even Adams and Campbell are playing now. It's not perfect, but these guys are playing well above where I could have expected them to be playing at this point.

This team is really starting to come together. Sure, we thought we saw it last year, but who did we really beat last year? Houston had a great defense, but were on their third-string rookie QB. I think expectations coming into this year were overstated. I admittedly did not think so during the preseason, but if you look at how young this team is, I can't say I'm surprised that things are just coming together now.

You can try to downplay it, but beating the Saints earlier this year, even if they were in turmoil, and beating the Falcons on Sunday were two huge wins. You can claim that Atlanta had nothing to play for, but they were playing their starters and do you really think they were okay with being embarrassed by division rivals? We could have come out and played down to the Falcons' level like we did against the Chiefs, but we didn't; we came out and played a solid game of football, elevating our own play.

Things haven't been anywhere near good, let alone perfect, but I wouldn't be surprised if this win gives us the confidence and momentum to go on another late-season run.

As for the RB situation when both guys are healthy, I think you're absolutely right about getting them into a rhythm. I'm not sure whether that rhythm has to mutually exclusive or not, as they did a great job splitting carries a few years ago. I think they just need to have the right play calls for each of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    McDermott is still a better coach than Chud. No way you can criticize his lack of blitzes either, considering how much he blitzed the Falcons yesterday. The guy can coach up a defense, but he can't help the piss poor talent he's been left with at some positions.
    Yeah, but look at how effective the blitzes were yesterday. This is the first game that he's blitzed more than five times (might be over-exaggerating, but I don't believe I am). I don't want a blitz-happy Rex Ryan defense, but the blitzes were definitely effective yesterday.

The reason I don't like McDermott is how he drops to a soft-zone defense once we have any sign of winning the game. Once we went to playing that kind of defense the Falcons got their first score. If it weren't for TD getting that pick the Falcons might've came back. I was truly expecting us to lose that game once ATL pulled within 10 (and IMO that 2-point conversion should've been ruled in).

Honestly, if we win out the season, I'll have no problem with the current staff staying, as long as they realize they're on a short leash. If they finished with a second 6-10 record that would put them a 12-4 season away from being even just three years removed from 2-14.

But the coaching staff needs to look flawless in these last three games for that to happen. I'd like to at least see Rivera in position to lose a game, but win it. I'd also like to see Chud call good plays during that span, and McDermott play a non-prevent defense with a lead.

vCash
    Honestly, if we win out the season, I'll have no problem with the current staff staying, as long as they realize they're on a short leash. ... But the coaching staff needs to look flawless in these last three games for that to happen.
    This.

I'd like to at least see Rivera in position to lose a game, but win it. I'd also like to see Chud call good plays during that span, and McDermott play a non-prevent defense with a lead.
    I don't care how we win, honestly. Those situations would all raise my confidence in the coaching staff, but if we can jump out to big leads and keep pouring the points on, I'll be even more thrilled with that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12