Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by torocan View Post
    He stayed on the bench because by the time he would normally get subbed in (9-6 mins of the 4th), the Rockets were already 20 points down against Denver.

Unfortunately, McHale is an idiot and STILL played Harden for 39 minutes until the last 1:30...
    so pretty sure that's not the reason he was benched then. they were trying to make a comeback and Lin wasn't helping matters.

vCash
    The guy's knees buckle every drive down the lane. He can't finish over anyone. He and Chandler Parsons are too soft to be starters at their posistions,put them both on the "ALL BIRDCHEST TEAM"- If Kevin Durrant, Lin and Parsons had a bench press contest, my money is on KD!

vCash
    People don't understand the signing of Lin was due to increase in merchandise sales and fan base. The sales of merchandise and revenue is much more than what Lin is paid.

vCash
    zombie thread is back! shoot it in the head this time!

"If I had to pick a center [for an all-time best team], I would take Olajuwon. That leaves out Shaq, Patrick Ewing. It leaves out Wilt Chamberlain. It leaves out a lot of people. And the reason I would take Olajuwon is very simple: he is so versatile. It's not just his scoring, not just his rebounding or not just his blocked shots. He was in the top seven in steals. He always made great decisions on the court. For all facets of the game, I have to give it to him." -Michael Jordan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OceanSpray View Post
    People don't understand the signing of Lin was due to increase in merchandise sales and fan base. The sales of merchandise and revenue is much more than what Lin is paid.
    yeah, especially with houston, who still might have a significant following from fans in China. Yao Ming wasn't THAT long ago. The game misses Yao. Anyways yeah marketing had a lot to do with it.... and it's not like Lin is a bad player. He's not worth what he's getting paid, but there have been worse players that have signed for more money. This is far from the dumbest FA signing of all time. What a joke thread by the OP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OceanSpray View Post
    People still don't understand that teams only keep the revenue from merchandise sold IN their stadiums. The revenue generated from sales anyplace else (online, china, etc) are split evenly among all teams.

Example: If Lin jerseys generate $30 million in Asia. The Rockets see $1 million.

He's had no impact on their attendance numbers so he's not generating extra income at the box office.

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance

It was a reach and a gamble for a franchise that's been reaching and gambling. It might pay off, but it probably won't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Verbal Christ View Post
    True and

vCash
    um even if lin tore his acl and never played again he wouldn't qualify for the "worst signing ever"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Verbal Christ View Post

vCash
    Is this thread really this long? Most of you sound like bitter 8 year old girls. He's a basketball player, for most of you, who plays on a team that isn't from your town. I am a huge NBA fan and enjoy other teams other than mine... but really? This is like a thread for who hates this guy the most. OK we got it... you think he gets paid too much, hasn't reached your expectations as point guard, bla bla bla... Do yourself a favor when making your argument... don't sound like your "man crush" dumped you at recess.

I am not arguing he is the best or even in the top 30 best point guards in the league. Guess what... who cares? The Rockets are not winning a championship this year so please stop... It matters that he develops on this team that has no scoring center and no real PF to throw it into the paint on a regular basis. It is going to take time and Rockets fans are cool with actually putting a team together than teams with negative 25 million in salary cap space. So I totally understand that people don't like him and that is fine... but this thread is on page 38. Beyond silly... But please continue... I'm sure there are more ways to say you don't like the guy!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by unclemomo View Post
    The guy's knees buckle every drive down the lane. He can't finish over anyone. He and Chandler Parsons are too soft to be starters at their posistions,put them both on the "ALL BIRDCHEST TEAM"- If Kevin Durrant, Lin and Parsons had a bench press contest, my money is on KD!
    no man, i bet you Lin would beat both of them HAHAHAHAHAHA
    [IMG][/IMG]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by texanmonstra011 View Post
    yeah, especially with houston, who still might have a significant following from fans in China. Yao Ming wasn't THAT long ago. The game misses Yao. Anyways yeah marketing had a lot to do with it.... and it's not like Lin is a bad player. He's not worth what he's getting paid, but there have been worse players that have signed for more money. This is far from the dumbest FA signing of all time. What a joke thread by the OP
    I think the OP's original point was valid. The Rockets had not one but two better options at PG in Dragic and Lowry that they let walk only to sign Lin who is the worst player of the three.

That along with the high dollar amount is what makes the Lin signing look pretty stupid.
    Angels:
    Lakers:
    Rams:ray:
    OSU Beavers (Baseball):

vCash
    This article pretty much sums Lin up in a nutshell. Really the only rebuttal you can make is "give him some time."

Jeremy Lin: Rockets Guard's Inconsistency Proves He Was Overhyped from the StartBy Ryan Rudnansky
    Greg Smith-USA TODAY

Sports Kevin McHale's decision to bench Jeremy Lin on Saturday and give him limited minutes on Monday proves that the 24-year-old point guard was overhyped from the start.

Flash back to Lin's emergence with the New York Knicks last season. Despite going undrafted in 2010 and being a benchwarmer, the Knicks gave Lin a shot in 2011, and he responded in spades.

The dynamic Harvard graduate averaged 18.7 points, 7.7 assists. 3.7 rebounds and 2.0 steals in 25 starts as the Knicks made a push into the playoffs. He also shot 45 percent from the field. Given he was a young, exciting player playing in New York City, it was inevitable he would explode across the front page of publications everywhere.

Flash-forward to the present time. After going 3-of-12 from the floor and committing three turnovers on Saturday against the Minnesota Timberwolves, Lin was benched by McHale in favor of...wait for it...rookie Patrick Beverly, who finished with two points on 1-of-5 shooting.

It's pretty obvious by now that Lin is turnover-prone (he's averaged 3.0 turnovers this season after registering 3.6 turnovers per game last season), but that didn't matter as much in New York because he was playing at such a high level.

But Lin's inconsistency is maddening this season and McHale had obviously had enough on Saturday. This is the same Jeremy Lin who scored 19 points just two games before the benching.

Yet, Lin's offensive troubles (42 percent shooting, 28 percent from downtown) are the least of Houston's worries. It's his defense that needs the most work.

And while PER is not always the greatest indicator of a player's impact on a team, Lin's PER this season does exemplify how his defense (or lack thereof) hurts the Rockets. He has a PER of 13.66 this season, which ranks third-to-last among points guards averaging at least 30 minutes per game (via HoopData.com). He only bests Luke Ridnour and second-year pro Brandon Knight using that criteria.

While Lin is not the only reason Houston is allowing opponents to shoot 45.9 percent from the floor, he is one of the reasons. FYI: None other than Ridnour scored 16 points on 6-of-13 shooting during Lin's benching on Saturday.

And if you are looking for how many wins Lin approximately contributes to his team over a full season, his win score is marginally better than his PER, but he still ranks in the lower half of point guards playing at least 30 minutes per game (via Hoopdata.com).

So, despite some of the highlights Lin has produced throughout his early career, at this point he's a marginal starter in the NBA. McHale understands that.

BRIA MYLES.....SWAG!

vCash
    Jerome James and Eddy Curry were worse signings for the Knicks...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fresh prince View Post
    I think the OP's original point was valid. The Rockets had not one but two better options at PG in Dragic and Lowry that they let walk only to sign Lin who is the worst player of the three.

That along with the high dollar amount is what makes the Lin signing look pretty stupid.

dragic was offered a contract. he turned it down for a similar contract in phoenix.

lowry was a nuisance. clashing with the coach and making stupid comments. he got the ax. he's doing great in toronto isnt he?

geez.

"If I had to pick a center [for an all-time best team], I would take Olajuwon. That leaves out Shaq, Patrick Ewing. It leaves out Wilt Chamberlain. It leaves out a lot of people. And the reason I would take Olajuwon is very simple: he is so versatile. It's not just his scoring, not just his rebounding or not just his blocked shots. He was in the top seven in steals. He always made great decisions on the court. For all facets of the game, I have to give it to him." -Michael Jordan

Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast