Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Why havent you been able to build a bench in years?

I think this bench can turn it around once the Steve's get back and if D'Antoni realizes that Pau should be coming off the bench. But its been so many years and you guys have had poor bench play.

Even the year Odom won 6MOY, your bench was basically just comprised of his contributions. WHY? It shouldnt be this hard should it? I have a couple of theories but dont want to mention them yet.
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

vCash
    I want to hear your theories.

vCash
    Lack of a great spot up shooter could be something considered. Blake and Barnes were the guys last year, and Barnes is streaky, and Blake is hesitant. Lack of talent as well. Most teams find them young guys that come up and end up being halfway productive when put into the game and given a chance, Lakers are always old on the bench because they don't give a **** about drafting, and always end up trading all the picks anyway. So let's sign veterans and throw them against the wall hoping they stick. Payroll is also a problem. When your starting lineup makes up the budget it gets tough.

I still think this bench can be really good if they get some good chemistry going, Meeks has had some good performances, Jamison as well, Darius Morris has shown signs from time to time. But When Nash and Blake come back it will get better. Blake, Duhon, Hill, Jamison, Meeks. And maybe even Pau if he ends up there, WHich I don't see happening, The main reason he is still on the roster is because of Steve Nash, They want to see Pau and Nash on the floor together at all times.
    Last edited by CyborgMushroom; 12-07-2012 at 02:01 PM.

vCash
    What is Steve's?

vCash
    Wasn't Chronz a Laker fan?

mamba24 Guest
    I have been thinking the same thing.... I think there are guys who are available who could help. I really think the Lakers should go after Jimmer haha. I watched him at BYU. All he did on offense was use screens to get into the lane and use screens to shoot 3s. Offensively he could be a great piece... Thats an EXTREMELY minor idea. The Lakers have more problems than that and should do better.

I think the main reason they havent been able to do more with the bench is cuz they spend so much on their starters. they really dont have the money to go sign guys to come off the bench for 6 or 7 million...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderousDemon View Post
    Wasn't Chronz a Laker fan?
    That's what I've been asking for while!

I could've sworn that when I first starting visiting this site, he was constantly in the Lakers forum..

vCash
    salary cap + giving away our first rounders in every trade for a starter.........or for someone that bolts after 3 months
    ]

vCash
    Yeah, Which is understandable that they always trade picks away. The mentality is win before stepping on the court, and it's always been that kind of thinking upstairs. They don't concern themselves a whole lot in building a young player. Developing him over the course of a few seasons. That's not the way they think, that can hurt a team sometimes. But that's the disadvantage, and every tactic has them.

vCash
    lol, who leaves the Lakers fan base to join Clipper nation.

http://cdn.jockpost.com/wp-content/u...ba-fan-map.jpg

vCash
    Not gonna lie, I think kobe is the reason why a lot of our bench players can't succeed. The fact that he doesn't really pass to them and how he has a pecking order limits their contributions to the team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    I think this bench can turn it around once the Steve's get back and if D'Antoni realizes that Pau should be coming off the bench. But its been so many years and you guys have had poor bench play.

Even the year Odom won 6MOY, your bench was basically just comprised of his contributions. WHY? It shouldnt be this hard should it? I have a couple of theories but dont want to mention them yet.
    The lakers won the title 2 years ago... and the year before that... and went to the final the year before that. We had a very formidable bench during those seasons.

As for these last 2 years, well, money is a major reason. I agree though, Pau should move to the bench once he and Nash come back. That will help out. I also want Mitch to sign Delonte.

-Our bench is better this year than it has been the last 2 years. But that's not really saying much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakers+Giants View Post
    Not gonna lie, I think kobe is the reason why a lot of our bench players can't succeed. The fact that he doesn't really pass to them and how he has a pecking order limits their contributions to the team.
    This is also huge and I completely agree. Young players shy away from Kobe on the court and he doesn't really help the situation.

vCash
    Implicit in the question is the idea that building a pro-basketball bench is like building a house. It's not. When you build a house all the variables are known: you just have to purchase the right parts and assemble them correctly.

Bench players, like starters, are often a gamble. Are they good, but currently in the wrong system? Did they play their heart out in a contract year, and now that they're getting paid they don't really care any more? What about injuries -- are they telling you what's wrong with them, or hiding injuries to keep from being cut?

There's no science to building a bench. You bring players in that you think will help, and if they help you keep them. If not, you send them packing. The Lakers brought in an almost entirely new bench two years ago, and unfortunately almost nobody from that group proved to have staying power. So now we're onto the next group.

If the Lakers starters click when they're all healthy, I suspect the Lakers bench will suddenly look a whole lot better. If Jamison proves to be more consistent, if Meeks' streaks even out, and if Hill learns how to harness his bounce in spot minutes, suddenly the Lakers may be looking very strong through nine deep with Blake. Until the Lakers starters take control of the team, however, the bench is almost certainly going to look weak.

vCash
    I am so confused.

2014 CHAMPIONS

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast