Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightsport View Post
    Ok, I'll put it this way. Name me 5 players in modern history to have seasons worth close to $18 million a year at that range of age.

Jeter was mentioned as an outlier.
    Bonds
    Clemens
    Andy
    Mariano
    Jeter

What do I win besides a can of juice!?
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

I stink.

vCash
    No one is concerned about his health? Guy has only 2 full season where he was healthy... No one is concerned about how he's gonna age with the drugs he took? I'll take Cano longterm over Hamilton.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    Bonds
    Clemens
    Andy
    Mariano
    Jeter

What do I win besides a can of juice!?
    Wrong. Jeter has a Cumulative WAR of 8.3 his last three years, the best of that age range of the 5 you mentioned.

going back to 1980, if you count Bonds, there are a total of 7 guys with a cumulative WAR of 12 or more in that age range.

Bonds
    Edgar Martinez
    Mike Schmidt
    Moises Alou
    Ozzie Smith
    Chipper Jones
    Joe Morgan
    Wade Boggs.

This is the company cano would need to be in in order to be close to the value of his contract in the last 3 years.

vCash
    it astonishes me that as we watch Arod fall apart at 36 years of age, some people still want to give out huge mega deals that will take players into their late 30's.

Its just not worth it, it almost always backfires and you end up paying close to $200m for a couple of good years of production.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee View Post
    Do you know how to read? The $189M plan is not until 2014, not this season. It is virtually impossible to trade Cano or Granderson because they are in the last year of their contracts and we will only be able to trade with other contending teams. It is possible, but difficult. Having Grandy, Cano, and Hamilton is possible...just for this year though.
    Damn, you're right, I must be illiterate. That's why I'm not writing anything that resembles coherent English.

Of course I know that the $189MM plan is for 2014. If anything, that makes it easier to trade Cano/Granderson. When a player is in a contract year, the team is much less reluctant to trade him. The Yankees will definitely have interest from multiple teams regarding both.

As for the part where I said I'd rather just scrap the $189MM plan, I meant going forward, so we could sign Hamilton AND keep Cano. In context, that should have been crystal clear.
    O-H-I-O!

Welcome home, Urban

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees 1903 View Post
    Cano is no A-Rod alright. A-Rod hit .321/.412/.610 with 48 HR, 130 RBI and a 436 wOBA, 174 wRC+, 9.1 rWAR/9.1 fWAR at Cano's age. Was also the AL MVP.
    A-Rod had a best friend name Yuri who had a friend name Roid
    Mark Teixeira #25
    R- 0 H-2 HR-0 RBI-1 BB-1 SO-0 AVG-.667 OBP-.750 SLG-.667

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBadOwl View Post
    Damn, you're right, I must be illiterate. That's why I'm not writing anything that resembles coherent English.

Of course I know that the $189MM plan is for 2014. If anything, that makes it easier to trade Cano/Granderson. When a player is in a contract year, the team is much less reluctant to trade him. The Yankees will definitely have interest from multiple teams regarding both.

As for the part where I said I'd rather just scrap the $189MM plan, I meant going forward, so we could sign Hamilton AND keep Cano. In context, that should have been crystal clear.
    This is where we disagree. Teams who have players in their walk-off season would much rather trade those players, especially knowing they will not be able to re-sign them once the season is over.

It is finding a team to trade with that is willing to take on a rental player and give up prospects before, is where it becomes difficult.

I just find it unlikely.

vCash
    i'm half and half about this i like the idea of bringing Hamilton's bat into the lineup but i'm concerned about his Past.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightsport View Post
    Wrong. Jeter has a Cumulative WAR of 8.3 his last three years, the best of that age range of the 5 you mentioned.

going back to 1980, if you count Bonds, there are a total of 7 guys with a cumulative WAR of 12 or more in that age range.

Bonds
    Edgar Martinez
    Mike Schmidt
    Moises Alou
    Ozzie Smith
    Chipper Jones
    Joe Morgan
    Wade Boggs.

This is the company cano would need to be in in order to be close to the value of his contract in the last 3 years.
    I like Cano's defense and do not think it will take a big hit as he gets older because he doesn't seem to use speed, just good placement and anticipation. He also doesn't get hits from legging them out as we all know. I understand the worry that bat speed will slow, but i like the compactness of his swing to help it from slowing too much.

That being said I'm sure he will be overpaid slightly towards the end, but that kinda just needs to happen with any contract of a superstar player

EDIT: I'd take my chances with Cano over Hamilton, who is a bit of a headcase it seems, and who knows what those drugs did to speed up his body breaking down

"We the best in the league, Tony!"

vCash
    Give him a monstrous 3 year deal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LAcowBOMBER View Post
    I like Cano's defense and do not think it will take a big hit as he gets older because he doesn't seem to use speed, just good placement and anticipation. He also doesn't get hits from legging them out as we all know. I understand the worry that bat speed will slow, but i like the compactness of his swing to help it from slowing too much.

That being said I'm sure he will be overpaid slightly towards the end, but that kinda just needs to happen with any contract of a superstar player

EDIT: I'd take my chances with Cano over Hamilton, who is a bit of a headcase it seems, and who knows what those drugs did to speed up his body breaking down
    its also about staying healthy though, not just about tools. Alot of guys start breaking down at 33, 34 after 14-15 years of playing so many games.

Lets be honest, Arod is still a damn good 3rd baseman, he just can't stay on the field anymore. We're already see Tex start getting hit with nagging injuries, heck even CC is starting to worry me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    its also about staying healthy though, not just about tools. Alot of guys start breaking down at 33, 34 after 14-15 years of playing so many games.

Lets be honest, Arod is still a damn good 3rd baseman, he just can't stay on the field anymore. We're already see Tex start getting hit with nagging injuries, heck even CC is starting to worry me.
    That's where I think Cano's lackadaisical play that annoys us Yankees fans from time to time will help him. I understand that anyone can break down, but I think his body takes less of a beating when compared to others and he has a good streak of staying healthy already which a lot of players even just at his age can't say

"We the best in the league, Tony!"

vCash
    Here is what goes down:

Texas wants Grienke and will sign him. However, they do not want to sign both him and Hamilton. So they will trade for Justin Upton in my opinion to replace Josh.

With Texas out, Josh will be down to maybe 2 teams (M's and Yanks). I have heard the Red Sox are in the mix but unless they deal off Ellsbury I don't think they really are.

The M's will likely offer a bigger contract than the Yankees at least in years, but the dollar amount will be higher in NY. Josh will have a choice to make, go to Seattle and troll away on a non playoff team and watch his HR production drop because of the giant stadium. Or come to NY and be a Hero..

Josh to the Yanks.

Yanks trade Grandy to Seattle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thump View Post
    Here is what goes down:

Texas wants Grienke and will sign him. However, they do not want to sign both him and Hamilton. So they will trade for Justin Upton in my opinion to replace Josh.

With Texas out, Josh will be down to maybe 2 teams (M's and Yanks). I have heard the Red Sox are in the mix but unless they deal off Ellsbury I don't think they really are.

The M's will likely offer a bigger contract than the Yankees at least in years, but the dollar amount will be higher in NY. Josh will have a choice to make, go to Seattle and troll away on a non playoff team and watch his HR production drop because of the giant stadium. Or come to NY and be a Hero..

Josh to the Yanks.

Yanks trade Grandy to Seattle.
    What if you are wrong?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemoes View Post
    No one is concerned about his health? Guy has only 2 full season where he was healthy... No one is concerned about how he's gonna age with the drugs he took? I'll take Cano longterm over Hamilton.
    Evidently not. The guy is already getting hit with injuries and back stuff. You know, injuries that linger with a player as he ages. And since he did all that stuff early on, he will break down faster and that is already being seen.

Official Dolphins Draft Guru '11 & NFL Draft Guru '12

Enjoy hilarious podcasts about popculture, wrestling, and videogames? Check out the lasertime network at lasertimepodcast.com

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast