Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NY_Heartbreak View Post
    Acer got it. Flores can play third base and really only third base, without having his defense take away from his offense. David Wright is now a Met for life. Now is the time to sell high on Flores, and I love Flores.
    I'd keep him around a little longer. There are still people out there who think he's not as good a prospect as Mike Olt.

Where I want Flores this spring training, is right there at 3B taking reps alongside David Wright. I want him following Wright around all camp. I want him working on his footwork at 3B, and convincing people by the end of this season that he can not only be an acceptable defender there, but that he can actually be good. I'm confident the bat is going to be good, he only just turned 21 a couple of months ago. You aren't going to hurt yourself hanging onto this kid until he's 22 or 23. Assuming he's ready for a big league job by then, I'm not worried about if that is going to come with another team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NY_Heartbreak View Post
    Sure it would definitely help for him to play more games at third base. Although I would counter by offering Mike Olt as an example. Olt is being offered for top tier pitching help. Olt is blocked by Adrian Beltre. It seems that his value is still high. Or high enough.
    That's a fair point.

I guess I'd like to see Flores become more established before shopping him. I'd also like to see if we can use him to fill one of our holes.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by acerimusdux View Post
    I'd keep him around a little longer. There are still people out there who think he's not as good a prospect as Mike Olt.

Where I want Flores this spring training, is right there at 3B taking reps alongside David Wright. I want him following Wright around all camp. I want him working on his footwork at 3B, and convincing people by the end of this season that he can not only be an acceptable defender there, but that he can actually be good. I'm confident the bat is going to be good, he only just turned 21 a couple of months ago. You aren't going to hurt yourself hanging onto this kid until he's 22 or 23. Assuming he's ready for a big league job by then, I'm not worried about if that is going to come with another team.
    Why wouldnt you want to see if the kid can be a capable left fielder?
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Why wouldnt you want to see if the kid can be a capable left fielder?
    He's too slow. So is Olt, by the way (don't let them fool you).

vCash
    He's too slow. So is Olt, by the way (don't let them fool you).
    I keep hearing that. But i can't get away from the fact the kid was a shortstop his entire life until last season. That alone tells me he must have the athletic ability to play a competent corner outfield.

Maybe I'll change my mind when I actually see him.

vCash
    You need speed to man the OF in Citi, someone like Duda, for example doesn't really have a chance to be productive player out there, because his awful defense cancels out any offense.

vCash
    Yes. Always yes.

vCash
    Ther Mets won't trade away prospcets because they're dirt cheap to run for 5-6 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Ther Mets won't trade away prospcets because they're dirt cheap to run for 5-6 years.
    If you can pull yourself away from your agenda for a minute -- and please, I'm not saying your agenda isn't valid because it probably is -- you'll realize it's a good thing to hold onto prospects who are "dirt cheap" when they can be utilized to productively fill holes.

We know Flores can hit. We don't know if he can field anywhere other than third base.

Wouldn't it make sense to find out?

I'm going to ask a favor of you here, McFly. Humor me by responding without going back to your agenda which I will concede is valid.

Thanks.

vCash
    If you can pull yourself away from your agenda for a minute -- and please, I'm not saying your agenda isn't valid because it probably is -- you'll realize it's a good thing to hold onto prospects who are "dirt cheap" when they can be utilized to productively fill holes.

We know Flores can hit. We don't know if he can field anywhere other than third base.

Wouldn't it make sense to find out?

I'm going to ask a favor of you here, McFly. Humor me by responding without going back to your agenda which I will concede is valid.

Thanks.

Yes it is a good thing, in general. With the way the Mets have failed to produce posi prospects however, ie they usually flop badly or they get here and they're 26 and limited, I would prefer they cashed in say Flores whose only real posi is 3B.

To be honest I am sick and tired of the prospect position merry-go-round. Look at the evidence, the last kid we messed round with because he couldn't play defense anywhere, has only developed into a just-about-ok 2B - overall.

Is it worth spending 3-4 years messing round with Flores? I think not. And please, don't say 'It won't take that long' because the Mets set their minds on one course of action (finding a position for Murphy is a great example) they will continue with it come hell or high water.

If you're giving a 21 year old another added pressure, don't expect great results, there are lots of 3B needy teams, a quality 3B is one of the areas in the game where supply vastly exceeds demand.

When was the last time the Mets changed the position of a prospect who went on to become a 'big bat' whilst also playing good defense? I assume they're talking the OF, we already know this kid is pretty slow.

Don't over think it, we have a good 3B for another 8 years, he is surplus to reqs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    What about Flop-Mart?

People were talking that LM, Gomez and Floppy would be our future OF, only one has become a viable starter, and that was after years of development in Minny.
    That Mets outfield would of consisted of Milly, Gomey & Floppy, sounds like a Disney animated movie in the making.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVER SEAVER View Post
    That Mets outfield would of consisted of Milly, Gomey & Floppy, sounds like a Disney animated movie in the making.

vCash
    Funny thing is, an outfield of Fernando, Milledge, and Gomez would very likely be better than what the Mets are planning to run out there in 2013.

vCash
    Funny thing is, an outfield of Fernando, Milledge, and Gomez would very likely be better than what the Mets are planning to run out there in 2013.
    Depends how you look at it. F-Mart wouldn't be on the field so he's out, Milledge is so bad he's in Japan because nobody wants him and only Gomez is respectable out of the three but his career OBP is putrid at .294

vCash

I'd support this idea. Flores' value would definitely be higher if he can play an above average third base.

That's a fair point.

I guess I'd like to see Flores become more established before shopping him. I'd also like to see if we can use him to fill one of our holes.
    If only he could play second base at a major league level.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast