Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by acerimusdux View Post
    Yeah true, B-R would have Arencibia the best of the three. But even there look at by how much. Even if I use B-R, and only look at the last 3 years, JPA comes to 0.91 WAR per 100 games, to 0.63 per Buck, to 0.34 for Thole.

So what is he getting you, an extra half win over Thole? You guys are seriously going to give up Mejia for an extra half win? I don't think B-R is right there, but even if they were, he's not worth all that much.
    This may sound old school, but JP will drive in more runs than Thole and help the offense a lot more. We need less singles hitters and more guys that could drive the ball. I think JP's defense is average, neither of the 3 are great.

The Mets need more talent. If JP can get lucky one season with BABIP, he can have a great season with the power he possesses.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    God knows what the fuss about Arencibia is.
    he's not named Thole, Nickeas, Johnson or Shoppach...pretty much the only criteria that a catcher worth less than $5 Mil a year needs to appear to be an improvement over the Mets stable of catchers...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I'd sign up for JP, Gose, and Syndergaard easily. Gives us two everyday players with good qualities and some bad ones, and a high-upside pitcher for the future.
    Yeah, but Snydergaard is the headliner there, and Gose the secondary piece. At that point JP is an interesting throw in.

I'm not saying we couldn't use the guy, but in a one-for-one trade, I'm maybe offering a guy like Edgin, Mazzoni, or Vaughn, not a top 10 prospect. I probably wouldn't even give up Den Dekker for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by acerimusdux View Post
    Yeah, but Snydergaard is the headliner there, and Gose the secondary piece. At that point JP is an interesting throw in.

I'm not saying we couldn't use the guy, but in a one-for-one trade, I'm maybe offering a guy like Edgin, Mazzoni, or Vaughn, not a top 10 prospect. I probably wouldn't even give up Den Dekker for him.
    Basically, but he has value since he can hit 25-30 HR at catcher and he's under control for 4 more seasons. Gose could develop into a solid lead-off hitter with elite defense and speed, and Syndergaard could slot in our 2015 rotation with maybe a guy like Fulmer.

vCash
    Arencibia and Davis make sense if they didn't cost too much and the Mets were considering Davis as a platoon type of guy for CF and maybe an occasional corner OF (since the Mets seem to only employ Lefty hitting OFers)...

Last 3 seasons, Davis has averaged .293 average with a .793 OPS vs LHP; plus he's had 130 steals in the past 3 seasons...Mets don't have a lot of CF candidates that will give you that vs LHP while playing a decent center...

vCash
    How is TDA not ready?
    Because no team in contention in their right mind would anoint a rookie catcher to direct their pitching staff to start the season. Hell even Buster Posey played behind Benjie Molina in his rookie year.

vCash
    Basically if JPA's getting traded the Jays are going to get something back that will help them as much as it would hurt them going from JPA to Buck. You may not like it, but that's what it is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kanersen View Post
    Because no team in contention in their right mind would anoint a rookie catcher to direct their pitching staff to start the season. Hell even Buster Posey played behind Benjie Molina in his rookie year.
    I disagree. That seems like a lame excuse.

Posey didn't start the year with the Giants because he didn't spend much time in AAA and there was no sense in rushing him. TDA has spent enough time in AAA and proved he can hit very well there. It's time to come up.

D'Arnaud and a veteran like Buck would be good enough. They can break him in slowly if they would like, but it makes little sense to keep Arencibia just to hand the job to TDA eventually.

vCash
    I disagree. That seems like a lame excuse.

Posey didn't start the year with the Giants because he didn't spend much time in AAA and there was no sense in rushing him. TDA has spent enough time in AAA and proved he can hit very well there. It's time to come up.

D'Arnaud and a veteran like Buck would be good enough. They can break him in slowly if they would like, but it makes little sense to keep Arencibia just to hand the job to TDA eventually.
    I'd really like to see your logic in explaining how Posey's 359 Triple A plate appearances are not enough, yet TDA's 303 Triple A plate appearences are more then enough - should be some really good extrapolations there in the explanation, i'm all ears.

vCash
    bottom line is that a hotshot mvp winning type prospect had to play second string in his rookie year on a championship contending team. As much as I believe in TDA, he doesn't have the pedigree of posey to be an MVP.

And if it's such a lame excuse, I would love to hear one rookie catcher that starts out as the starting catcher on a championship contending team in the last decade.

vCash
    I'd really like to see your logic in explaining how Posey's 359 Triple A plate appearances are not enough, yet TDA's 303 Triple A plate appearences are more then enough - should be some really good extrapolations there in the explanation, i'm all ears.
    Posey only had 151 PA in AAA before the 2010 season. TDA has 303 PA in AAA before next season. If you'd like, Buck can start the first month or so and then TDA can be called up for that extra year of service time.

vCash
    I was expecting some good extrapolations and you didn't disappoint. Yes Posey had 151 PA's in triple A before the 2010 season (2009). What you failed to mention is that he had 208 PA's in triple A the following season (2010) for a grand total of 359. He also had an OPS of 900 and 1000 in triple A in 2009 and 2010. But yes he clearly needed to have more seasoning due to a lack of production and plate PA's in triple A.

vCash
    And no I do not like the idea of Buck starting the season off at catcher on this Jay's team for the honor of getting a C+ prospect in return.

Like I said - if JPA's getting traded the Jays are going to get something back that will help them as much as it would hurt them going from JPA to Buck. You may not like it, but that's what it is.

vCash
    I was expecting some good extrapolations and you didn't disappoint. Yes Posey had 151 PA's in triple A before the 2010 season (2009). What you failed to mention is that he had 208 PA's in triple A the following season (2010) for a grand total of 359. He also had an OPS of 900 and 1000 in triple A in 2009 and 2010. But yes he clearly needed to have more seasoning due to a lack of production and plate PA's in triple A.
    I'm confused. I said that Posey needed more time in AAA because he didn't spend much time there in 2009. So it was logical to keep him in AAA for the start of 2010 to get him those extra 208 PA.

I think TDA is ready based on his production this year in AAA and the 303 PA he was able to accumulate. That's just my opinion though, I mean he is an elite catching prospect and he's going to be 24 so it should be time.

vCash
    And no I do not like the idea of Buck starting the season off at catcher on this Jay's team for the honor of getting a C+ prospect in return.

Like I said - if JPA's getting traded the Jays are going to get something back that will help them as much as it would hurt them going from JPA to Buck. You may not like it, but that's what it is.
    Would Mejia not help in the pen? High upside power arm.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast