Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    Of course he'll prove it.

Revere is really not that good. He's a weak singles hitter with absolutely NO power at all. He had 19 extra base hits the entire yr. Ike may double that in HR's alone. He can field the CF position well, but has a terrible arm. The only thing he has going for him is he plays CF and can steal bases, and dude over there keeps saying how its harder to find a CF than 1B as if this guy is a great CF..... There's plenty of guys who can steal bases. 23 guys stole at least 30 last yr with several very close to 30. We can get speed elswhere rather than give up better and more valuable players
    But its also that he is underrating Ike.

Read my post above.

Its just downright unfair to underrated Ike the way he has.

This guy had a serious injury, missed a ton of time, AND had valley fever issues.

He sucked balls for 2 months. He has been showing steady signs of improvement with the exception of that 2 month span.

He was good in the minors. He was solid his rookie year. He was off to a good start his sophomore year. And then bam! Ankle injury, valley fever, rust...all of a sudden he is trying to find his way back. He figures it out and plays well from June on.

Its unfair to underrated Ike the way he has. Ike will always have his streakiness, but he will easily prove to be far better than some people are trying to make him out to be in this forum.

Jew You Believe In Miracles?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    ^^^ I like Ike but I just don't think he is a .260 or .270 with 40+ home run power till he learns to hit lefties much more consistently.

To me he is 30-35 home run hitter with a .240 average the way he is currently tooled.

With those latter stats there are a lot of similarly valued 1st baseman.
    He is more like a .260 hitter with a high OBP and 30-35 homerun power.

Thats the real Ike.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    His OPS by the month last year were as follows:

Apr - .550

May - .496

June - .926

July - .794

Aug - .887

Sep - .858

The April and May version of Ike is not the real Ike. Next season he will prove to be an .850 - .900 OPS player. Do you realize how much time off he had due to his ankle injury? And then, when he was about to start getting ready during the offseason to shake off the rust...he gets hit with valley fever on top of that. He had to work his way back into it. He will end up being fine. The real Ike Davis is the one who played like so during June and on. The first 2 months were so abysmal that it skews his stats way out of proportion. Its not fair to label him in the way you are labeling him. Ike is a very solid first baseman with room to grow. He is easily better and more valuable than Revere will ever be.

Watch it happen. You will be happily proven wrong.
    Last edited by Wrigheyes4MVP; 12-07-2012 at 11:43 PM.

vCash
    ^^^ I like Ike but I just don't think he is a .260 or .270 with 40+ home run power till he learns to hit lefties much more consistently.

To me he is 30-35 home run hitter with a .240 average the way he is currently tooled.

Exactly how many 1B do u think are similar to a .240 avg with 30-35 HR's???

Let me help you. Looking at last year, there was 1 player in baseball with close to a .240 avg and 30-35 HR's. His name was Ike Davis.

vCash
    You're the GM of the Mets. You get an offer of Ben Revere for Ike Davis straight up. Do you accept?

If the answer is yes, then just get the hell outta here cuz you're ridiculous.
    No I wouldn't but Ike needs to improve offensively and defensively.

Everyone admits he needs a RH compliment at the position and there are a lot of other comparably valued 1st baseman that don't have that issue.

Its hard to reach his full potential offensively when he can't hit LHP.

vCash
    Exactly how many 1B do u think are similar to a .240 avg with 30-35 HR's???

Let me help you. Looking at last year, there was 1 player in baseball with close to a .240 avg and 30-35 HR's. His name was Ike Davis.
    I said similarly valued not similar offensive stats.

Ike will outpower most 1st baseman without question.

That doesn't make him significantly more valuable than the Freddie Freemans of the world.

vCash

The game has changed dude. There are not that many 1st baseman out there that mash anymore.

The average line for 1B is .257/.330/.436 now good for .331 wOBA, and the average line for CF is .264/.328/.414 good for .323 wOBA.

So Revere is a below average hitter and really bad if he doesn't keep his average around .300.

Ike is one of 8 1st baseman in baseball last year to hit 30 HR. It's not common anymore.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    The game has changed dude. There are not that many 1st baseman out there that mash anymore.

The average line for 1B is .257/.330/.436 now good for .331 wOBA, and the average line for CF is .264/.328/.414 good for .323 wOBA.

So Revere is a below average hitter and really bad if he doesn't keep his average around .300.

Ike is one of 8 1st baseman in baseball last year to hit 30 HR. It's not common anymore.
    Fair enough and you're right its the post PED culture of major league baseball where a limited number of guys are going to hit for that power.

But you even admitted Ike needs a RH compliment at the position, preferably one who can hit.

vCash
    Is it time to move on from this academic discussion? Phillies have Revere. We have Ike. No trade will be made.

It appears that the Mets will not seek a major acquisition until the Dickey situation is resolved. If they can get a quality CF in a trade for R.A. they forget about CF and go about filling other needs. BUT, if they don't trade Dickey, or he doesn't bring back a starting CF, the question is who should they target?

I'm not a Dexter Fowler fan. His away splits are horrendous, so I'm afraid if you take him away from the hitter friendly confines of Coors Field, he will flop. Who else might be obtainable?
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    Fair enough and you're right its the post PED culture of major league baseball where a limited number of guys are going to hit for that power.

But you even admitted Ike needs a RH compliment at the position, preferably one who can hit.
    I'm willing to give Ike the entire season next year to show he can hit LHP. He will play everyday according to Terry, so it will be a big season for him.

If he shows he cannot hit LHP, then I will gladly get a guy like Corey Hart and play him at 1B vs. LHP and the outfield vs. RHP.

vCash
    You're wasting your time arguing with Stuna. He'll cherry pick whatever stats are necessary to prop up his bogus arguments. If it fits his own personal agenda, he'll cite the same stats you are citing. It's like arguing with a woman.

vCash
    You're wasting your time arguing with WrightStuff. He'll cherry pick whatever stats are necessary to prop up his bogus arguments. If it fits his own personal agenda, he'll cite the same stats you are citing. It's like arguing with a woman.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WrightStuff82 View Post
    You're wasting your time arguing with Stuna. He'll cherry pick whatever stats are necessary to prop up his bogus arguments. If it fits his own personal agenda, he'll cite the same stats you are citing. It's like arguing with a woman.
    His bogus arguments? Please go back to some of my statements towards you and defend yourself. You make no sense at all.

vCash
    I don't think so.

If he can carry his second half into next season then yes he is the better player going forward.

I am not sure he can with the ebb and flow to his game.
    He's never really had a chance. He came up and did fine for the most part in 2010. Was injured for most of 2011. And Valley Fever got the best of him last season.

We know what he is capable of doing. To your point, he hasn't been able to sustain consistency. But to my point, it's unfair to say unequivocally that he'll never be able to.

From my eyes there's every reason to believe he will if given time and a chance. But we'll see.
    FELLOW SATINISTS INCLUDE:
    FoC, YS, Harry, Zmaster, Gotta, ArkansasMetsFan, KingsnQueens7, The-rock-man, Wrigheyes4MVP, Vendetta, Jim Labruno

vCash
    Whether the first half underperformance had all to do with the valley fever I am not sure.

As for Revere, ill backtrack and admit he is not the better player and stick more towards my original argument which was its more difficult to find a quality CF than it is a first baseman of Ike's stature.

And that Revere could still be the more valuable player if Ike doesn't improve.
    This is a very fair statement.
    FELLOW SATINISTS INCLUDE:
    FoC, YS, Harry, Zmaster, Gotta, ArkansasMetsFan, KingsnQueens7, The-rock-man, Wrigheyes4MVP, Vendetta, Jim Labruno

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast