Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 108
  1. #91
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    29,172
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by acerimusdux View Post
    Martin by the way in his 29 games in AA, didn't hit a bunch of HR, but still had a higher OPS than Olt did with all those HR.

    Olt is a career .282 hitter with a .912 OPS in the minors. He's got power, but he's not likely to hit for average in MLB. Martin is a career .323 hitter with an .891 OPS in the minors. He won't hit a lot of HR, but can hit for average and play center field.

    Granted, a lot of Martin's numbers there are from the PCL, but he was 3rd in the entire PCL in batting average and 2nd in OPS this year. The bat is legit. He's doing this straight out of Cuba, with his first exposure to pro ball coming just last year. He's a real professional hitter, as well as an actual good outfielder. Unlike Olt, he might be the Mets best overall outfielder from day one, the moment he steps on the field.

    I'll take Olt if another team wants him in a 3-way. If we can flip him in a deal for Justin Upton, for example. But I have no special desire to add him to our farm system. Certainly not at the cost of our best starting pitcher.

    Both Olt and Gose would have higher perfect world ceilings than Martin. But I don't like lottery tickets. Martin looks like the safer bet to me and he comes ready to win a job this spring. I'd especially rather have Martin and another prospect (the Rangers do have some depth) than just Olt.
    Martin also a full year older than Olt. And while Olt k'd over 100 times he also walked 61 times in 421 PA. He has great plate discipline. In 3 seasons he posted an obp of .391.

    Sign me up.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    54,729
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by acerimusdux View Post
    The other guy in the Rangers system to covet would be Luis Sardinas. He's a toolsy middle infielder with plus-plus speed who had a very strong second half in low A, and then tore up the AFL as a 19-year old. He's the highest upside guy there; I'd take him over Olt or Gose.
    I really like Luis Sardinas. If he was included in a deal with Olt or Martin, I would be a very happy man.

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,982
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    Martin also a full year older than Olt. And while Olt k'd over 100 times he also walked 61 times in 421 PA. He has great plate discipline. In 3 seasons he posted an obp of .391.

    Sign me up.
    Are there 6 months in a year now? Actually, Martin was in AA last year, so he was 6 months younger when at the same level.

    Olt is the better prospect, but only because he can play 3B. Once you move Olt to the outfield, Martin should have more value there. You should still take Olt anyway if you're sure you can use him as a trade chip.

    I'd rather go for Martin + Sardinas, though. I don't think they'd give up Olt + Sardinas.

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Born in Brooklyn, New Jersey now.
    Posts
    1,439
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28
    Martin also a full year older than Olt. And while Olt k'd over 100 times he also walked 61 times in 421 PA. He has great plate discipline. In 3 seasons he posted an obp of .391.
    Sign me up.
    Actually, Martin is only 5 months older than Olt, if that means anything. If I were Sandy, I'd back away from the request for Olt and ask for Martin instead. Look at their triple slash lines last year while on the same PCL team, facing the same pitchers.
    Olt - - .288/.398/.579/.977 - 421 PA, 100K, 61 BB = 4.21PA/K and 1.64K/BB
    Martin .359/.422/.610/1.033 - 260 PAs, 39K, 24 BB = 6.67 PA/K and 1.63K/BB

    I'd have to say that, although Olt strikes out more, their plate discipline seems about equal. Martin's career OBP at .388 is only 3 points behind Olt's, but that is purely because, in 2011 as a 23 yr old, Martin was brought up to face AAA pitching while Olt spent the year in High A Myrtle Beach.

    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    I really like Luis Sardinas. If he was included in a deal with Olt or Martin, I would be a very happy man.
    I've been talking up including Luis Sardinas in the package for Dickey for some time now. If we could get the Rangers to add a lower level prospect, all the better, but even just Martin and Sardinas would be a great deal for the Mets
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    54,729
    vCash
    1500
    Texas has an abundance of middle infield talent with Odor, Herrera, Profar, Andrus, etc. and since Sardinas just completed A ball, it shouldn't be a stretch to ask to include him in a deal.

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    54,729
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbummin View Post
    Actually, Martin is only 5 months older than Olt, if that means anything. If I were Sandy, I'd back away from the request for Olt and ask for Martin instead. Look at their triple slash lines last year while on the same PCL team, facing the same pitchers.
    Olt - - .288/.398/.579/.977 - 421 PA, 100K, 61 BB = 4.21PA/K and 1.64K/BB
    Martin .359/.422/.610/1.033 - 260 PAs, 39K, 24 BB = 6.67 PA/K and 1.63K/BB
    Olt was in AA, not AAA.

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    22,153
    vCash
    1500
    Yeah the Texas League is not nearly as hitter's friendly as the PCL.

    I don't think anyone would be disappointed with Olt either, he mashed in A Myrtle Beach which is not a particularly hitter's friendly league either.

    But i get the sentiment of Martin and Sardinias, it's about quantity and quality.

    The Mets can use as many potential bats in their lineup as they can find.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-09-2012 at 10:12 PM.

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    54,729
    vCash
    1500
    Projected 2015 Mets line-up

    SS-Sardinas
    CF-Nimmo
    3B-Wright
    1B-Davis
    RF-Olt
    LF-Flores
    C-Plawecki
    SS-Tejada

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Born in Brooklyn, New Jersey now.
    Posts
    1,439
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Olt was in AA, not AAA.
    Oops, my bad. I thought I remembered them both with Round Rock last year. Memory is sometimes a problem that comes with Olt age.

    Interesting though, in Martin's time at AA Frisco, while 1/2 year younger than Olt was when he was with Frisco, his stats were pretty much as impressive as they were a year later in AAA.
    Last edited by dunbummin; 12-09-2012 at 10:39 PM.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    116
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Again Mejia is not insignificant, he's a potential SP piece who has very good upside.
    He kind of is at this point.

    A prospects value doesn't remain static. I'd love Drabek to be worth what he was when AA first acquired him but the fact of the matter is he is not.

    Mejia like Drabek is a failed prospect at this point...

    1. Scouts are split whether or not he profiles as a reliever or starter going forward.
    2. Recently had TJ.
    3. He's had command problems
    4. His stuff hasn't translated we'll in higher leagues (k's).

    For Buck offloading him and getting a failed prospect back is probably the best case scenario. Maybe, AA has to eat a little money to make that happen.

    JPA is another story. While I don't expect to get an A prospect back for him we should be able to do better then Mejia. Probably one B or a couple of high upside C's.

  11. #101
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    22,153
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by boller4prez View Post
    He kind of is at this point.

    A prospects value doesn't remain static. I'd love Drabek to be worth what he was when AA first acquired him but the fact of the matter is he is not.

    Mejia like Drabek is a failed prospect at this point...

    1. Scouts are split whether or not he profiles as a reliever or starter going forward.
    2. Recently had TJ.
    3. He's had command problems
    4. His stuff hasn't translated we'll in higher leagues (k's).

    For Buck offloading him and getting a failed prospect back is probably the best case scenario. Maybe, AA has to eat a little money to make that happen.

    JPA is another story. While I don't expect to get an A prospect back for him we should be able to do better then Mejia. Probably one B or a couple of high upside C's.
    K's are an irrelevant stat when it comes to how effective a pitcher can pitch, guys come back stronger from TJ surgery all the time, and yes although he has command issues a lot of younger pitchers do.

    If he is able to harness his stuff and pitch significantly better next year, there is really little reason why the Blue Jays would pass up on a potential middle of the rotation type pitcher for a catcher that will soon lose his position to their best hitting prospect.

    Eventually Anthopoulos will have to make a decision on who he is dealing, D'Arnaud's stick won't keep him out of the lineup forever.

  12. #102
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    16,737
    vCash
    1500
    Too many ifs surrounding Mejia for him to have significant trade value.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

    Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

  13. #103
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    29,172
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by acerimusdux View Post
    Are there 6 months in a year now? Actually, Martin was in AA last year, so he was 6 months younger when at the same level.

    Olt is the better prospect, but only because he can play 3B. Once you move Olt to the outfield, Martin should have more value there. You should still take Olt anyway if you're sure you can use him as a trade chip.

    I'd rather go for Martin + Sardinas, though. I don't think they'd give up Olt + Sardinas.
    I would rather have Martin and Olt. The question is will Daniels part with that type of package for Dickey.

    For what it's worth I think Flores becomes our everyday 2nd baseman. He'll make the plays at 2nd, looks comfortable around the bag and as you know can flat out hit.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  14. #104
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    116
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    K's are an irrelevant stat when it comes to how effective a pitcher can pitch, guys come back stronger from TJ surgery all the time, and yes although he has command issues a lot of younger pitchers do.

    If he is able to harness his stuff and pitch significantly better next year, there is really little reason why the Blue Jays would pass up on a potential middle of the rotation type pitcher for a catcher that will soon lose his position to their best hitting prospect.

    Eventually Anthopoulos will have to make a decision on who he is dealing, D'Arnaud's stick won't keep him out of the lineup forever.
    1. That's crazy talk. K's are one of the few things a pitcher can control.

    2. I don't see him as mid rotation type pitcher at this point. I don't see him as being better then JA Happ either right now.

    The truth is, he'd start the season in AAA for us. We also have Hutchinson and Drabek coming off injury looking to be ready to comeback midseason. Hutchinson is better then Mejia right now. Drabek it's probably a toss up.

    So Mejia would probably be 6th to start the season on our SP depth chart and 7th/8th by midseason.

    3. Yes, but the demands for catchers will always be high. To be honest I'd rather keep JPA as insurance and as a backup C and platoon option with Lind... then just give him away. He's also under control until 2017 so there really is no urgency to deal him.

    With that being said I think we'll get a much better offer then Mejia and I wouldn't be surprised if JPA is moved.

  15. #105
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    54,729
    vCash
    1500
    Mejia also gets a ton of grounders. The reason Mejia hasn't been able to get more Ks is because he falls behind early in the count. He still has a high upside because of the arm.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •