Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playoff push

vCash

Playoff push

With 4 games left, I think it's time to at least think about this team making the playoffs. I'm not taking anything for granted, but the team is in an okay position right now.

We are essentially battling with Pit and Cincinnati...

Here's 2 things that you should read:

Playoff plot thickens

While the Colts are holding steady with the AFC's fifth playoff seed, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati also won Sunday to improve to 7-5, just one game behind. Every other team is three games behind the Colts.

Should either the Steelers or Bengals pull even with the Colts, the first applicable tiebreaker is conference win percentage.

The Colts are 5-3 (.625), the Bengals 5-5 (.500) and the Steelers 4-5 (.444). Each of the Colts' last four games are against AFC foes, including a home-and-home with Houston, which is tied with Atlanta for the league's best mark at 11-1.
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...orylines-watch

And this one is from a Bengals perspective, which obviously relates to us:

Going into the final four weeks of the season, things would have been easier for the Bengals had the Colts and Steelers not rallied to win their games last Sunday. Instead, the AFC’s stretch run presents a variety of scenarios that might make Nate Silver’s head spin.

Here are the two inalienable facts though that stand out – the Bengals have to keep winning and the Dec. 23 game at Pittsburgh in essence is a playoff game.

With four weeks left to go and trying to peer into the crystal ball, here are some answers to some of the common playoff questions that have started to come up:

Who has clinched playoff spots in the AFC?

Houston, New England and Denver wrapped up spots last weekend. The Patriots and Broncos, who are both 9-3, have wrapped up their divisions and the Texans (11-1) have a three-game lead on the Colts (8-4).Houston and Indianapolis will meet two times in the final three weeks.

So how many teams are fighting for the final three spots?

Right now its four teams – Ravens (9-3), Colts (8-4), Steelers (7-5) and Bengals (7-5). Baltimore can clinch a playoff spot this week with a win at Washington and losses by either Cincinnati or Pittsburgh. On Sunday, he Bengals host 6-6 Dallas and the Steelers host San Diego (4-8).

Could Baltimore not make the playoffs?

Yes, but the Ravens would have to lose out which is possible. Baltimore’s final four games are at Washington (6-6), home to Denver and the Giants (7-5) before ending the season at the Bengals (7-5).

Baltimore’s opponents are a combined 29-19 compared to the Steelers 21-27 and Bengals 25-23.

Can the Bengals still win the division?

Yes, but they would have to win out and finish 11-5 while Baltimore would have to lose three of its final four games and go 10-6. If the Bengals and Ravens would finish with 11-5 records, Baltimore would still win the tiebreaker based on record in division games (Ravens would be 4-2, Bengals 3-3).

If there was a three-way tie in the AFC North between the Steelers, Ravens and Bengals, the Ravens would still have the edge.

But what if the Bengals beat the Steelers but lose to either Dallas or Philadelphia and they finish tied at 10-6?

Bengals would win the tiebreaker based on record in conference games. Bengals would be 7-5 and Pittsburgh 6-6. It goes to the fourth tiebreaker because the teams would have split their two games, have 3-3 division records and 9-5 in common games.

What if the Bengals beat the Steelers but they both finish 9-7?

Under that scenario it all depends on who the losses are to. If one of the Bengals losses was to the Ravens and the Steelers beat the Browns, Pittsburgh would win the tiebreaker based on division record (Steelers 3-3, Bengals 2-4).

Could three AFC North teams to make the playoffs for the second straight year?

Yes, but the Colts would need to falter down the stretch. Even if Indianapolis went 2-2, they are in pretty good position because that would make them 7-5 in conference games. The Bengals and Steelers already have five conference losses.

What if the Bengals lost to the Steelers but still went 3-1 down the stretch?

At 10-6 under that case, most likely they would be on the outside looking in. They would need Baltimore to lose out or Indianapolis to lose three of its final four.
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2012/12/04/14165/

Use this thread to talk about us maybe making the playoffs. First thing's first.. we gotta take care of business at home against Tennessee.
    #3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Vontae Davis looks like Bumgarner of the San Francisco Giants. He's throwing a no hitter out there tonight" - Jon Gruden

vCash
    Monday night in NE could cause a complete positioning flustercluck at the top with NE, DEN, and BAL within a game of HOU, if they lose. We cannot lose to TEN, or anyone to have a shot at the division, and first round home playoff game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ponderingpluto View Post
    Monday night in NE could cause a complete positioning flustercluck at the top with NE, DEN, and BAL within a game of HOU, if they lose. We cannot lose to TEN, or anyone to have a shot at the division, and first round home playoff game.
    I've pretty much given up the thought of acquiring a top 4 seed. The 5-6 seed seems like the more realistic spot for us.
    #3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Vontae Davis looks like Bumgarner of the San Francisco Giants. He's throwing a no hitter out there tonight" - Jon Gruden

vCash
    why? I would bet on the Texans losing MNF and if we can beat them we would only be a game out with KC and then the division would be on the line in Indy. I think it is more realistic than you are estimating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ponderingpluto View Post
    why? I would bet on the Texans losing MNF and if we can beat them we would only be a game out with KC and then the division would be on the line in Indy. I think it is more realistic than you are estimating.
    Just don't want to be disappointed when we don't get it. I don't see us beating Houston twice. It's very likely they beat us twice.
    #3in5

<3

vCash
    its true it is a longshot, but I think houston is very beatable. Im not expecting us to win it, but this team has shown to beat expectations. Chuckstrong!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    I've pretty much given up the thought of acquiring a top 4 seed. The 5-6 seed seems like the more realistic spot for us.
    I agree I don't think Indy has a chance to win the division. I'd love to see them win the south but they aren't a better team than the texans. The texans have just been too good. I hope the texans win mon. night so they aren't playing for anything by the time indy plays them, for the 2nd time, week 17. It seems to me that Indy really must go 2-2 to keep the 5th seed. The steelers have SD,DAL,CIN, and CLE in 3 of 4 home games. the ravens have wash,Den,NY, and cincy, they could lose the division since Ben is back and the steelers could win 3 of 4 if not win out. I do not think cincy will win the division or make the playoffs. I think the top 6 now will be the eventual playoff teams with only the ravens/steelers division still uncertain. The pats could make life tough for indy if they beat houston. If houston has 2 loses they will have to play their starters the rest of the season to try to keep from losing the #1 seed. Houston wins and There's a chance they won't want to risk the starters wk 17 which may be beneficial to Indy especially if they don't at least win vs. tenn. and KC. I really have started to think those games are must wins for a 5 seed. The colts have a chance to win a playoff game and that's pretty cool but I think that's about as far as this team will go. They're a young team and if healthy should be in the hunt for the next 10 yrs. and possibly make a few super bowl runs. I would love to see it but they've got another season or so before they are a serious threat.

vCash
    ^ I want Houston to play their starters against us and have something to play for. Give us a playoff atmosphere before the playoffs, and I don't want to see us just back into the playoffs....if we get there I want to see it earned not given because Houston is so far ahead. I would like to know what we have against the class of the AFC at this point in time.
    Last edited by matthollabak; 12-07-2012 at 11:35 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by matthollabak View Post
    ^ I want Houston to play their starters against us and have something to play for. Give us a playoff atmosphere before the playoffs, and I don't want to see us just back into the playoffs....if we get there I want to see it earned not given because Houston is so far ahead. I would like to know what we have against the class of the AFC at this point in time.
    I get what you're saying I really do but I just think if the colts don't win both the tenn. and KC games they may not even get in the playoffs unless they take one of the Houston games. The colts beat the lions and the lions should've beat houston so I do believe the colts can play a good game against them. I don't care how they get in as much as I care they even make it. I guess that's where we differ and I respect your point of view and even know why you feel that way but to me as long as they're in I'll be happy. The monday night game may make it so houston can't sit the starters if they don't put away the pats. If the texans lose then the top 2 seeds may be up for grabs till the last game of the season.

vCash
    We will get tested by the Texans regardless because next week they WILL be playing starters no matter what. Week 17 is the only chance they would rest starters.

Lucks on our side

vCash
    FYI Jim Irsay has a twitter contest now. Winner gets 2500 Plus an autographed andrew luck jersey. Contest is you have to predict the 12 playoff seeds.
    #3in5

<3

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by boone37 View Post
    I get what you're saying I really do but I just think if the colts don't win both the tenn. and KC games they may not even get in the playoffs unless they take one of the Houston games. The colts beat the lions and the lions should've beat houston so I do believe the colts can play a good game against them. I don't care how they get in as much as I care they even make it. I guess that's where we differ and I respect your point of view and even know why you feel that way but to me as long as they're in I'll be happy. The monday night game may make it so houston can't sit the starters if they don't put away the pats. If the texans lose then the top 2 seeds may be up for grabs till the last game of the season.
    Don't get me wrong I'll cheer just as hard if they back in the playoffs and at this point if we don't get in I'll consider it a huge failure. I know you just want to see the Colts in the playoffs just like everyone in here but I would rather see a team that goes into the playoffs knowing they can play with and/or beat the best with everything on the line...and not one that knows they are in because Houston didn't care.

I just think from a confidence standpoint and going forward in the playoffs beating Houston at full strength is a huge deal that would get this team to realize that they aren't just there on "house money" or a fluke and that getting there was enough because they are good enough to be there and supposed to be there.

Think the year we let the Broncos in and then we blew them out...I just think that playoff game they thought getting into the playoffs was good enough for the season and didn't have the confidence that they could play with us.
    Last edited by matthollabak; 12-09-2012 at 05:27 PM.

vCash
    Feeling good. What do you guys think? 1 more win should probably do it?

vCash
    With 9 wins, seems only way #colts don't make playoffs is to lose out, have cincy and pitts win twice and tie when they meet. Got that?? .
    https://twitter.com/mchappell51/stat...95934355046400
    #3in5

<3

vCash
    Colts basically need 1 more win:

Say this for the Indianapolis Colts, these guys are consistent. They don’t win with convincing style, but they keep adding games to the “W” column and insist they aren’t paying attention to the playoff scenarios.

After Sunday’s 27-23 comeback win over Tennessee at Lucas Oil Stadium, ILB Jerrell Freeman was asked about improving to 9-4.

“I guess that’s OK,” Freeman understated. “It’s alright for us.”

But can he sniff the playoffs now?

“Nah. I don’t know,” he said. “I don’t know what’s going on around the league. Nah, I’m not going to do it, not yet.”

OK, so they were too busy coming back from a 20-7 halftime deficit to realize just how improved their postseason situation has become. They didn’t know Pittsburgh and Cincinnati both lost to drop to 7-6.

After initially tweeting the Colts’ magic number for clinching a playoffs berth was one, a fan reminded the N.Y. Jets are 6-7, which at least for now adds another scenario. So it’s actually a little more complicated than definitively stating a magic number.

In simplest terms, if the Colts win one of their last three games, they clinch. It’s probably best just to concentrate on that than waste brain cells analyzing “lose out” scenarios in which the Colts would still make it if they lost their last three and finished 9-7. I’ll get to that in a moment.

Asked about how he’s a long way from finishing 2-14 a year ago, ILB Kavell Conner said, “It feels good, man.”
    BALLARDrunsVStitans

Colts rookie running back Vick Ballard leaps over Titans defenders in the first half. Ballard finished with a season- and career-best 94 yards rushing on 19 carries. (Matt Detrich / The Star)

So is he sniffing playoffs?

“Not at all,” Conner said.

In the interest of full disclosure, he was told of the Steelers and Bengals losing. So what, he basically said.

Seriously, his family or friends are going to mention how the Colts are playoff locks, right?

“They might say it,” Conner said, “but I don’t listen to it.”

The other consideration, remote of course, is the Jets could win out to finish 9-7, and if the Colts lost out they would lose a head-to-head tiebreaker to the Jets. But one would think the Steelers or Bengals will also finish with at least a 9-7 record, which then factors in the conference-record tiebreaker.

The Colts are 6-3 in conference play. The Bengals are 5-5, the Jets 4-5, the Steelers 4-6. Either the Steelers or Bengals are going to lose when they face each other in two weeks at Heinz Field, and the Colts have the tiebreaker edge on both of those teams now.

Of course if the Colts lost out, they would be 6-6 in conference play, which could allow other teams into that tiebreaker. But the mind is starting to spin, paralysis from over analysis.

The best either the Steelers or Bengals can finish is 10-6. The best the Jets can finish is 9-7. Once again, with feeling, one more Colts win renders all of this other stuff meaningless.

In a game that looked like everything was going wrong for the home team, the Colts did what they have done most of this year: They clawed back and pulled this one out.

Ugly? Yeah, so what.

Colts CB Cassius Vaughn got torched in the first half. It seemed like Titans QB Jake Locker’s game plan was to throw the ball to whomever Vaughn was covering.

But in the third quarter, Locker went to the well once too often with an ill-advised pass into the flat, intended for WR Nate Washington but intercepted by Vaughn and easily stepped into the end zone for a 3-yard TD.

Just like that, the Colts led 21-20. Delone Carter had scored on a 1-yard TD run to finish a 14-play, 80-yard drive to open the second half.

The Titans took one last lead, then the Colts seized it back as PK Adam Vinatieri booted field goals of 53 and 40 yards.

Titans running back Chris Johnson, the 2009 NFL rushing champion, never had any room to run. The Colts stuffed him for just 44 yards on 19 carries. It’s worth noting this was a team effort. Ten different Colts had tackles on Johnson.

As much as the defense leaked in the first half, only one field goal allowed after halftime gives your offense every opportunity to rally and win. Vaughn’s pick-six helped, too.

Colts rookie QB Andrew Luck threw his third pick-six of the season on an ill-advised throw from his knees in the second quarter. Yes, the replay booth was sleeping in this one. Luck’s knee was down before he let the ball go, but we can all say so what now. The booth botched another review in the first quarter on a Titans completed pass. That ball came out.
    VINATIERInMACvsTITANS

Colts kicker Adam Vinatieri does his signature fist pump while holder Pat McAfee signifies the result, a 53-yard field goal to give the Colts a 24-23 lead in the fourth quarter. (Matt Detrich / The Star)

All that aside, it’s as if the Colts can’t make anything easy on themselves. This team has to gut it out. Each win has to be earned.

If the playoffs were today, the Colts would be the fifth seed and traveling to Baltimore, which dropped to the fourth seed after losing in overtime at Washington.

That’s news to us most of us. But not to the Colts. They’re not paying attention to the big picture, not yet, or so they say.

But nine wins with three to go? Who would have thunk it?

It’s safe to say the Colts have earned the opportunity to play at least one more game come January.
    http://blogs.indystar.com/philb/2012...ly-a-lock-now/
    #3in5

<3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast