Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Introduction to Sabermatrics

Hello everyone. I've been putting this off for a while, but I wanted to ask the community for article and book recommendation that would give me a good introduction to sabermetrics. As far as my background, I am not a stranger to statistics; although, I have only dealt with statistics in a sociological way (fatherst I have gotten is multi-regression). I'm also curious if there exist any baseball statistical datasets for STATA. I would love to play around with these data sets during winter break.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cubsofchicago View Post
    Hello everyone. I've been putting this off for a while, but I wanted to ask the community for article and book recommendation that would give me a good introduction to sabermetrics. As far as my background, I am not a stranger to statistics; although, I have only dealt with statistics in a sociological way (fatherst I have gotten is multi-regression). I'm also curious if there exist any baseball statistical datasets for STATA. I would love to play around with these data sets during winter break.
    the book: playing the percentages in baseball was one of the best books I have read on sabermetrics

http://www.insidethebook.com/

vCash
    ^ that is the best introductory book that I can think of.

Baseball Prospectus releases an annual book, and just reading Fangraphs can really help you as well (be sure to search every stat in their glossary that is referenced in their posts).

As well, the story books, 'Moneyball' and 'The Extra 2%' are just good reads that work along with sabrmetrics.

vCash
    Thanks, I'm going to be reading these books next week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    ^ that is the best introductory book that I can think of.

Baseball Prospectus releases an annual book, and just reading Fangraphs can really help you as well (be sure to search every stat in their glossary that is referenced in their posts).

As well, the story books, 'Moneyball' and 'The Extra 2%' are just good reads that work along with sabrmetrics.
    I still have never actually read Moneyball but I can attest to The Extra 2%. Fantastic book.

vCash
    The Extra 2% is a great read, certainly wets the appetite to learn more about the numbers behind the game.