Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    The 6 million dollar price tag is exactly the reason the Mets wouldn't do it.

Buck is comparable to other catchers on the FA market and trade market that the Mets would probably look elsewheres if Buck is the man left standing in trade.
    Yeah, but free agents cost money too. Maybe when Toronto realizes no one is going to give up anything good for Arencibia, they'll come to their senses and move Buck instead in a salary dump.

vCash
    If we had two trade options on the table, what would u guys rather have?

Dickey to the Jays for JPA and Gose

or

Dickey to TEX for Mike Olt straight up

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    If we had two trade options on the table, what would u guys rather have?

Dickey to the Jays for JPA and Gose

or

Dickey to TEX for Mike Olt straight up
    Neither but gun to my head i would say Olt straight up.

Not sold on Gose's ability to hit and with JPA's value (and offense for that matter) currently the Mets could find a similar catcher somewhere else.

I know it fills 2 spots and Arencibia has the potential to be a better hitter than he has been but i would still take Olt over Gose and JPA.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-09-2012 at 03:48 AM.

vCash
    i just think we have to make a deal eventually. we aren't close enough to winning a WS and chances we win in the next couple yrs are slim to none. Might as well make one of these deals if it ends up being the best we can do.

vCash
    I think I take Gose over Olt. But I might take Leonys Martin over either. Biggest problem with Gose is they put him on the roster at such a young age, I'm afraid he'll be out of options before he's ready.

Martin doesn't have Gose's speed, and he's 2 years older, and a better hitter now with a little more pop. And a safer bet to hit.

I like Gose in the long run, certainly in the long run the guy who is only 21 years old is the better bet. But I hate how he was handled. It reminds me of how the Mets rushed Carlos Gomez. And I think you'll get a similar result. I think you'll have to suffer through him scuffling for several years before emerging as a solid regular at age 25-26. Meaning Wright might be already in decline.

Maybe I'd go to the Rangers and ask for Martin + Grimm. Grimm might help us in the pen right away. And Martin could help over the next couple of years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by acerimusdux View Post
    I think I take Gose over Olt. But I might take Leonys Martin over either. Biggest problem with Gose is they put him on the roster at such a young age, I'm afraid he'll be out of options before he's ready.

Martin doesn't have Gose's speed, and he's 2 years older, and a better hitter now with a little more pop. And a safer bet to hit.

I like Gose in the long run, certainly in the long run the guy who is only 21 years old is the better bet. But I hate how he was handled. It reminds me of how the Mets rushed Carlos Gomez. And I think you'll get a similar result. I think you'll have to suffer through him scuffling for several years before emerging as a solid regular at age 25-26. Meaning Wright might be already in decline.

Maybe I'd go to the Rangers and ask for Martin + Grimm. Grimm might help us in the pen right away. And Martin could help over the next couple of years.
    Martin and Grimm and leave Olt out altogether? Well that doesn't seem to make any sense. Olt will most likely be the best hitter of them all.

vCash
    Way too much love for Olt imo.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Why? He hit 28 homers in 95 games in AA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rdg515 View Post
    Olivo is better than doing nothing...I say sign him and if they trade Dickey get a young catching prospect back in the deal.
    how is Olivo any different than Rod Barajas? Barajas had the occasional HR, but offered almost nothing else as a hitter, catcher or even runner (yes, I know, don't expect anything from a catcher)...Barajas was so bad that the Mets actually played better when Blanco or Thole was behind the plate...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    And is a righty. We all know we need some of those.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    And is a righty. We all know we need some of those.
    has he ever donned catcher's gear? Would he like to? That would seal the deal for me...

vCash
    He has the kind of work ethic and make-up to be a catcher, but that would be a waste.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    As a 23 year-old, while striking out 101 times.

Dallas McPherson hit 25 HR in 96 games in AA. Actually 20 HR in 68 games at age 23. Where is he now?

There's still some risk there with Olt. You don't know how those numbers will translate. At 3B, he's still worth the risk, because he's actually a good defender. Even if he hits only .245-.250, he'd be worth something.

In the outfield, Leonys Martin projects as the better player. He'll be a better fielder, should stick in CF, and there's a pretty decent chance he's a better hitter than Olt anyway. He just doesn't have as much power.

vCash
    Martin by the way in his 29 games in AA, didn't hit a bunch of HR, but still had a higher OPS than Olt did with all those HR.

Olt is a career .282 hitter with a .912 OPS in the minors. He's got power, but he's not likely to hit for average in MLB. Martin is a career .323 hitter with an .891 OPS in the minors. He won't hit a lot of HR, but can hit for average and play center field.

Granted, a lot of Martin's numbers there are from the PCL, but he was 3rd in the entire PCL in batting average and 2nd in OPS this year. The bat is legit. He's doing this straight out of Cuba, with his first exposure to pro ball coming just last year. He's a real professional hitter, as well as an actual good outfielder. Unlike Olt, he might be the Mets best overall outfielder from day one, the moment he steps on the field.

I'll take Olt if another team wants him in a 3-way. If we can flip him in a deal for Justin Upton, for example. But I have no special desire to add him to our farm system. Certainly not at the cost of our best starting pitcher.

Both Olt and Gose would have higher perfect world ceilings than Martin. But I don't like lottery tickets. Martin looks like the safer bet to me and he comes ready to win a job this spring. I'd especially rather have Martin and another prospect (the Rangers do have some depth) than just Olt.

vCash
    The other guy in the Rangers system to covet would be Luis Sardinas. He's a toolsy middle infielder with plus-plus speed who had a very strong second half in low A, and then tore up the AFL as a 19-year old. He's the highest upside guy there; I'd take him over Olt or Gose.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast