Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Japan to give U.S. $5 Million for Tsunami Debri

Japan's government announced on Friday it would give $5 million to the U.S. to clean up debris expected to wash ashore from the March 2011 earthquake and tsunami in Japan.

The funds, donated to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Marine Debris Program, will be used for removal of debris, disposal fees, cleanup supplies, detection and monitoring.

NOAA anticipates distributing funds to affected regions and will work to determine immediate needs and plan for future applications, according to a press release.

Since the disaster, NOAA has been leading efforts with federal, state and local partners to coordinate a response, collect data, assess the debris and reduce possible impacts to natural resources and coastal communities.

Debris from the disaster has drifted across the Pacific and reached shorelines in the U.S. and Canada. In July, NOAA provided $50,000 each to Alaska, Hawaii, Washington, Oregon and California to support response efforts, according to a press release.
    http://www.dailybreeze.com/californi...tsunami-debris

I understand it was their (Japanese) debris, but it was a Natural Disaster.

Do you think Japan shoud've paid the U.S. anything?

To me, I understand $5 million is chump change to a country, but it's sort of a punishment/reparation for something that was not their responsibility. We could've easily funded this cleanup of our Western shores w/out Japan having to provide relief.

vCash
    money is money

vCash
    Yeah. I guess so.

We should be able to take care of a 60 ton washed up dock w/out relief.

vCash
    That's pretty dang cool of them. If they're in a position to do so, which they are, then yes it's the right thing to do imo.

vCash
    they should just keep it.they're mess from it is alot bigger and more expensive than ours...but its still nice of them

vCash
    It's a goodwill gesture. Like you said, 5 mil is chump change to a thriving country like the US or Japan, but regardless of the amount, it makes for a nice press release, "Look how classy Japan is."

vCash
    I am not surprised by this, honor is very important to the Japanese people. My dad was air force, I lived in Japan for 3 years when I was a kid.

vCash
    Seems like japan offered it, the US didnt ask for it.

vCash
    Would they be offended if we don't take the money? They had a national crisis. If we can spend billions and trillions of dollars in the Middle East where they hate us then what is $5 million to an ally....

vCash
    So how many of these payments are we gonna get? And they can pay us for their radiation while they're at it.

R.I.P. Dad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHole:24639906
    So how many of these payments are we gonna get? And they can pay us for their radiation while they're at it.
    Same can be said towards us.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^ESPN and PSD Agrees

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHole View Post
    Seriously....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHole View Post
    Not shocked that you're a Raiders fan.

NFC North: Leading the League in Stupid.

vCash
    Is this the first time the US received aid?

vCash
    the US should take it. it's not like we have a ton of money to spend as it is and if we wanted to we could just ignore the whole thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast