Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by amos1er View Post
    No, the first mistake was back in the early 2000's when Jerry Buss agreed to let his no good son succeed him. Since then he has managed to chase away of all the great people in this organization that are responsible for getting all those banners on the wall. It's been a downward spiral ever since.
    Well someone has to run the team when Dr Buss dies, and also he is not selling the team to strangers. I mean I hope don't have kids because your kids will screw you over big time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers4sho View Post
    yes he was, but not here in PSD
    Care to elaborate?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by J4KOP99 View Post
    The lakers won the title 2 years ago... and the year before that... and went to the final the year before that. We had a very formidable bench during those seasons.

As for these last 2 years, well, money is a major reason. I agree though, Pau should move to the bench once he and Nash come back. That will help out. I also want Mitch to sign Delonte.

-Our bench is better this year than it has been the last 2 years. But that's not really saying much.
    So your saying thats just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes?
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GailGoodrich View Post
    Implicit in the question is the idea that building a pro-basketball bench is like building a house. It's not. When you build a house all the variables are known: you just have to purchase the right parts and assemble them correctly.

Bench players, like starters, are often a gamble. Are they good, but currently in the wrong system? Did they play their heart out in a contract year, and now that they're getting paid they don't really care any more? What about injuries -- are they telling you what's wrong with them, or hiding injuries to keep from being cut?

There's no science to building a bench. You bring players in that you think will help, and if they help you keep them. If not, you send them packing. The Lakers brought in an almost entirely new bench two years ago, and unfortunately almost nobody from that group proved to have staying power. So now we're onto the next group.

If the Lakers starters click when they're all healthy, I suspect the Lakers bench will suddenly look a whole lot better. If Jamison proves to be more consistent, if Meeks' streaks even out, and if Hill learns how to harness his bounce in spot minutes, suddenly the Lakers may be looking very strong through nine deep with Blake. Until the Lakers starters take control of the team, however, the bench is almost certainly going to look weak.
    All thats definitely true, its just some of the decisions made were mind boggling to me. You speak of system but IIRC they made the decision to jettison Farmar after they already knew PJ wasn't going to be coaching, thus the triangle would no longer inhibit him. They signed an inferior player to replace him despite the fact that the superior player was shackled by the system and most likely his own youth. I just didn't see the point to expect a difference in Blake's game after years of being a journey man.

Then consider his contract, I dont know about the annual pay but they gave him a guaranteed 4 year deal. Thats just unnecessary for a player of his caliber in a market like LA. Just holding onto Farmar would have helped over the ensuing years.

I havent examined the situation fully, but it just strikes me odd that you guys have been unable to rectify the situation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers4sho View Post
    yes he was, but not here in PSD
    Explain.....

You mean back when I was a kid who had no concept of allegiances? In that case I was once a Sixers fan, Celtics fan, Bulls fan, Rockets fan, Raptors fan, Pistons fan etc... I have never been anything but an NBA fan.

That said, I have never not had the Clippers as my main babe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellcrooner View Post
    salary cap + giving away our first rounders in every trade for a starter.........or for someone that bolts after 3 months
    Damn, Crooner this is the second time this week we agree!

vCash
    Wish we had farmar and sasha back
    Oggi pensu iu, dumani pensa Diu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deadman8586 View Post
    That was Phil's and your guys fault for that.
    Deadman strikes again!

vCash
    'Cause most of the budget was spent on Phil's highrise, throne-like chair. That ****'s damn expensive.
    <3

lakers4sho | Chavacano | EricBallsachs | Avenged24 | still1ballin | GREATNESS ONE | Chacarron
    LakersMaster24 | KB-Pau-DH2012 | 8kobe24 | championships | Lakers+Giants | LakerShow
    AussieLaker | YouCan'tBeatLA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deadman8586 View Post
    That was Phil's and your guys fault for that.
    our guys ok...

vCash
    bench players dont win ships

"Killer Instinct"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    I think this bench can turn it around once the Steve's get back and if D'Antoni realizes that Pau should be coming off the bench. But its been so many years and you guys have had poor bench play.

Even the year Odom won 6MOY, your bench was basically just comprised of his contributions. WHY? It shouldnt be this hard should it? I have a couple of theories but dont want to mention them yet.
    To be fair management was bad at it during the Kobe and Shaq years too. Once Harper aged and both Green and Rice left, Fisher, Horry, and Fox became starters. The bench essentially depended on George, Shaw, and Madsen

Odom did all the heavy lifting in the title runs, I mean the kids were great in 08 but Shsha, Farmar regressed and Turiaf left when they won the first one and by the second one, none of them really played well outside a few spots so the starters carried a bunch of weight

It kinda goes with the question of why the Lakers never built a fully competent and versatile prerimeter? They didn't have to, Kobe would carry the lion share most the time, Shaq and Pau would carry a huge weight, and Odom would. They just relied on players doing too much which was the opposite of Showtime which saw every rotation member have a set role and get to play it to their best abilities

vCash
    Lakers never had an amazing bench like the Clippers or Boston has this year. Yet we won 5 chips in past 10 years.

Who cares?

vCash
    True^^^

Your baby can't do this

vCash
    May be the starters are taking up too much cap space making it hard to go after decent bench players

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast