Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Michael Young

Hybrid View

vCash

Michael Young

Hey Guys, I am a Phillies fan and i know very little about Young. Any insight about him you can give would be appreciated. I am thinking he is alot like what we had in Polanco.

vCash
    well, a lot of Rangers fans are down on him based on last season's performance....his overall skills diminished quite a bit from 2011 to 2012, but if he can bounce back and put up similar numbers to 2011 he could be a real steal. The Rangers organization just doesn't have a spot for him anymore, they are trying to get younger and to pay someone $16 mil for the year in an even more limited role than last year is just not feasible. He is a great clubhouse leader though and his work ethic is top notch. He is a class act and was always a fan favorite. If he can return to just average defending along with similar offensive numbers to 2011 than he will be a great contributor.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SJSF View Post
    Hey Guys, I am a Phillies fan and i know very little about Young. Any insight about him you can give would be appreciated. I am thinking he is alot like what we had in Polanco.
    He's a gap to gap doubles hitter, definitely better with the bat than Polanco. He's gotten pretty bad on defense though, not necessarily his handling but just his range at third. By far his best attribute is what he brings in terms of intangibles. Mike Young is an incredible leader and motivator, providing instant chemistry in the club house.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by harlequin018 View Post
    He's a gap to gap doubles hitter, definitely better with the bat than Polanco. He's gotten pretty bad on defense though, not necessarily his handling but just his range at third. By far his best attribute is what he brings in terms of intangibles. Mike Young is an incredible leader and motivator, providing instant chemistry in the club house.
    Incredible description right here. Very well said. The only thing I would add, is his bat speed has slowed, since that's a very important thing to note. But everything else harlequin said is dead on.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    — Dr. Seuss

vCash
    Sounds like Mike Young will be a Phillie today. Have to say, a little sad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by harlequin018 View Post
    Sounds like Mike Young will be a Phillie today. Have to say, a little sad.
    I'm a lot of sad. I'd make the trade too if I was JD but it's gonna be so weird seeing Young in a different uniform. It would be like Witten or Dirk getting traded.

vCash
    I am kind of torn on this trade. On one hand I see what they are trying to do by getting younger, and giving the other guys more at bats. On the other hand we are paying $10 million of is $16 million salary, and everyone on here would agree that a player like Young is worth a one year $6 million contract. That extra $6 million wont make a lick of difference in the Hamilton negotiations and Greinke is gone.

The only real need I see for this is to give Olt and Profar more playing time, but for the money we are already paying him I think this a bit of a wash. Signing another bat for utility player will cost just as much as keeping Young around would. I mean hell, we are paying $3 million alone just for Soto. I don't care really from a fan standpoint or seeing him another uniform, this trade just seemed kind of unnecessary to me. There would have been no reason just to use Young as more of a spot player or DH. The guy has the tools to play every position in the infield as well.
    2012 Texas Rangers Offseason

"I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never” -Rafael Palmeiro (4 Months before testing positive for steroids)

Texas Rangers 2010-11 American League Champions!

Indianapolis Colts Super Bowl XLI Champions!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vigilantex69 View Post
    I am kind of torn on this trade. On one hand I see what they are trying to do by getting younger, and giving the other guys more at bats. On the other hand we are paying $10 million of is $16 million salary, and everyone on here would agree that a player like Young is worth a one year $6 million contract. That extra $6 million wont make a lick of difference in the Hamilton negotiations and Greinke is gone.

The only real need I see for this is to give Olt and Profar more playing time, but for the money we are already paying him I think this a bit of a wash. Signing another bat for utility player will cost just as much as keeping Young around would. I mean hell, we are paying $3 million alone just for Soto. I don't care really from a fan standpoint or seeing him another uniform, this trade just seemed kind of unnecessary to me. There would have been no reason just to use Young as more of a spot player or DH. The guy has the tools to play every position in the infield as well.

I completely disagree with this, I was a huge Young fan during his time with us but it was time to move on...this was a win-win trade, Phillies got their 3B and Young now gets a fulltime spot. We would have been paying someone $16 mil for the year to get probably around 250 ABs for the year which is awful. By trading him, we now save some money, give our young guys more ABs, and added bullpen depth that we needed by losing some key guys to FA.....I for one really like the trade.

vCash
    But again, after losing out on Napoli, we are probably going to have to sign some sort of bat? Won't any decent vet free agent right now cost at least $5 million or so on a one year deal? I guess its not completely necessary, but we do have a lot of holes to fill. That and I mean Young really was a fan favorite.
    2012 Texas Rangers Offseason

"I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never” -Rafael Palmeiro (4 Months before testing positive for steroids)

Texas Rangers 2010-11 American League Champions!

Indianapolis Colts Super Bowl XLI Champions!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vigilantex69 View Post
    But again, after losing out on Napoli, we are probably going to have to sign some sort of bat? Won't any decent vet free agent right now cost at least $5 million or so on a one year deal? I guess its not completely necessary, but we do have a lot of holes to fill. That and I mean Young really was a fan favorite.
    I'll certainly agree with this if we deal an Olt/Profar.

Moving Michael Young made sense in order for us to give more AB's to our young, major league ready type bats, but if we only moved him just to be forced to go out and sign other utility guys (because we've dealt Olt/Profar), then I don't see the point either.

Who needs Josh Hamilton when you can have this for $11m?