Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Knicks glad to have heady, healthy Jason Kidd for rematch with Nets

Knicks glad to have heady, healthy Jason Kidd for rematch with Nets

Originally published: December 10, 2012 7:14 PM
    Updated: December 10, 2012 9:27 PM
    By AL IANNAZZONE al.iannazzone@newsday.com

Photo credit: Joseph D. Sullivan | Jason Kidd dribbles in front of Denver's Ty Lawson. (Dec. 9, 2012)

Galleries
    They played for both the Knicks and Nets Knicks jerseys through the years

Web links
    Vote: Knickspectations for 2012-13 Knicks 418: Meet every player in team history Blog: Knicks 'Zzone
    The Knicks originally signed Jason Kidd to be a mentor for Jeremy Lin. That never happened, but Kidd is teaching even his veteran teammates plenty about what it takes to win.

Kidd reprised his role of lead point guard in crunch time of Sunday's 112-106 victory over Denver at the Garden. He had six of his season-high seven assists in the fourth quarter, finished with 17 points and earned a hug from Carmelo Anthony.

"It's huge because I think he trusts me," Kidd said. "Coming down the stretch, he told me, let's play through you. Coach wanted to play through Melo and Melo's like, 'No, I want to play through Jason.' And I think that's just the greatest compliment a teammate can give."

The leadership and overall play of Kidd, 39, are big reasons the Knicks are an East-leading 15-5 heading into Tuesday night's game in Brooklyn against his former team.

Kidd had his best individual years when he led the Nets to the NBA Finals in 2002 and 2003. He's not nearly the same player. But as the off guard alongside Raymond Felton -- who calls Kidd a "mentor" -- he still gets to run the offense, still makes big steals and is penalizing teams for leaving him open.

Never known as a good shooter, Kidd is second in the NBA in three-point accuracy at 50.8 percent (32-for-63).

"He's the difference-maker for us," Steve Novak said. "Everyone plays with confidence when he is on the floor. You know the right thing is going to happen."

"He's going to make the right decisions down the stretch," said Tyson Chandler, Kidd's teammate on Dallas' 2011 championship team. "It seems like he's going to take the right shot or put the person who is going to take the shot in the right position."

Kidd, whose teams have reached the playoffs in 16 consecutive seasons, missed the first Knicks-Nets meeting in Brooklyn on Nov. 26 with lower-back spasms. The Knicks missed his calming influence and playmaking ability down the stretch and lost, 96-89, in overtime.

The hype around this game isn't as great because the two teams seem to be going in different directions. The Knicks have won six of seven since then; the Nets are 2-4 and have dropped four straight.

"They're looking to stop a streak and we're looking to get better," Kidd said. "There's no hype about this game. We're just looking at it for us to be a complete team. You got to find a way to win on the road. That's the only thing we're looking at."

It's still an important game to the Knicks, even if many of them won't admit it. Before last month's game at Barclays Center, everyone but the Brooklyn-born Anthony downplayed its significance.

But the Knicks really wanted the game and were extremely disappointed that they didn't outlast their cross-city rivals.

"We'll be ready," Anthony said. "I think that first game, I don't think they really did anything to beat us. We kind of beat ourselves, so we kind of have that in the back of our mind."

The Knicks also have Kidd back, and that could make the biggest difference this time.

Now I can't fly my airplane

vCash
    "Coming down the stretch, he told me, let's play through you. Coach wanted to play through Melo and Melo's like, 'No, I want to play through Jason.' And I think that's just the greatest compliment a teammate can give."

epic.

Kidd is intangibles personified.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation that’s critical. He’s one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.”

vCash
    We have Kidd last time and we are 16-4
    Future Ace

vCash
    gotta win one in Barclay, put the Nets at 11-10.

vCash
    Win....

THE REAL DRAFT GURU

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYJwsvkCj-E

Too bad we don't have him as the top 5 player, best PG in the NBA he once was. He was so quick, so deceiving, so good.

Nonetheless, he's the ultimate difference maker this late in his career.

vCash
    Hi guys. I just wanted to add this article. It is similar to the one posted above. Furthermore, it also highlights the immeasurable effect JKidd has had on the Knicks.

Even Anthony Likes Offense to Go Through Kidd

The moment said a lot about Carmelo Anthony and Jason Kidd.

Anthony was heroic in Sunday’s game at Madison Square Garden, leading the Knicks to a 112-106 victory over the Denver Nuggets with a game-high 34 points. Fans cheered at the buzzer because Anthony’s return to the team, after two games out with a finger injury, played a vital part in the team’s success.

Immediately after the game, though, Anthony wanted to find Kidd, who had scored half as many points but who Anthony knew had had just as big an effect on the game. Anthony went over to Kidd to hug him and say “thank you.”

That signified just how much Anthony, the Knicks’ best player, values having Kidd as a teammate.

“I think it’s huge,” Kidd said of what it meant to receive the hug. “I think he trusts me coming down the stretch.”

Anthony put his faith in Kidd when the Knicks trailed the Nuggets early in the fourth quarter. During a timeout, Coach Mike Woodson wanted Anthony to be the focal point of the team’s offense. Anthony had a different idea.

“He told me, ‘Let’s play through you,’ ” Kidd said. “Coach wanted to play through Carmelo, but Carmelo was like, ‘No, I want to play through Jason.’ I think that’s the greatest compliment a teammate can get.”

Kidd, 39, is the third-oldest player in the N.B.A. behind his teammate Kurt Thomas and Grant Hill of the Los Angeles Clippers, who are both 40. Yet Kidd is one of the biggest reasons the Knicks are 15-5 and atop the Eastern Conference standings. Sunday’s game was a prime example of Kidd’s influence.

Regardless of his 17 points against the Nuggets, the plays that led the Knicks to the victory were the ones in which he did not score. When he entered the game with 10 minutes 32 seconds left in the fourth quarter, the Knicks trailed, 88-83.

Kidd played a role in the Knicks’ next 18 points: an assist on Steve Novak’s 3-pointer, an assist on Tyson Chandler’s dunk, a rebound of J. R. Smith’s long 3-point miss over two Nuggets and a pass to a wide-open Ronnie Brewer for a layup, a transition pass that led to two made free throws by Brewer, an assist on Anthony’s midrange jumper, an assist on Anthony’s 3-pointer, an assist on Chandler’s alley-oop dunk and a driving layup of his own.

When Kidd’s run was over, the Knicks had a 101-95 lead.

“He had an unbelievable night,” Chandler said of Kidd. “I just know he’s going to make the right decision. He’s always going to take the right shot or put the person who needs to take the shot in the right position.”

Because of his age and two odd plays, Kidd has also built camaraderie with his teammates by being the subject of their jokes this season.

Kidd has been hit in the head twice by opponents who have landed on him after he pump faked. In the Knicks’ win over the Indiana Pacers, Lance Stephenson’s teeth cut Kidd’s head, which forced him to wear a headband — a look teammates said they found silly — to keep the bandage on his head from falling off.

A similar play happened Sunday in the second quarter when the Nuggets’ Ty Lawson head-butted Kidd. Novak and others found some hockey helmets lying around in the Rangers’ locker room, next to the Knicks’. Kidd smiled as he wore the helmet during warm-ups for the second half.

“They’re not using them right now,” Kidd said jokingly as the N.H.L. lockout continues. “I needed something to keep the swelling down because my teammates were killing me about how big my head was getting. That was the only thing we can think of.”

After the game, Kidd entered the Knicks’ locker room wearing the helmet again. It made Novak and Anthony laugh again.

“I think he retired the headband, so we went and got the hockey helmet,” Novak said. “It looked good on him.”

Sunday was the first time this season that Kidd had extensive minutes at point guard. Woodson’s adjustment allowed Raymond Felton, who was struggling with a left thumb injury, to rest.

No matter where Kidd has been on the court, he has helped the Knicks win. The Knicks have a plus-98 scoring differential with Kidd in the game.

“I’m just trying to help my guys win,” Kidd said. He added about late-game situations: “I just know that if we get a good look that we have a good chance of winning. When we move the ball, we always get a wide-open look.”

That is what happened Sunday.

Novak knows it is hard at times to quantify just how large an effect Kidd can have on a game. But Novak has noticed that he and the rest of the Knicks play with more confidence when Kidd is on the court.

“Everyone sees that he’s trying to get guys the ball,” Novak said. “He’s a special player.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/11/sp...ason-kidd.html

Anji is online now The Nba is his GAME!!!!!!
    vCash
    I think Jason Kidds career is longer than Jamaal Mashburn and Jim Jackson combined. And you know he has had like triple the impact.

JKidd is a huge part of the knicks success, glad he picked us over staying in Dallas.
    My mama said pray for them ****** that hate
    They just wanna be in your place.........

Shine on shine on shine on them ******
    Shine on them ****** (what it ain't what it is)
    Shine on shine on shine on them ******

vCash
    Jason Kidd will def be a difference maker. Must win tomorrow to shut all these bklyn fan up. = = Must win @ barclays at least once!

If you can't handle my worst, you ain't getting my best.
    #KnicksTape

vCash
    If we win it all this year these guys will forever be immortalized in NY

THE REAL DRAFT GURU

vCash
    agree with Maichan

must win

need ammo

vCash
    Soooo glad to have gotten Kidd instead of Nash! Nash is no where near as complete a PG as kidd, esp on the defensive end! Nash has been hurt all season and we would've had to have given up Shumpert for him! This offseason by Glen Grunwald may have locked up EotY for him
    "Teamwork makes the Dream work"

vCash
    Kidd with the Hockey helmet is just hilarious. Man, this dude is gonna be so important for us come playoff time! Yoda Kidd MOVEMENT baby!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    "Coming down the stretch, he told me, let's play through you. Coach wanted to play through Melo and Melo's like, 'No, I want to play through Jason.' And I think that's just the greatest compliment a teammate can give."

epic.

Kidd is intangibles personified.
    Our team is becoming contenders before our very eyes...

Happy to have the wiley vet back for a crucial game against our rivals!!!

Let's send BK a message tonight!!!