Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Where Will Hamilton Sign?

Voters
178. You may not vote on this poll
  • Red Sox

17 9.55%
  • Rangers

40 22.47%
  • Yankees

29 16.29%
  • Mariners

37 20.79%
  • Orioles

10 5.62%
  • Other (specify)

45 25.28%
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    You guys don't know much about the Seattle fanbase. We were last in attendance last year, and it will probably stay that way. We need an impact player.
    I'll be the first to say that Seattle sports fans are pretty crappy. Tons of fair weather fans.

Morse is a secondary piece. He isn't gonna be a huge impact bat like Hamilton. We can get him and Hamilton, and keep 3/4 of our top pitching specs.

We can't just sit back and do nothing.

I am against Hamilton for more than 4. 100%. But I am for him for 4 years and under $100M. There's people in the Ms forum that want him for 7/175 if that's what it takes, and I get **** for saying that's nuts. I am one of the more skeptical. That should tell you something about our fan base.
    I'm pretty sure one of the Astros and/or Marlins will have a lower attendance than the Mariners this season.

vCash
    You guys don't know much about the Seattle fanbase. We were last in attendance last year, and it will probably stay that way. We need an impact player.

I'll be the first to say that Seattle sports fans are pretty crappy. Tons of fair weather fans.
    Do Seattle fans really come out to the stadium consistently to see one star player on a losing team? If that's the case, then does it drive up revenue enough to make the theoretical Hamilton contract pay for itself?

vCash

Morse is a secondary piece. He isn't gonna be a huge impact bat like Hamilton. We can get him and Hamilton, and keep 3/4 of our top pitching specs.

I am against Hamilton for more than 4. 100%. But I am for him for 4 years and under $100M. There's people in the Ms forum that want him for 7/175 if that's what it takes, and I get **** for saying that's nuts. I am one of the more skeptical. That should tell you something about our fan base.
    I actually do know it pretty well since I lived in Seattle for a year. It is pretty much non-existent. But simply signing Hamilton will not keep attendance up long-term. In order for that to happen the Mariners have to start winning consistently. At this juncture the best thing for the Mariners to do is sit back and watch their young players develop and maybe add a couple small pieces. Zduriencik will likely lose his job after this season unless he makes a big acquisition to improve the offense, but what's good for Zduriencik isn't necessarily good for the Mariners.

The point is moot though since the Rangers are definitely re-signing him after missing out on Greinke.

vCash
    Now that Greinke's been signed, all attention goes to Hamilton

vCash
    It has been repeatedly proven that players do not improve attendance in the MLB. Only winning improves attendance, never players.

You aren't doing nothing. You are letting your team develop and then making decisions based on the success and position of your team at a time when those decisions can be better influenced. Signing Hamilton is premature for the team. It isn't doing nothing. It's just not making a bad signing.

Usually, the best moves in baseball are the moves you don't make.

Most fan bases just want stars and want payroll to be just whatever, because it doesn't affect the individual fans. But it's a near sighted view point. Hamilton doesn't improve the M's enough to spend the money, and you are better off taking the 12th overall pick this year, and evaluating your team in 12 months from now in an honest perspective.

You shouldn't give multi-year deals to guys over 30 first of all. But it can be justified if you are already a perennial contender with an opening at that players position with no one to fill it. Two major X's, and Hamilton has both of them easily with the M's

vCash
    Phillies really do make the most sense. Aging team that has a small window to contend and holes in the corner outfield position that has the financial capabilities to maintain a high payroll.

Props to Fly-Eagles-Fly for the Sig

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    It has been repeatedly proven that players do not improve attendance in the MLB. Only winning improves attendance, never players.

You aren't doing nothing. You are letting your team develop and then making decisions based on the success and position of your team at a time when those decisions can be better influenced. Signing Hamilton is premature for the team. It isn't doing nothing. It's just not making a bad signing.

Usually, the best moves in baseball are the moves you don't make.

Most fan bases just want stars and want payroll to be just whatever, because it doesn't affect the individual fans. But it's a near sighted view point. Hamilton doesn't improve the M's enough to spend the money, and you are better off taking the 12th overall pick this year, and evaluating your team in 12 months from now in an honest perspective.

You shouldn't give multi-year deals to guys over 30 first of all. But it can be justified if you are already a perennial contender with an opening at that players position with no one to fill it. Two major X's, and Hamilton has both of them easily with the M's
    sooo much of what you are saying is

did you see the MOTO last year? jaso, seager, montero? who else is a legit 3-5 hitter in this FA market. this isnt the roid era, there is not going to be 40hr guys every winter and we have everything in our system but a cleanup guy.

10 consecutive years declining attendance, dont think the fanbase can use a name to get excited about?, 10 years of not making the playoffs and we have the $ to spend and we should sit on our hands? this isnt a bottom market team, we have a top 1/3rd revenue due to a regional and international fanbase.

and ur trying to put in stone that he leads to a 5 game increase , when you have montero, seager, saunders, ackley all at ascending points in their career, dont think is an added benefit to their development?, not to mention the pitching that is up and on the way... dont think in the next couple years a couple other vets may be influenced to come to SEA who otherwise wouldnt? since hamilton is a HOF caliber talent, you think at 34 he is all the sudden going to be chopped liver, there are guys like ryan howard, albert, fielder, arod and others who are in much more crippling deals.

we are better off taking the 12th pick in the draft and you say hamilton is risky?

u root for a winner bud, im a diehard Ms fan, there is no promising what will happen either way, but if the market for him is as reported we NEED him.... go away with your subjective opinion and quit passing it off like its gospel.
    Last edited by Rain City; 12-08-2012 at 10:31 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain City View Post

did you see the MOTO last year? jaso, seager, montero? who else is a legit 3-5 hitter in this FA market. this isnt the roid era, there is not going to be 40hr guys every winter and we have everything in our system but a cleanup guy.

10 consecutive years declining attendance, dont think the fanbase can use a name to get excited about?, 10 years of not making the playoffs and we have the $ to spend and we should sit on our hands? this isnt a bottom market team, we have a top 1/3rd revenue due to a regional and international fanbase.

and ur trying to put in stone that he leads to a 5 game increase , when you have montero, seager, saunders, ackley all at ascending points in their career, dont think is an added benefit to their development?, not to mention the pitching that is up and on the way... dont think in the next couple years a couple other vets may be influenced to come to SEA who otherwise wouldnt? since hamilton is a HOF caliber talent, you think at 34 he is all the sudden going to be chopped liver, there are guys like ryan howard, albert, fielder, arod and others who are in much more crippling deals.

we are better off taking the 12th pick in the draft and you say hamilton is risky?

u root for a winner bud, im a diehard Ms fan, there is no promising what will happen either way, but if the market for him is as reported we NEED him.... go away with your subjective opinion and quit passing it off like its gospel.
    It's not gospel. It's a philosophy to what has been shown to work in assembling good, long term, competitive teams. I choose to agree with what has shown to work consistently.

There is only one team that I can think of that added a big named free agent (expensive) at a bad time and it still managed to work out.

Nationals with signing Jayson Werth

But, they also had top draft picks helping out (Harper, Strasburg) so it's still a little different, and a good overall team coming along (Desmond, Zimmerman, Zimmerman). Very very rarely can you just sign a player and depend on him to produce enough for you offensively, and then you build around him. And the Nationals sucked for the first year anyway.

You could also say maybe the Giants with Zito, since they have won 2 WS championships with him, even though he has had nothing to do with their success. Imagine what they could have done if they didn't have to commit to these guys over these years. Both teams would have been better off without these guys.

The M's are not close enough to winning that would make this signing look like a good option for them. He will likely look like a bad contract to the team within 18 months.

vCash
    Jeffy25, you're forgetting that the Mariners fans want Hamilton because he'll make them a more entertaining fourth place team. Big names sell tickets in Seattle, apparently.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain City View Post

Didn't the Mariners just have a player named Ichiro Suzuki on their team? He didn't seem to help attendance very much. Also, Josh Hamilton is not a hall of fame caliber player.

vCash
    Be that as it may! Still for someone like Hamilton you bite the bullet! As a diehard M's fan myself I can tell you a signing of this magnitude should take place.. Even if it means we miss out on the 12th overall pick.. We've been starved of a cleanup hitter for quite a while now.

Playstation 3 handle: Ryde4Life

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GA16Angels View Post
    Didn't the Mariners just have a player named Ichiro Suzuki on their team? He didn't seem to help attendance very much. Also, Josh Hamilton is not a hall of fame caliber player.
    well, I mean, he'd been there for 10 years.. he wasn't exactly "flashy" or "exciting" these past few years..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GA16Angels View Post
    Ichiro did help our attendance Hamilton would help our attendance, the main reason people didn't go to games is because our pathetic offensive numbers.

Playstation 3 handle: Ryde4Life

vCash
    Ichiro actually did help our attendance last year, but i do agree that winning is the best and most significant way to have you're attendance rise

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tmacsc2 View Post
    Ichiro actually did help our attendance last year, but i do agree that winning is the best and most significant way to have you're attendance rise
    Speaking of players helping attendance.

When the M's brought Griffey back in 09, it didn't help attendance, and everyone said it would.

It actually went down 200k from 08, even with bringing the franchise star back.

fans care for a few games, the first few of the season in April. And then they stop caring when the team sucks.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast