Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Should the NBA change the Hack-a-Shaq Rule?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the full 48 should carry a 2-shot + ball penalty.

25 14.29%
  • Yes, but not so severe and/or a shorter duartion of the game.

15 8.57%
  • No, leave it how it is.

68 38.86%
  • No, get rid of the rule altogether. If they can't shoot, deal with it.

67 38.29%
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRazorboy View Post
    I was just going with big guys off of the top of my head who I knew were historically high on the free throw percentage list. I'll do more research when I have more time.
    Got hand size stats handy?

Cuz I have a theory that I would like to support so let me know if you get those numbers. Those first set of names kind of support my theory, it has to do with shooters vs interior players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Dwight can do the same. Things change during game time. You wouldnt be so good when dealing with mental/physical fatigue. And who knows, maybe you have great hand eye coordination, it differs from person to person and is mostly honed during ones youth (When most bigmen should be learning how to bang on the blocks than working on finesse game).

Ive said this twice this week but its not as easy as just improving this late in the game, it can be done but its not as simple as putting in the effort. Some players got worse the more they tried. There are lots of factors at play here, dont just assume players are all oafs.
    I'm not assuming players are oafs. I'm saying that I don't buy the argument that big hands are detrimental to making set shots.

I also would agree that sometimes these guys get so much advice that that is an issue in-it-of-itself.

Finally, I will say that I was terrible at basketball in my youth and didn't play organized basketball until 8th grade. I was taught to shoot one-handed in 9th grade to establish a feel for the motion. I have improved greatly on my own since then despite some difficulty and setbacks at times. I came late to the game, but I was able to work my issues out simply as a hobby - not saying it's just putting in work, but that I wasn't taught young.
    United We Run

vCash
    Sorry, but the "big hands" excuse for bigger players just doesn't cut it, especially when it's been stated that Dwight is shooting 80% FT in the gym.

And teams DO get penalized for fouling... it's called HAVING A FOUL and 2 FT's. Get 6 fouls, and the player has to sit. That sure sounds like a penalty to me.

If the team Front Office gets a Big man who can't FT shoot, then you have to CHOOSE between his Defense and his FT shooting if the other team starts Fouling. That's how it works for Everyone. Make 60% of your FT's and nobody would bother except in close clock situations.

When the clock is down and the score is Close, teams sub out BAD shooters to avoid being fouled. They make a CHOICE. There are a TON of close games that come down to FT's, including playoffs and Championship games.

It's part of the game, and changing the rules because Dwight can't get past his Psychological block is NOT a good reason.

And if he really cared that much, he'd shoot Granny style. However, he does NOT care that much. Neither do Most other NBA players with poor FT shooting.

It's stupid to alter the LONG standing rules on Fouls just because Dwight can't sink a FREE shot at the line and is too proud to go Granny style.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    You guys realize it's not as easy as "learn to shoot a free throw" right? Guys with huge ****ing hands have a much harder time with free throws because of the way the ball sits in their hands.
    I don't buy it. When I would shoot with a mini-ball for instance, it just took a quick adjustment. I realize not all people can shoot a ball well, no matter what, but there is no excuse on not being able to make well over half your free throws.

Dr. J had enormous hands. Shot 77% for his career.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Y'all are missing the point, a point others haven't missed in the past. To quote them, "it shames the sport."

Yeah, it can add suspense to a close game, but at the end of the day, it's not about the free throws or Dwight Howard being a moron. It's about people intentionally fouling because they've already lost the game so they need the ball back immediately to hoist up a stupid 3. It extends games far too long and frankly it's annoying as hell to watch.

"Oh, pass, pass, pass, you can't foul me, ha-ha, oh dang, you fouled me, with 4.8 left on the clock."

Is this tag or basketball?

The better team already has the lead, regardless of bad officiating, then they get fouled, and a 3 might clang in by the other team. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Then they're down by 1, only to foul AGAIN, and the other team makes both free throws, or just one of two, giving the disgraceful team a desperation 3 point shot attempt to steal, I mean, win the game!

The same should be said for intentionally missing free throws, whether you have the lead and are trying to keep the other team from getting a good shot off before time expires, or you need 2/3 points instead of 1 more with barely any time left on the clock.

If there's 10 seconds left in the game and you're behind, shoot the ball like a respectable team and run the full court press to see what happens on defense. But don't resort to cowardly fouls because you can't accept defeat.

If an intentional foul is committed at any point during the game, the culprit should be ejected, or given a technical foul AND the other team should get the ball back.

This article is right on the money: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...tentional-foul
    Last edited by kobe4thewinbang; 12-08-2012 at 05:45 AM.

vCash
    Wow.. Worst Idea ever.

2012 allstar

vCash
    Free throws are part of the game od your in the NBA u should be able to shoot free throws ...I'm for hack a shaq its strategy
    New York State of Mind

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bucketss View Post
    i think stern has helped the lakers enough over the years
    I veto your statement.

vCash

ewing

OMG players who lack a fundamental skill hurt there team

Not only do i think the NBA should get rid of the final 2 mins BS i think the first 3 fouls after you reach the bonus should be a 1 and 1

They changed the rule solely for Shaq to start with. It ridiculousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    vCash
    Another reason Stern is an *******. That guy is stronger than my guy and can grab the ball out of his hands when they both go for a rebound, there should be a rule against that. My guard can't defend the 3 so your player can't take 3's.

Isn't the point of a sports to exploit the weakness of the other team so that they have to change what they are doing and it takes them out of their comfort zone?
    That is unless you have identical teams, which there aren't.

They are paid to play basketball. If players chose to ignore and integral part of the game or decide they don't want to work harder at that part of the game, that is their fault.
    I have a feeling if howard took a few hundred free throws a day, he would become a decent, 70% free throw shooter. It would be enough to get teams to stop.

But it would take time and effort. Some players don't want to make that effort. I'm not saying he is or isn't a hard worker. It's not an indictment of his work ethic. It is a question of where that effort goes and how much extra he wants to put in to be better.

Here's a better idea. How about his team getting on him. How about teams that sign horrible free throw shooters put in an incentive, a big incentive for shooting above a certain percent.

If he makes the shots, they will stop. Make the shots Dwight. The league shouldn't change because of your ineptitude. You should be embarrassed by that shortcoming and work to change the outcome at the line.

vCash
    let the fouled team free choice of their free throw shooter between the current players on the field regardless of whos fouled during the last 2 minutes or for all off the ball fouls and keep the rest as it is.
    Last edited by rabzouz 96; 12-08-2012 at 08:41 AM.

vCash
    I think they should get rid of the hack a shaq crap any way they can. Its a complete ****** move anyway but it makes the game Boring, slow, and unwatchable. I remember teams fouling splitter on purpose in the first quarter of games. You shouldn't be able to could a person off the ball on purpose. If the ball is in there hands okay but otherwise its pathetic

vCash
    gee i wonder which option laker fans would vote for.

LETS GO HEAT

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Im_in_Mia_bish View Post
    gee i wonder which option laker fans would vote for.
    that is what I said earlier. They had the player this rule was made for, and now have another dominant big who sucks at FT's. Of course Laker fans would love to have a 2+ball on each foul for the most part, which is why most of them I don't listen to on this subject.

Fact is, if your guy sucks at FT's, take his *** out late in games, or tell him to get better at a simple aspect of the game.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    that is what I said earlier. They had the player this rule was made for, and now have another dominant big who sucks at FT's. Of course Laker fans would love to have a 2+ball on each foul for the most part, which is why most of them I don't listen to on this subject.

Fact is, if your guy sucks at FT's, take his *** out late in games, or tell him to get better at a simple aspect of the game.
    exactly.
    they have the 2 min rule in place so it doesnt get in the way of a crunch time game when it comes down to the wire.

its foolish to tamper with a coaching style, if dwight cant hit his fts. tough luck.

LETS GO HEAT

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast