Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Should the NBA change the Hack-a-Shaq Rule?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the full 48 should carry a 2-shot + ball penalty.

25 14.29%
  • Yes, but not so severe and/or a shorter duartion of the game.

15 8.57%
  • No, leave it how it is.

68 38.86%
  • No, get rid of the rule altogether. If they can't shoot, deal with it.

67 38.29%
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    vCash
    kobe4thewinbang has a point. It's cowardly and just extends games unnecessarily. I for one am for the rule change. It does not shame the sport. It puts teams that are trailing late in the game on notice that intentional fouling off the ball for no reason is unacceptable. I prefer it for an entire game, but since it's most common in the last 2 minutes, that's fine too. Fans will learn to live with it. You don't like it. Don't watch the NBA anymore. Rules change in all sports over time. DEAL WITH IT.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by akagiredsuns View Post
    kobe4thewinbang has a point. It's cowardly and just extends games unnecessarily. I for one am for the rule change. It does not shame the sport. It puts teams that are trailing late in the game on notice that intentional fouling off the ball for no reason is unacceptable. I prefer it for an entire game, but since it's most common in the last 2 minutes, that's fine too. Fans will learn to live with it. You don't like it. Don't watch the NBA anymore. Rules change in all sports over time. DEAL WITH IT.
    or Dwight could just improve his FT shooting..

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    The game has evolved so much - do you really believe if all it took was some extra hours in the gym and some special coaching, that this many big men would still have trouble hitting free throws? I'm sure somebody somewhere down the line would have realized that they could get an extra 5+ppg if they just worked on them a little bit.

I don't see how people can dispute the relationship between size and free throw shooting percentage. Yes there are some oddballs, but for the most part, you don't see too many big fellas shooting 74-76%, which is usually the league average. Saying "but this guy did it" and "I swear, I can hit 9 of 10 with a nerf ball" doesn't really cut it for me.
    I'm a Lakers fan...BUT:

1) No I don't think Kobe > MJ

2) No I don't think LeBron sucks.

3) No I don't think it's funny to continuously make jokes about Charles Osborne.

vCash
    or you should work on your free throws instead of getting a cop out from mr. commissioner.

vCash
    So let's change the game so that lazy superstars that don't want to work on boring things like FT's can look better. Makes sense.

Big THX to MJ's Bulls and pheagles10 on the sig help!
    Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

vCash
    Sabonis is a great example. Huge man, shot 78% from the line. Maybe if our youth coaching would ask the kids to work on their FT's, and post moves after practice, instead of having a dunk-off with the other guys, we wouldn't have such poorly skilled big men coming out of our youth programs.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    Sabonis is a great example. Huge man, shot 78% from the line. Maybe if our youth coaching would ask the kids to work on their FT's, and post moves after practice, instead of having a dunk-off with the other guys, we wouldn't have such poorly skilled big men coming out of our youth programs.
    Thats one theory but I have a hard time believing kids are having dunk off contests with AAU .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topdog View Post
    I'm not assuming players are oafs. I'm saying that I don't buy the argument that big hands are detrimental to making set shots.
    I guess we will just have to agree to disagree because I dont know of any way to examine this. I tend to side with Reggie Miller on the hands theory, I think he knows a thing or 2 about shooting.

I also would agree that sometimes these guys get so much advice that that is an issue in-it-of-itself.
    Thats why I dont think you should be telling people what to work on when its possible that people put in effort and get worse.

Finally, I will say that I was terrible at basketball in my youth and didn't play organized basketball until 8th grade. I was taught to shoot one-handed in 9th grade to establish a feel for the motion. I have improved greatly on my own since then despite some difficulty and setbacks at times. I came late to the game, but I was able to work my issues out simply as a hobby - not saying it's just putting in work, but that I wasn't taught young.
    Im just saying there are alot of factors at play, its not as simple as just going out and working on it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Thats one theory but I have a hard time believing kids are having dunk off contests with AAU .
    you know what I mean. Instead of our youth coaches teaching players the fundamentals of basketball, we are so hyped up on promoting individual players here, versus in Europe, where everyone learns how to shoot, dribble, pass, etc at an early age. Obviously some people have limits on how fundamentally skilled they can become in various parts of the game, but my god, how do you make it to the NBA with form like Marion, or the non-existant ability to hit free throws?

That comes from catering, instead of developing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by torocan View Post
    Sorry, but the "big hands" excuse for bigger players just doesn't cut it, especially when it's been stated that Dwight is shooting 80% FT in the gym.
    Odd, I feel thats a great example of why its not just about effort. Dwight has been working on his free throws and it pays off in practice, games are so much different tho.

And if he really cared that much, he'd shoot Granny style. However, he does NOT care that much. Neither do Most other NBA players with poor FT shooting.
    Yea I wish we could see them at least try it but I just think it must not be much of an improvement in practice.

vCash
    you know what I mean.
    No I really dont.

Instead of our youth coaches teaching players the fundamentals of basketball, we are so hyped up on promoting individual players here, versus in Europe, where everyone learns how to shoot, dribble, pass, etc at an early age. Obviously some people have limits on how fundamentally skilled they can become in various parts of the game, but my god, how do you make it to the NBA with form like Marion, or the non-existant ability to hit free throws?
    Yea I dont buy that opinion, Ive always felt any time developing an aspect of your game or honing any one skill comes at the expense of ignoring another.

That comes from catering, instead of developing.
    I dont see what you mean nor do I know how to challenge that opinion. Agree to disagree I guess.

vCash
    I don't buy it. When I would shoot with a mini-ball for instance, it just took a quick adjustment.
    Yea, Dwight does pretty good in practice too.

I realize not all people can shoot a ball well, no matter what, but there is no excuse on not being able to make well over half your free throws.
    But there are excuses, very valid ones. Its not just about effort and there are various factors at play, hand size included.

Dr. J had enormous hands. Shot 77% for his career.
    Thats kind of low for a perimeter player aint it? I mean I dont think he spent his days learning how to master the post game and the fact that his jumper was always inconsistent kind of deflates the theory that hand size doesnt matter, at least to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    No I really dont.

Yea I dont buy that opinion, Ive always felt any time developing an aspect of your game or honing any one skill comes at the expense of ignoring another.

I dont see what you mean nor do I know how to challenge that opinion. Agree to disagree I guess.
    I just flipped over to look at the all time best seasons for centers, FT shooting. You will never guess what the pattern is...

vCash
    This is just Stern trying to slurp the Lakers like normal.

Simple solution honestly. Tiago Splitter was an awful FT shooter last year, and over the smer he worked on it and now he shoots around 75%

vCash
    i guess being able to block out all things mentally and practicing on ur fts go hand in hand. not sure what other variables fall into play..

LETS GO HEAT

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast