Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Should the NBA change the Hack-a-Shaq Rule?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the full 48 should carry a 2-shot + ball penalty.

25 14.29%
  • Yes, but not so severe and/or a shorter duartion of the game.

15 8.57%
  • No, leave it how it is.

68 38.86%
  • No, get rid of the rule altogether. If they can't shoot, deal with it.

67 38.29%
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
    vCash

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by topdog View Post
    If it's the rules then it is not cheating as cheating is "to violate rules or regulations."
    Somehow I saw this weak defense coming. Thank you for taking the bait.

But it's okay for a team to pass the ball around the perimeter for 20 seconds to run down the clock?
    Yeah it's okay. So you're saying passing should be illegal? Let's lessen the shot clock then!

It's a strategic move that says, "we can score more points against your defense than this player can score at the line unguarded."
    Yeah, by jacking up a plethora of contested 3's. Anyone could do that.

Feel however you want about that, but the only reason it "degrades" the game is because it works i.e. if guys made free throws there would be no hacking.
    No, as I've been saying, it degrades the game because the game should be over. I'm talking about intentional fouls altogether. But no, the losing team has to foul for the next 5 minutes because they can't accept losing or score their way back into the game.

Your argument is purely subjective and emotional.
    Funny how a purely subjective and emotional argument is so popular with other fans of the sport. This "strategy" you praise has been looked down upon for years. Intentional fouls should be banned. Like I said, it's not tag, it's basketball. You defend, you shoot the ball, sometimes you miss, sometimes you make shots. That's the game. Not fouling like a little ***** because you're losing.
    Last edited by kobe4thewinbang; 12-08-2012 at 09:59 PM.

vCash
    The rule is fine. Its boring if you're watching live, but its funny watching it on TV.

vCash
    If he's really concerned about slowing the game down take away some timeouts.

If you really want to improve the quality of the sport take away all those back to back games and 3 in 4 nights scheduling screw jobs completely.

"Eighteen Twenty-five _______"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kobe4thewinbang View Post
    Somehow I saw this weak defense coming. Thank you for taking the bait.
    You're welcome for me pointing out you proved yourself wrong. Merry Christmas!

Yeah it's okay. So you're saying passing should be illegal? Let's lessen the shot clock then!
    You're argument is that this isn't "tag." It's not "keep away" either

Yeah, by jacking up a plethora of contested 3's. Anyone could do that.
    People don't have to "jack up" 3s (which oddly seem to go in often - maybe that's because some guys are "clutch" shooters) against Dwight because he's only taking 1 point away from the average possession.

No, as I've been saying, it degrades the game because the game should be over. I'm talking about intentional fouls altogether. But no, the losing team has to foul for the next 5 minutes because they can't accept losing or score their way back into the game.
    That makes no sense. Who says it should be over? You play the game to win. A win is a win even if it's not pretty. If a team is employing a strategy of running out the clock, then it simply makes sense to give their worst player shots and trade a 3 for 2 or 2 for 1. I don't think a lot of Lakers fans understand strategy in-game and instead rely on the front office to simply overpower teams.

Funny how a purely subjective and emotional argument is so popular with other fans of the sport. This "strategy" you praise has been looked down upon for years. Intentional fouls should be banned. Like I said, it's not tag, it's basketball. You defend, you shoot the ball, sometimes you miss, sometimes you make shots. That's the game. Not fouling like a little ***** because you're losing.
    How is that funny? That's not surprising. People off have opinions and act off of those opinions emotionally and very subjectively. Obviously, it hasn't been the prevailing opinion or intentional fouling would be illegal - Stern has brought it up to the competition committee before and it hasn't passed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John Walls Era View Post
    The rule is fine. Its boring if you're watching live, but its funny watching it on TV.
    Its boring watching live and its boring watching on t.v. There is no entertainment value in it at all and that is why Stern wants to get rid of the tactic. Nothing to do with the Lakers as everyone is suggesting. He brought this up to the competition committee before Howard joined the Lakers and after Shaq left. He should have brought it up 12 years ago in my opinion.

A sport is supposed to be about competition. There is nothing competitive about watching a guy practice free throws. It is bad for the game.

vCash
    Taking it out would be like taking the intentional walk out of baseball.

vCash
    You're welcome for me pointing out you proved yourself wrong. Merry Christmas!

You're argument is that this isn't "tag." It's not "keep away" either

People don't have to "jack up" 3s (which oddly seem to go in often - maybe that's because some guys are "clutch" shooters) against Dwight because he's only taking 1 point away from the average possession.

That makes no sense. Who says it should be over? You play the game to win. A win is a win even if it's not pretty. If a team is employing a strategy of running out the clock, then it simply makes sense to give their worst player shots and trade a 3 for 2 or 2 for 1. I don't think a lot of Lakers fans understand strategy in-game and instead rely on the front office to simply overpower teams.

How is that funny? That's not surprising. People off have opinions and act off of those opinions emotionally and very subjectively. Obviously, it hasn't been the prevailing opinion or intentional fouling would be illegal - Stern has brought it up to the competition committee before and it hasn't passed.
    Would you watch a whole game of that crap? Would you want to go to a game and pay hundreds of dollars for that crap? You shouldnt want to and you shouldnt have to.

I hated when teams would intentionally walk Barry Bonds when he was at his peak (cheating) I would want to see what the pitcher could do against him and him against them. Them walking him was a b i t c h move and so is fouling a player because you dont think you could stop the other team otherwise. Its not a sport when tactics like these are being used.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppyfighter View Post
    Taking it out would be like taking the intentional walk out of baseball.
    I disagree. Intentional walking has always been part of the game. And at most it slows the game down for a minute. Hack a ______ adds 10 to 15 minutes of crap to a game and totally takes the crowd out of it. It should have been prohibited from the get go but I doubt when they were writing the rule book they thought a team would actually stoop so low.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DODGERS&LAKERS View Post
    I disagree. Intentional walking has always been part of the game. And at most it slows the game down for a minute. Hack a ______ adds 10 to 15 minutes of crap to a game and totally takes the crowd out of it. It should have been prohibited from the get go but I doubt when they were writing the rule book they thought a team would actually stoop so low.
    You would say something like that; hacking should still be in play. Stern is such a hypocrite. He's always preaching and fining teams talking about he wants the NBA to put the best product on the floor...well if you're a professional basketball player you should be able to make a free throw. If you can't and the other team wants to foul you then your coach should put someone in the game who can make a free throw and let the better team win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Daze9900 View Post
    You would say something like that; hacking should still be in play. Stern is such a hypocrite. He's always preaching and fining teams talking about he wants the NBA to put the best product on the floor...well if you're a professional basketball player you should be able to make a free throw. If you can't and the other team wants to foul you then your coach should put someone in the game who can make a free throw and let the better team win.
    So watching that is fun for you?

vCash
    if my team wins then not only is it fun its hilarious. it promotes the fight against traffic jams as well

vCash
    The pace of the game be boring also when the winning teams run around the court holding the ball til the clock expire, so what!

vCash
    Would you watch a whole game of that crap? Would you want to go to a game and pay hundreds of dollars for that crap? You shouldnt want to and you shouldnt have to.

I hated when teams would intentionally walk Barry Bonds when he was at his peak (cheating) I would want to see what the pitcher could do against him and him against them. Them walking him was a b i t c h move and so is fouling a player because you dont think you could stop the other team otherwise. Its not a sport when tactics like these are being used.
    Absolutely! I enjoy teams who have a game plan. Why pitch to Bonds? Why not let someone else try to hurt you? Sure, it's disappointing if you're a fan who wants to see Bonds hit a jack, but it's not like he's going to get walked 3-4 times every game. He'll still get some at bats especially if his being on base hurts the opposing team.

I see you guys arguing against this with too much ego and calling it a expletive-inducing move. That's just plain low i.q. in my book. That's like telling some who lifts with their knees that its a wuss move, meanwhile you pull out your back.

Furthermore, I have a hard time taking LA fans seriously on this one because of Shaq/Dwight being on the Lakers. I don't see too many Clipper or Detroit fans complaining about their guys getting hacked.

vCash
    It's so funny that he's not even trying to hide that this game is about ratings and marketing and not the game of basketball anymore. If you can't shoot a free throw...you sit at the end of a game
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    Surprised a Laker fan would defend Stern with this
    #FreeCrooner!!!! #FreeCrooner!!!! #FreeCrooner!!!! #FreeCrooner!!!!

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast