Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 108
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,061
    vCash
    1500
    ^I really wish you were actually Sandy Alderson.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bergen County by way of Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,234
    vCash
    1500
    Olivo is better than doing nothing...I say sign him and if they trade Dickey get a young catching prospect back in the deal.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Born in Brooklyn, New Jersey now.
    Posts
    1,439
    vCash
    1500
    No, not Olivo, please. I'm pretty sure that Sandy will attempt to trade for a right hand hitting catcher if we don't get one in a trade for Dickey. Meanwhile, however, I'd sign minor league free agent Jose Morales. Not much pop, but he can hit decently for average. Stash him in Las Vegas until we need an injury replacement.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,860
    vCash
    1500
    Olivo won't deliver much value wise but he is still a much better power bat than Thole.

    He can drive in 60 RBIS, and hit possibly 20 homers in a decent season. It wasn't like he was getting cheap home runs playing in Safeco.

    He won't do much else but anything is an upgrade offensively over Thole.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    116
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Mejia is not eligible to be a prospect anymore thus he was not on the list.

    The one thing about your post that is correct is that you aren't making any sense. I have no idea what your objective is here in this argument. If I was a Jays fan, I'd want TDA up as soon as possible with JPA traded while his value is highest. Buck is an adequate back-up who can get 100 PA or so. He is not as bad as he showed last year imo.
    We can get a much better deal then what you are offering.

    Just because we have an excess at the C position doesn't mean we are going to be giving away decent, cheap, and controllable catchers. AA is not in the charity business.

    As far as Mejia goes he's a failed prospect at this point. Maybe he's worth taking a flyer on but I'm not trading JPA for him.

    If I'm AA I take a look at what Martin got on the free market and I try to move JPA as part of a larger package for pitching or an starting 1B.

    SEA could be looking for catching help. They have good pitching prospects. Texas is another team. AA has a decent relationship with williams (CWS) they look like they might be losing AJ.

    Point is catching is right up there with SS and CF when it comes to positional scarcity and unlike Dickey he has him under control until 2017. There is zero urgency for AA to deal him.

    if the market doesn't develop for him (I don't know why it wouldn't - texas has already expressed interest) AA can keep him as insurance and leave TDA down in AAA for more seasoning or move buck and transition JPA into a platoon with Lind and backup C.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,860
    vCash
    1500
    ^^^You can make the same case about overvaluing a .275 OBP catcher last year (who only threw out 29% of runners trying to steal) who didn't do much more than hit for power.

    The fact is the Blue Jays have 3 possible starting catchers next year, one in which is their best hitting prospect. They will most likely look to deal one of them and the odd man out is likely to be JPA.

    I don't consider a pitcher with Mejia's potential upside a charity case either.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    116
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Our pen is stacked? it was the worst in baseball last year.
    The Bullpen actually performed quite well before injuries to Frasor, Santos and Perez destroyed the depth and then injuries to the starting rotation compounded the problem.

    Tell me who would you move out of the bullpen for Mejia?

    RP1: Sergio Santos
    RP2: Darren Oliver
    RP3: Brad Lincoln
    RP4: Steve Delabar
    RP5: Esmil Rogers
    RP6: Aaron Loup
    CL: Casey Janssen

    We also have Cecil and Jeffries fighting for a place in the bullpen as well. To be honest Jeffries arm and ability to induce swings and misses intrigues me more then Mejia at this point. If we traded for Mejia and carried an 8 man bullpen. Mejia would likely be 9th on the depth chart.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    15,501
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by boller4prez View Post
    We can get a much better deal then what you are offering.

    Just because we have an excess at the C position doesn't mean we are going to be giving away decent, cheap, and controllable catchers. AA is not in the charity business.

    As far as Mejia goes he's a failed prospect at this point. Maybe he's worth taking a flyer on but I'm not trading JPA for him.

    If I'm AA I take a look at what Martin got on the free market and I try to move JPA as part of a larger package for pitching or an starting 1B.

    SEA could be looking for catching help. They have good pitching prospects. Texas is another team. AA has a decent relationship with williams (CWS) they look like they might be losing AJ.

    Point is catching is right up there with SS and CF when it comes to positional scarcity and unlike Dickey he has him under control until 2017. There is zero urgency for AA to deal him.

    if the market doesn't develop for him (I don't know why it wouldn't - texas has already expressed interest) AA can keep him as insurance and leave TDA down in AAA for more seasoning or move buck and transition JPA into a platoon with Lind and backup C.
    You are really overvaluing JPA. .275 OBP last year, .275 career OBP. Unless a miracle makes him the best defensive catcher in the league all of the sudden, he kinda sucks.
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,860
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by boller4prez View Post
    The Bullpen actually performed quite well before injuries to Frasor, Santos and Perez destroyed the depth and then injuries to the starting rotation compounded the problem.

    Tell me who would you move out of the bullpen for Mejia?

    RP1: Sergio Santos
    RP2: Darren Oliver
    RP3: Brad Lincoln
    RP4: Steve Delabar
    RP5: Esmil Rogers
    RP6: Aaron Loup
    CL: Casey Janssen

    We also have Cecil and Jeffries fighting for a place in the bullpen as well. To be honest Jeffries arm and ability to induce swings and misses intrigues me more then Mejia at this point. If we traded for Mejia and carried an 8 man bullpen. Mejia would likely be 9th on the depth chart.
    Mejia is a potential SP pitching piece, not a bullpen piece.

    The Mets are using him out of the pen because they already have 5 SP.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    116
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    You are really overvaluing JPA. .275 OBP last year, .275 career OBP. Unless a miracle makes him the best defensive catcher in the league all of the sudden, he kinda sucks.
    OBP totally ignores JPA main asset, his power.

    Don't get me wrong JPA has his flaws (he's a slightly below average starting catcher imo) but I really think you guys are undervaluing JPA years control and the catching market in general.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,860
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    You are really overvaluing JPA. .275 OBP last year, .275 career OBP. Unless a miracle makes him the best defensive catcher in the league all of the sudden, he kinda sucks.
    29% of runners caught stealing too, although above league average even Kelly Shoppach threw out 32% of runners trying to steal.

    And we all know how great of a defensive catcher he was..
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-09-2012 at 02:30 AM.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,860
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by boller4prez View Post
    OBP totally ignores JPA main asset, his power.

    Don't get me wrong JPA has his flaws (he's a slightly below average starting catcher imo) but I really think you guys are undervaluing JPA years control and the catching market in general.
    Again Mejia is not insignificant, he's a potential SP piece who has very good upside.

    The fact is you guys are going to have eventually deal a catcher with D'Arnaud coming and although there is conflicting reports about when that is with his hitting prowess he should be up next year.

    Especially if he plays well to start the season in AAA next year.

    Anthopoulos knows that and Arencibia although a controllable piece isn't bowling anyone either with power being his main asset and not much else.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    116
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by acerimusdux View Post
    Mejia for Busk would bother me no less than Mejia for Arencibia.

    Not saying Buck is good, but I still think he's better than Arencibia.

    If the Jays somehow really believe Arencibia is their starting catcher, then if I'm Sandy I would inquire about Buck. With three catchers on their roster, the Jays will have to admit sooner or later that one of them is a backup. Until then, might as well start negotiations with Miguel Olivo.
    Hey if you want to pay buck 6 million coming off a down season and only have him for the year versus having JPA under control till 2017 and not even arb eligible till next year who am I to argue with you?


    I'd do that deal.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,860
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by boller4prez View Post
    Hey if you want to pay buck 6 million coming off a down season and only have him for the year versus having JPA under control till 2017 and not even arb eligible till next year who am I to argue with you?


    I'd do that deal.
    The 6 million dollar price tag is exactly the reason the Mets wouldn't do it.

    Buck is comparable to other catchers on the FA market and trade market that the Mets would probably look elsewheres if Buck is the man left standing in trade.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,893
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by boller4prez View Post
    Hey if you want to pay buck 6 million coming off a down season and only have him for the year versus having JPA under control till 2017 and not even arb eligible till next year who am I to argue with you?


    I'd do that deal.
    And why would Toronto want to pay him $6M if they really believe he's their 3rd best catcher. If that's the case, I would think they would be ready to give him away.

    I like that idea much better than dealing an actual prospect for a backup catcher.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •