Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash

Which free agent will have the biggest impact on the NBA landscape this offseason?

There are a number of free agents hitting the marker: LBJ, Wade, Bosh, Melo, Tm Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki all have early termination options.

Unrestricted free agents who could have a huge impact include: P. Gasol, Gortat, Z-Bo, Deng, Shawn Marion, Paul Pierce, Kyle Lowry, Lance Stpehenson, Spencer Haawes, Ray Allen, Trevor Ariza, Vince Carter, Andray Blatche (ET), Chris Kaman, Kris Humphires, Jordan Hill.

And there are a host of restricted free agents (see here for a comprehensive list: http://hoopshype.com/free_agency_2014.htm

It is likely that those with early termination options will stay with their current teams (unless something drastic happens in Miami, in which case everything would be up in the air). But assuming that Melo is the only franchise level player who leaves, which of the remaining players is most likely to change the NBA landscape?

My vote goes with Gasol. He still seems to be playing at a high level, and on a contender like Miami or OKC, he would have the burden of a heavy scoring load lifted, but give such teams a HUGE weapon in the post that can rebound well and has championship experience, and given his age, it is unlikely that many teams would offer him a long term deal with a significant annual salary.

Gortat will likely earn a big pay day and stay with Washington, but if he should bolt, he could have a big impact on who wins next year depending on his location

Thoughts?
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    We already know The big 3 are gonna stay in tact in Miami.

Biggest move will be Melo leaving the sinking ship that is the Knicks and join Kobe in LA.

Melo has absolutely no one to partner up with in NY.

Melo can make the Lakers,
    Depending on their other moves and lotto pick, a top 4 seed out West.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by P&GRealist View Post
    We already know The big 3 are gonna stay in tact in Miami.

Biggest move will be Melo leaving the sinking ship that is the Knicks and join Kobe in LA.

Melo has absolutely no one to partner up with in NY.

Melo can make the Lakers,
    Depending on their other moves and lotto pick, a top 4 seed out West.
    I would love it if the Lakers signed Melo. It would all but kill their chances at Love the next year.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    I think Wade and Lebron are staying put.

Assuming they do^ and assuming Dirk and Tim stay in Texas, The biggest difference makers are going to be;

1. Bosh. I have no idea where his head is at, if he wants to win he might negotiate for a little less and stay in Miami, if he wants to get paid and be the top guy he might head elsewhere. Assuming Wade and Lebron stay in Miami, Bosh is the best free agent on the market (in terms of individual talent) people forget how great he is due to him being the 3rd guy on that big 3.

2. Kyle Lowry. He's been a stud this year, as well rounded as he is, he could be the difference maker for a fringe contender that has a star or two but needs another supporting cast member to solidify their back court.

3. Melo. Like Bosh, I don't know where his head is, unlike Bosh, I think Melo is too proud and immature to play second fiddle to anyone, he wants to be the number one guy, so my money is on him staying in New York. Fact of the matter is, if he was smart, he would swallow his pride, take less money and go somewhere that will let him be the Beta star. If he moves out West, that could change the NBA landscape completely. There's not many other "stars" out East that are as marketable. If he goes to another Eastern conference team that already has a solid supporting cast in place, it could possibly improve parity within the league.

4. Marcin Gortat. John Wall is the man out in D.C but Gortat has helped a lot with their success this season, if he leaves and they don't find a suitable replacement, I fully expect them to miss the playoffs next year. He's almost averaging a double-double with 1.5 blocks per game. He's a high caliber big man, and they are few and far between in the league right now. Again, I think he could be the missing piece for a fringe contender, would love to see him in Dallas; Calderon - Ellis - Marion - Dirk - Gortat. Or even in OKC. It depends entirely on what he's wanting paid versus if he wants a ring.

5. Lance Stephenson. I doubt he leaves Indiana, but if he does, he could be the missing piece for a fringe contender, just like Lowry.
    Continue to believe Jackson is not the right man for this job. All I ask is that while you're at it, please demand Curry be traded as well. Because if the goal is to revert to the ways of Warriors teams past—building up something special and then destroying it immediately—we may as well go all out. No reason to half-*** it.
    Truth^

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jordan
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships".

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash
    I'm disinclined to consider Melo as a landscape changer. I see any team he signs with having the same problems winning as Denver and NY have had. If you are building around a SF, there are only two in the league worth building around: LBJ and KD.

Anybody else, unless you have an AMAZING team already in place, is not going to cut it.

You add Melo to the Bulls? All of a sudden their efficient scoring turns into inefficient scoring, and their team defense gets a huge hole added to it. I won't say Melo is too selfish, but the manner in which he scores demands that he control the ball. How are Noah and Rose going to have an impact is 1/3-1/4 of the possession are in Melo's hands?

LAL? Good luck trying to split the time with the ball between Kobe and Melo, and if they sign Melo, I don't think Gasol will stay, and we all know Kaman won't be staying. And coupled with that, I'd be surprised to see even Hill stay. That will leave the Lakers with a bunch of D-Leaguers in the front court, so unless they get a franchise player in the draft, I doubt if a Melo/Kobe duo is going to do any more than the Melo/Iverson duo.

I just don't see Melo making a contender better. He had his time, it has passed. If he was going to make it on a team as 'the man', it would have happened by now. Looking at a guy like Dirk, it was clear that he could play into his team early on, he just needed a defensive center that could rebound. Once he got that, they won. But Melo has had these things (specifically the SAME center Dirk had) and still has not won with them.

If I was a GM with a boat load of capspace, Melo is the LAST player I would sign. Unless I was Detroit. I might do a sign-and-trade if NY was willing to take on Smith or Jennings.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohnHorn View Post
    You add Melo to the Bulls? All of a sudden their efficient scoring turns into inefficient scoring, and their team defense gets a huge hole added to it. I won't say Melo is too selfish, but the manner in which he scores demands that he control the ball. How are Noah and Rose going to have an impact is 1/3-1/4 of the possession are in Melo's hands?
    lol what?? we're like the most inefficient scoring team in the league

vCash
    You add Melo to the Bulls? All of a sudden their efficient scoring turns into inefficient scoring, and their team defense gets a huge hole added to it.
    Lmao, you actually think that's how basketball works? Melo led the 3rd ranked offense last year in efficiency. Am I missing something - since when is Chicago known for their efficient scoring in the first place? That offense blows.

vCash
    The Bulls don't have an efficient offense so Melo is the perfect fit. The Bulls are 29th in offensive efficiency.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monta is beast View Post
    How do I think [Kevin] Love helps his team lose? Terrible defense, chucker, basically a of version if Monta

vCash
    I don't know how anybody who knows anything about basketball could possibly think that Carmelo Anthony would make the Bulls worse. The only reason the Bulls win these days is because of elite defense and coaching. Their offense is horrible.

Carmelo is the 2nd best pure scorer in the league behind KD. He's played with mediocre talent his entire career. You know when Carmelo was at his best? On the USA squad when he had talented players around him. If Melo were to go to Chicago, it would be the most structured, disciplined, team with the best coach and supporting cast he's ever played with.

Sure his defense isn't great, but neither is Boozer's. However, Chicago plays defense in a way that it would hide a lot of his defensive flaws.

I'm not exaggerating whenI say that literally the ONLY thing the Bulls are missing is a potent scorer. I couldn't think of another player outside of Carmelo that would fit better in the Bulls system than Carmelo.

Looking at How Chicago has thrived this year WITHOUT former MVP and top 10 player in the league Derrick Rose, just to think of returning the same core next year with a healthy Rose, Carmelo replacing Dunleavy, and possibly "Dirk Jr" Nikola Mirotec being added to the roster. I say with full confidence that they would be the best team in the league (regular season and postseason).

I guess it's one of those things where you can't be proven right until it actually happens, but if Carmelo were to join Chicago, I would go to Las Vegas and put a good amount of money on Chicago winning it all next year.

It would be the PERFECT team.

But that's just my opinion, a Bobcats/Hornets fan, and amateur analyst of the game of basketball.

Thanks for reading...

vCash
    Melo is a great player, but it takes huge basketball ignoramus to say Melo is the second best pure scorer in the NBA.

Sports fans are hilariously dumb sometimes to both extremes.
    How do I think [Kevin] Love helps his team lose? Terrible defense, chucker, basically a of version if Monta

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppyfighter View Post
    Melo is a great player, but it takes huge basketball ignoramus to say Melo is the second best pure scorer in the NBA.

I disagree. I think melo is the second best pure scorer in the nba, by a pretty wide margin as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jerellh528 View Post
    I disagree. I think melo is the second best pure scorer in the nba, by a pretty wide margin as well.
    Does "pure scorer" mean, "out of guys that don't play defense"? Because if it does and you're excluding Lebron James and Kevin Love, then I'd still put Durant and Stephen Curry ahead of Melo.

vCash
    Don't forget James Harden.

vCash
    A good read for me here.

Melo to Chicago regardless of what everyone else feels, I think would make Chicago a perennial 50 win team.

But, I don't think this changes the NBA landscape at all.

What changes the landscape is if an elite Western Conference player heads to the East and there is finally another team that can really hang with the Heat.

That is what would change the landscape. If there could be 3 or 4 solid contenders in the East, that would be landscape changing.

But I don't think we really have that free agent this season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppyfighter View Post

check the stats, watch the tape, learn the game. I'm not going to argue with you.

He's 2nd in the league in scoring, yet it takes a huge ignoramous to think he's the 2nd best pure scorer? And offer no valid argument? No replacement option?

Log off your mommy's computer little man, it's past your bedtime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast