Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Valanciunas could get moved to the bench in favour of Amir Johnson

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/12/06...g-to-the-bench

SALT LAKE CITY - It appears very likely that when the Raptors take the court Friday against the Utah Jazz they will do so for the first time this season without Jonas Valanciunas in the starting five.

Valanciunas is learning -- as teammate Ed Davis pointed out -- at or above the expected rate.

But the Raptors’ ability to protect their paint has reached crisis proportions and while it's certainly not all on the young Lithuanian rookie, the likely move will see Valanciunas move to the bench and Amir Johnson start.

Now this will certainly not appease those who want Andrea Bargnani either ousted from the starting five or moved all together, but something had to change and this is the way the organization appears to be leaning.

Head coach Dwane Casey contends, as he did following the Raptors' loss in Sacramento on Wednesday, that he needs Bargnani on the floor even when he's having an off night if for no other reason than to keep opposing defences honest.

Bargnani playing out at the three-point line means an opposing big can't be standing alongside the other big packing the paint and literally forming a wall against any penetration.

Here's how Casey explained it on Wednesday when the issue of going back to an effective Davis rather than sticking with Bargnani late was raised: "Going back to him, yeah I (thought about it). But we needed spacing for Kyle to get to the bucket and Andrea spaced the floor for us. It gives us another three-point shooter but again it spaced the floor for Kyle to get into the paint because he had it going."

Lowry almost single-handedly got the Raptors the win in the second half Wednesday, scoring 29 of his team-high 34 points. Casey believes that would not have been possible without Bargnani on the floor occupying one of the Kings' bigs, thereby freeing up lanes for Lowry to do his damage.

As for Valanciunas, he's more victim than cause for this changing of the guard.

The rookie centre has made progress and developed just about every night he has taken the floor, but the one part of his game that has been slower to come is the ability to anticipate when he needs to make the move from his own man and slide over and help on the attacking guard or forward coming down the lane.

It's a skill that is mastered only over time, and in time Valanciunas will get there. But at 4-15 and with the Raptors getting killed in the paint on a regular basis, it's highly unlikely the Raps will live with the current situation much longer.

Johnson, with seven years of NBA action under his belt, has this down a little more and that's why he is expected to make the move into the starting lineup.

Casey explained Valanciunas' struggles with that very concept at shootaround on Wednesday when asked where exactly he needs to make the next step.

"His is quick help," Casey said. "He's got to get there quicker to help. Reading what's coming, anticipating is the word I want to use, because right now he's so in tune with being physical with his guy, making sure he's not letting him duck in that in that one split second he's got to be ready. Amir does a good job of it, Eddie does a good job, Aaron Gray does a good job, bounce and go.

"You have to go protect the paint and he's about a half second off of that, being where he has to be," Casey said. "It's experience and being there numerous times, he's getting better at it but he's still not there yet. Recognizing that situation and it's a split moment."

About ten hours later, having watched the Kings torch Toronto's interior defence for a shocking 56 points, Casey for the first time all season hinted he was considering changes.

Confirmation of that likely won't come, if it comes at all, until game time on Friday in Utah. There's no point in letting the opposition know your plans in advance.

But it appears the time has come that something had to change and, for better or worse, it appears the promising rookie is the one who is going to pay the price.

The mistake would be to view this as a critique of Valanciunas and his progress.

It's not so much a criticism of his play as it is the admission that they can no longer afford to live with the uncertainties that come with youth.

Davis, for one, knows it's only a matter of time before Valanciunas is making that split-second decision like it was as natural as putting one foot in front of the other.

"JV? He's going to be good, man. He's going to be real good," Davis said. "He's young, he's like 20. He can't even drink yet. He's going to learn."

For at least the next little while, it appears that learning is going to come with the second unit .
    lol Barfnani getting a pass once again.

we're going to get pounded inside regardless...Amir is too small to guard Centers. Cousins ate him alive too yesterday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddler The Gr8 View Post

Oh no, now Jamie will be in a bad bad mood the whole day tomorrow, the dude will go off...book it.

I guess a 4-15 record, if you are the coach you just have to do anything you think it worked for you last season.

Val will get his time.

vCash
    We're still gonna get destroyed. It seems like no one can box out on the team, and defensively we're still bad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddler The Gr8 View Post

we're going to get pounded inside regardless...Amir is too small to guard Centers. Cousins ate him alive too yesterday.
    to trade bargnani and get fair value in return, well he is going to have to see playing time and hope that he puts up numbers

benching him is just going to decrease that value if it hits his ego that he has been reduced to a bench player and with his numbers dropping as well

vCash
    I could care less. As long as he gets the 25 mins a game he normally would get.

vCash
    Am I the only one that saw this line "But the Raptors’ ability to protect their paint has reached crisis proportions" and just shook their head thinking Andrea.

vCash
    bench bargnani,
    Try staring at this picture for more than a minute without getting a headache

vCash
    Lol Andrea is dodging blame like neo dodges bullets. This is rediculous... Bargnani is the culprit and the change that needs to happen is with him.

I hope Ed Davis and Valanciunas get some run together and prove that they are the better big man unit.
    Raptors Franchise Checklist:
    Rebuild with young players [ ]
    Build contending team [ ]
    Host NBA All-Star Weekend [ ]
    Win Championship [ ]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gwrighter View Post
    Lol Andrea is dodging blame like neo dodges bullets. This is rediculous... Bargnani is the culprit and the change that needs to happen is with him.

I hope Ed Davis and Valanciunas get some run together and prove that they are the better big man unit.
    This hit me a few mins ago. Maybe I'm giving Casey too much credit, But it could be to have Val and Davis together more. See how productive they are together. Maybe I'm thinking too much but then that would be fine not benching Andrea somewhat. But I just don't get how no one calls him out so why do we expect him to get better when it doesn't seem like anyone in the organization is hold him accountable. That's like giving a kid a toy every week and when you misbehaves you still continue to give him a toy. Obviously there is no consequence for bad behaviour so i shall continue to be bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gwrighter View Post

Which Casey more or less acknowledged, so I don't think AB is dodging the blame. The article just explained how DESPITE his shortcomings they kept him on the floor to provide spacing for Lowry.

Everyone in the universe is blaming AB so it's not as if he's dodged anything.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BALLER R View Post
    This hit me a few mins ago. Maybe I'm giving Casey too much credit, But it could be to have Val and Davis together more. See how productive they are together. Maybe I'm thinking too much but then that would be fine not benching Andrea somewhat. But I just don't get how no one calls him out so why do we expect him to get better when it doesn't seem like anyone in the organization is hold him accountable. That's like giving a kid a toy every week and when you misbehaves you still continue to give him a toy. Obviously there is no consequence for bad behaviour so i shall continue to be bad.
    Ultimately I hope that happens. Though it really reduces the scoring potential of the frontcourt.

Not sure the "bad boy" analogy works. That would be like punishing someone for a disability, which is what D is for AB.

vCash
    well... that's not the result i was looking for. but one of Andrea, Demar or Jonas needs to go to the bench to give the starting 5 more defensive chops so i'm not surprised.

RAPS INSIDER 12 - i'm numb at this point to this ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    Which Casey more or less acknowledged, so I don't think AB is dodging the blame. The article just explained how DESPITE his shortcomings they kept him on the floor to provide spacing for Lowry.

Everyone in the universe is blaming AB so it's not as if he's dodged anything.
    This.

He's there to give Derozan and Lowry more opportunities. Lowry and Derozan will be stuck attempting more jumpers if they have 2 inside players for most of the game.

vCash
    As long as Jonas gets minutes, I am happy. What worries me is that you take a guy who has really good floor-chemistry with Jose, Amir, and replace him with someone who has really poor floor-chemistry with Jose.

At least we'll see longer runs of Ed and Jonas playing together.
    Raptors count-up to 36 wins: 34 - 48 || #TankForWiggins
    http://blogasvalanciunas.tumblr.com
    Hey Cashman, fire Girardi and then yourself!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    This.

He's there to give Derozan and Lowry more opportunities. Lowry and Derozan will be stuck attempting more jumpers if they have 2 inside players for most of the game.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by DaoudS View Post
    As long as Jonas gets minutes, I am happy. What worries me is that you take a guy who has really good floor-chemistry with Jose, Amir, and replace him with someone who has really poor floor-chemistry with Jose.

At least we'll see longer runs of Ed and Jonas playing together.
    Yes.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast