Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
    vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Starks View Post
    This article pretty much sums Lin up in a nutshell. Really the only rebuttal you can make is "give him some time."

Jeremy Lin: Rockets Guard's Inconsistency Proves He Was Overhyped from the StartBy Ryan Rudnansky
    Greg Smith-USA TODAY

Sports Kevin McHale's decision to bench Jeremy Lin on Saturday and give him limited minutes on Monday proves that the 24-year-old point guard was overhyped from the start.

Flash back to Lin's emergence with the New York Knicks last season. Despite going undrafted in 2010 and being a benchwarmer, the Knicks gave Lin a shot in 2011, and he responded in spades.

The dynamic Harvard graduate averaged 18.7 points, 7.7 assists. 3.7 rebounds and 2.0 steals in 25 starts as the Knicks made a push into the playoffs. He also shot 45 percent from the field. Given he was a young, exciting player playing in New York City, it was inevitable he would explode across the front page of publications everywhere.

Flash-forward to the present time. After going 3-of-12 from the floor and committing three turnovers on Saturday against the Minnesota Timberwolves, Lin was benched by McHale in favor of...wait for it...rookie Patrick Beverly, who finished with two points on 1-of-5 shooting.

It's pretty obvious by now that Lin is turnover-prone (he's averaged 3.0 turnovers this season after registering 3.6 turnovers per game last season), but that didn't matter as much in New York because he was playing at such a high level.

But Lin's inconsistency is maddening this season and McHale had obviously had enough on Saturday. This is the same Jeremy Lin who scored 19 points just two games before the benching.

Yet, Lin's offensive troubles (42 percent shooting, 28 percent from downtown) are the least of Houston's worries. It's his defense that needs the most work.

And while PER is not always the greatest indicator of a player's impact on a team, Lin's PER this season does exemplify how his defense (or lack thereof) hurts the Rockets. He has a PER of 13.66 this season, which ranks third-to-last among points guards averaging at least 30 minutes per game (via HoopData.com). He only bests Luke Ridnour and second-year pro Brandon Knight using that criteria.

While Lin is not the only reason Houston is allowing opponents to shoot 45.9 percent from the floor, he is one of the reasons. FYI: None other than Ridnour scored 16 points on 6-of-13 shooting during Lin's benching on Saturday.

And if you are looking for how many wins Lin approximately contributes to his team over a full season, his win score is marginally better than his PER, but he still ranks in the lower half of point guards playing at least 30 minutes per game (via Hoopdata.com).

So, despite some of the highlights Lin has produced throughout his early career, at this point he's a marginal starter in the NBA. McHale understands that.
    Uh, you do realize that this article is ...

1) An opinion piece
    2) A Link from BLEACHER REPORT http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...from-the-start
    3) Written by a columnist with ZERO basketball experience?

Ryan Rudnansky

Born and raised in the lovely little town of Santa Rosa, Calif., Ryan went to San Diego State for college once his wings grew out. He entered the school when administration was making a concerted effort to shed its image of Playboy's Top 10 Party Schools. Ryan would like to thank SDSU for restricting students from hauling kegs up dorm stairways-if that had continued he surely would still be in school.

Ryan went on to graduate with a B.A. in journalism. He's worked for the Healdsburg Tribune and Windsor Times in California, freelanced for the San Francisco Chronicle, wrote music reviews for OregonMusicNews.com while he was in Portland, and appeared in an increasing amount of sports blogs.

Ryan joined Bleacher Report in hopes that journalism is still alive and well (in some form or another), and find a place to interact with readers in a positive, constructive manner. Ryan hopes everyone likes his articles and they find him to be an intelligent, witty young man...with a quill of gold.
    http://bleacherreport.com/users/339745-ryan-rudnansky

Might as well link articles from PSD forums and argue that those are definite proof of the validity of an opinion.

If you're going to cite someone's opinion as evidence that your opinion is correct, it might be more meaningful to cite someone with actual industry credibility, for example, someone like a Hall of Famer?

Oh wait, Here's one...

http://www.ysr1560.com/sean-penderga...is-hands-8202/

Granato: What happened from that time where Jeremy Lin was getting it to right now?

The problem I feel that Jeremy Lin is having when he's on the floor with James Harden, who of course is a hell of a player in his own right... Jeremy Lin is a point guard and the point guard has got to have the ball. Well, what you're having in this stretch is I believe too much monopolizing on the part of James Harden controlling the ball, where it's putting Jeremy Lin in the position of the two-guard, and that's not what he plays. Jeremy Lin is at his best when he is the orchestrator of the offense, and as of late it hasn't happened.

Pendergast: Calvin, is Jeremy just too passive from that standpoint?

It's not about (Jeremy) being too passive. It's about whoever is calling the shots for the team, and that would be Kevin McHale, making it known that Jeremy has got to have the ball in his hands.

Granato: If you take it out of James Harden's hands, that's the guy that you're building the franchise around, is he going to be able to be as effective?

He's a two-guard. What does a two-guard do? He finishes the play. I played both positions when I was in the pros. I was a point guard when I first came in (and) I moved over to the two-guard, so he's the finisher. What he's got to do is be able to finish without having the ball in his hands for eight seconds.
    Yah, I think I'll take the opinion of THIS guy over Your guy...

Calvin J. Murphy (born May 9, 1948) is a retired American professional basketball player who played as a guard for the NBA's San Diego/Houston Rockets from 1970-1983. He is a former member of the Houston Rockets' broadcast team. He was also the host of ESPN Radio's The Calvin Murphy Show. Standing at a height of 5 feet 9 inches (1.75 m), Murphy has the distinction of being the shortest NBA player inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame.

NBA All-Star (1979)
    NBA All-Rookie First Team (1971)
    J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship Award (1979)
    2 Consensus NCAA All-American First Team (19691970)
    Consensus NCAA All-American Second Team (1968)
    #23 Retired by the Houston Rockets
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_Murphy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Verbal Christ View Post
    dragic was offered a contract. he turned it down for a similar contract in phoenix.

lowry was a nuisance. clashing with the coach and making stupid comments. he got the ax. he's doing great in toronto isnt he?

geez.
    What are u gee zing about?
    Lowry has played well when healthy and he's way bettter than Lin.
    Angels:
    Lakers:
    Rams:ray:
    OSU Beavers (Baseball):

vCash
    EVERY SINGLE PLAYER on the Rockets, except for Harden, has been inconsistent. It's part of being young and inexperienced. as a matter of fact, EVERY rookie (which is what Lin essentially is), except for Lillard who's probably going to win ROY, has been inconsistent. but for some reason, no one else gets criticized for it except for Lin. why is that?
    Last edited by FOBolous; 01-26-2013 at 09:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post
    1. Thunder
    2. Warriors
    3. Clippers
    4. Blazers
    5. Grizzlies

I already have that scrizzguap on the Dubs winning a 'ship.
    Sincerely,
    delusional Warriors fan

Quote Originally Posted by COOLbeans View Post
    What do you do for a living because I guarantee it's not in academics or psychology?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fresh prince View Post
    What are u gee zing about?
    Lowry has played well when healthy and he's way bettter than Lin.
    wth are you talking about? Lowry's way better than Lin? they're averaging pretty much the same #s...except Lowry is averaging one less TO while Lin is averaging one more assist and one more steal. if you're referring to the random good game Lowry would have, fyi...Lin had good games too.

again...Lin has been inconsistent but he's hardly the "worse signing ever." atm...he's playing like an average PG and the amount of money he's making ($7 mil/yr) as an average PG is...well...average.
    Last edited by FOBolous; 01-26-2013 at 09:18 AM.
    1. Thunder
    2. Warriors
    3. Clippers
    4. Blazers
    5. Grizzlies

I already have that scrizzguap on the Dubs winning a 'ship.
    Sincerely,
    delusional Warriors fan

Quote Originally Posted by COOLbeans View Post
    What do you do for a living because I guarantee it's not in academics or psychology?

vCash
    If I ever invent time travel, my first act will be to track down and assassinate SteveNash to prevent this thread from ever getting made. Hitler will have to wait.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    If I ever invent time travel, my first act will be to track down and assassinate SteveNash to prevent this thread from ever getting made. Hitler will have to wait.
    lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    ray:
    when they forget what Kevin Long saids

I follow rules and appreciate the ignore button

vCash
    Where are those people who laughed at me when I said Lin was better than Joe Johnson

Lin is leading Johnson in PER, fg%, rebounding, assists, steals, and blocks....

Not so funny anymore is it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alexander_37 View Post
    Where are those people who laughed at me when I said Lin was better than Joe Johnson

Lin is leading Johnson in PER, fg%, rebounding, assists, steals, and blocks....

Not so funny anymore is it?
    why did you have to bring this thread back. It never ends well for ether side.

vCash
    Lin tonight 2/20/12 vs. OKC: 29 points, 8 assists, 6 rebounds and 2 steals. Shot 12/22 FG and 2/3 FT, with only 3 turn overs in 42 minutes as his backup toney douglas was traded tonight

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsBullsBucs View Post
    Lin tonight 2/20/12 vs. OKC: 29 points, 8 assists, 6 rebounds and 2 steals. Shot 12/22 FG and 2/3 FT, with only 3 turn overs in 42 minutes as his backup toney douglas was traded tonight

vCash
    I hope he can get on a roll. He is too inconsistent.

TANKRONTO TANKTORS

vCash
    Lin has gotten so much better as the season progressed that it's not even funny. He's learning how to play without the ball in his hands all the time, he's not dribbling into traffic and making mistakes as much and (most importantly) he's learning to hit set perimeter shots without dribbling. He and Harden are thriving together and Lin has been a big part of why the Rockets have played so well as of late.

vCash
    Will this thread get bumped every time Lin has a good game? He is an average PG at best... almost every team in the NBA has a very good young PG, time to move on. I don't see threads for Irving, Westbrook, Holiday, Curry, Lillard, Jennings etc etc every time the score 20+ points.
    Last edited by BBallfan8; 02-20-2013 at 11:06 PM.

Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast