Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Where Will Hamilton Sign?

Voters
178. You may not vote on this poll
  • Red Sox

17 9.55%
  • Rangers

40 22.47%
  • Yankees

29 16.29%
  • Mariners

37 20.79%
  • Orioles

10 5.62%
  • Other (specify)

45 25.28%
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Speaking of players helping attendance.

When the M's brought Griffey back in 09, it didn't help attendance, and everyone said it would.

It actually went down 200k from 08, even with bringing the franchise star back.

fans care for a few games, the first few of the season in April. And then they stop caring when the team sucks.
    Pretty much..

Novelty doesn't mean much when the team someone roots for blows.

Except if you are the Cubbies, their fans are so used to losing it doesn't matter.

But even they have taken a hit the last 2 or 3 years.

vCash

When the M's brought Griffey back in 09, it didn't help attendance, and everyone said it would.

fans care for a few games, the first few of the season in April. And then they stop caring when the team sucks.
    So we shouldnt sign anyone and let it suck even more? How does that make any sense? Hamilton could make us not suck. .500 team looks a lot better than 75 wins does.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Pretty much..

Novelty doesn't mean much when the team someone roots for blows.

Except if you are the Cubbies, their fans are so used to losing it doesn't matter.

But even they have taken a hit the last 2 or 3 years.
    Coming from a Met fan

vCash
    I agree that only winning brings attendance, but I still don't see how Josh Hamilton is any way a bad signing for the Mariners at 4 years. It's not like the Angels with Pujols or the Tigers with Fielder. I understand if people were talking 7 year deal, but I doubt the Mariners would go even close to that high.

I'm not sure if he'll go to the Mariners (I don't think Texas really wants him that bad TBH), but I think people that say a power hitter signing a 4 year contract at 90-100 million dollars is that big of a risk... What's riskier, signing that deal, or going into next season with the same too young roster you had? This team has tons of solid talent, but no one that can hit in the 3, 4, or 5. Hamilton is your 3, Montero could easily develop into a 4 or 5. Plus you got tons of pitching, and the Mariners always seem to have a good bullpen (something Big Z is very good at is discovering cheap relievers with big arms).

I'm so tired of people acting like the season is decided in baseball before it starts. I'm sure you all picked the A's to win the AL West. This is a young team that could very well break out next season. It's got some talent, and is a few moves away from making things competitive.

They're not a disaster like the Astros...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mtf View Post
    Jeffy25, you're forgetting that the Mariners fans want Hamilton because he'll make them a more entertaining fourth place team. Big names sell tickets in Seattle, apparently.
    I can almost guarantee it would help.

Remember that most fans dont think like you so you cant act like they do. People will come see Josh Hamilton a lot more than they will to see the same team as last year.

Casual fans dont understand rebuilding. They will see that we didnt do anything, and not give a ****. If we get Josh, they will be excited about finally getting a star player.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    Coming from a Met fan
    Well that's my point.

We have sucked since 2009, eventually it matters to the fans if you aren't winning.

We play in the biggest market in major league baseball and barely broke over 2 million fans this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ztilzer31 View Post
    I agree that only winning brings attendance, but I still don't see how Josh Hamilton is any way a bad signing for the Mariners at 4 years. It's not like the Angels with Pujols or the Tigers with Fielder. I understand if people were talking 7 year deal, but I doubt the Mariners would go even close to that high.

I'm not sure if he'll go to the Mariners (I don't think Texas really wants him that bad TBH), but I think people that say a power hitter signing a 4 year contract at 90-100 million dollars is that big of a risk... What's riskier, signing that deal, or going into next season with the same too young roster you had? This team has tons of solid talent, but no one that can hit in the 3, 4, or 5. Hamilton is your 3, Montero could easily develop into a 4 or 5. Plus you got tons of pitching, and the Mariners always seem to have a good bullpen (something Big Z is very good at is discovering cheap relievers with big arms).

I'm so tired of people acting like the season is decided in baseball before it starts. I'm sure you all picked the A's to win the AL West. This is a young team that could very well break out next season. It's got some talent, and is a few moves away from making things competitive.

They're not a disaster like the Astros...
    Good point. We have a more talented team on paper than they did at the time too.

If Josh can give us 5 wins, we trade for another bat that gets us 3, and guys like Montero, Ackley, Smoak all add a win or two, thats over 10 wins right there.

vCash
    So we shouldnt sign anyone and let it suck even more? How does that make any sense? Hamilton could make us not suck. .500 team looks a lot better than 75 wins does.
    Does 6 games really matter that much when you are a 75 win team otherwise?

The impression of winning doesn't bring people back like winning itself.

The Mets were 8 games over .500 in 2010 at the all star break, and 6 games over last year at the break..

Did it do anything attendance wise?

vCash
    cubs plz

vCash

Hamilton will definitely put more fans in Safeco, not saying they'll average 40,000 a game, but more than they have been the past couple years.
    Baseball as a whole is declining with fans. Every year the total attendance for MLB goes down. Its sad but true. Probably because its so ****ing expensive to go to a ballgame now

vCash
    Did you guys sign a star? Nope.

I disagree that Josh wont help us win next year. It wont be the impression, it will be actually winning.

Plus all the bandwagoners around here might come back.

vCash
    Mariners Fans KEEP PUSHING YOU GUYS ARE CLOSE!!! You guys need to sign Josh Hamilton or else say hello Oklahoma City!!

vCash
    Did you guys sign a star? Nope.

I disagree that Josh wont help us win next year. It wont be the impression, it will be actually winning.
    He's a 4 WAR player the last 2 seasons who has missed 84 games over the last 3 years.

Of course he will help in some respect but i don't think dramatically enough to matter unless you have more pieces around him.

vCash
    I can almost guarantee it would help.

Remember that most fans dont think like you so you cant act like they do. People will come see Josh Hamilton a lot more than they will to see the same team as last year.

Casual fans dont understand rebuilding. They will see that we didnt do anything, and not give a ****. If we get Josh, they will be excited about finally getting a star player.
    Yeah I agree, most fans aren't like me and that's what I was basing my argument upon. Most of them will only go to games if the home team is a contender, whereas I go to about 10-15 home games most years regardless.

Josh Hamilton won't make the Mariners a contender, he'll just make them a better fourth place team than they currently are. It would be equally ridiculous if the Cubs, Marlins, Twins or Rockies signed him for example.

vCash
    See I used to bring up the WAR too but I now think he is better than that. Can't use it as a be all end all. The dude puts up massive numbers. We can't leave the worst offense in the league as it is.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast