Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    If the NFL eliminates kickoffs what does that do to Rex's philosophy? The days of Defense + running game+ special teams are coming to an end. So is the notion of having the "game managing" QB.

I wish the Jets would just blow it all up and start with an offensive minded H.C.

Someone who could bring in real talent at the Rb , QB and Wr positions.

"The Butt of all jokes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
    If the NFL eliminates kickoffs what does that do to Rex's philosophy? The days of Defense + running game+ special teams are coming to an end. So is the notion of having the "game managing" QB.

I wish the Jets would just blow it all up and start with an offensive minded H.C.

howbout new O cord and just draft thoseguys

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan28 View Post
    Rex is legitimately the only reason the Jets were competitive this year against NE, Houston, and PIttsburgh (in the first half). This roster is terrible and he's kept the team somewhat competitive.
    How about a coach who knows something about offense other than "ground n pound." The style of offense Rex wants to run hasn't worked in a long time. It was the same problem Joe Gibbs encountered when he tried coaching again. It's a quarterback/offense driven league nowadays, and we need someone who knows a single damn thing about offense. Rex just doesn't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post

Chip Kelly would be far and away my favorite option for head coach. He actually understands how to score points.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JETSCOURGE View Post
    howbout new O cord and just draft thoseguys
    Yeah, but those guys aren't available in the draft.

An O-Lineman might be there who can make a difference, but the Jets need impact players at WR and RB, and drafting means waiting for 2-3 years.

They've already drafted potential future playmakers with Hill, Gates, Powell, and Kerley. They should continue to draft more like the Giants do, but this team needs immediate impact players.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    How about a coach who knows something about offense other than "ground n pound." The style of offense Rex wants to run hasn't worked in a long time. It was the same problem Joe Gibbs encountered when he tried coaching again. It's a quarterback/offense driven league nowadays, and we need someone who knows a single damn thing about offense. Rex just doesn't.
    Pretty sure it worked during his first couple years here - and, like any offensive philosophy, you need the appropriate personnel for it. Just because it doesn't follow the current trend doesn't mean that it doesn't work.

vCash
    Draft Landry Jones and all our fears will go away. He's not that goodlooking so I don't have to read about dating some super model.

I want a GM that can evaluate talent, it really is that simple.

I want a coach who was successful but hasn't won yet. Like when the Giants hired Coughlin.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    get gruden as HC, rex as DC, someone who has a competent understanding of the passing downfield game as OC, Tanny as ball boy, and Polian as GM
    NYJ
    Jet Nation

NYK
    #3ToTheHead

NYY

Get Up!!!

http://twitter.com/TrueNYJetGS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Fan Tdot View Post
    Pretty sure it worked during his first couple years here - and, like any offensive philosophy, you need the appropriate personnel for it. Just because it doesn't follow the current trend doesn't mean that it doesn't work.
    It worked so well that our season was ended the moment Shonn Greene left the AFC Championship game with an injury.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andobuger View Post
    after going back to Sanchez......just Bill me up

Polian

and

Cowher
    if only we could be so lucky... i like Rex, and I'd only be happy seeing him leave if it was Bill Cowher coming in to replace him. I'd also love Jon Gruden. No one else thats available really hits the mark.

vCash
    I don't want Cowher.
    I want Sean Payton.

Make it happen Omar.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    Draft Landry Jones and all our fears will go away. He's not that goodlooking so I don't have to read about dating some super model.

I want a GM that can evaluate talent, it really is that simple.

I want a coach who was successful but hasn't won yet. Like when the Giants hired Coughlin.
    ....anything else?

vCash
    Many of us have been suggesting that something like this would happen. REX will stay as HC on the NYJ - unless there is a horrible, embarrassing locker-room implosion - then, all bets are off - but I don't think this will happen - I mean, Holmes is not there, and things have been at least as worse earlier this year, than last year, and I believe nobody associated with the Jets wants to be ridiculed like the whole team was after last year.

It's been my belief that MrT has never truly assumed the full control that a normal GM in the NFL wields. I believe Mangini, and REX have had tremendous amount of control of who they draft, and the bigger name FA's they bring in. I think MrT's job has been to keep a close eye on the waiver wire, and bring potential "gets" to the attention of REX. I think MrT's "GM-ness" was in making contracts - and when I look at 3 of our biggest for next year - Holmes, Sanchez, and David Harris (in order of size, although all within $1 million from Holmes to Harris) - I'm not thinking this is the place he should be - AND everything is a little cockeyed. The GM should be acquiring the talent, with an ear to what the HC needs, and then make contracts in accordance with the importance the GM has assigned to these players based on how well they contribute, and their future potential for the team. As it currently stands - we are dysfunctional in this area.

A quick note on "cap guru." Even getting rid of Smith the OT (12 million - was NEVER even counted because he was NEVER going to get that from us, or anyone), and Bart Scott (8.65 million), Pace (11,573,333), and Eric Smith (3 million), Tim Tebow (3,616,875) - and then, we pretty much are either stuck, or NEED the player - like Sione Po'uha is due $6.16 million, but we don't have anyone that can even come close to what he provides at NT (Kenrick Ellis is a joke because in 2 years - he hasn't been able to stay on the field, and hasn't been any good when he has played), the other 2 big DTs aren't making squat, and even if you could play the 2 of them at the same time, and only count as 1 guy - well....maybe not quite like that, but close. Po'uha has earned, and deserved decent money - maybe they can renegotiate him, but I doubt it.

So - anyway - we are cap strapped even with these guys gone. This was for an effort to win it all in the 2009 - 2012 window - oops, almost though.

The ridiculous contracts are the 38 million that Holmes, Harris and Sanchez will make, and count against the cap next year. We could cut Holmes - but even as he is - he's the best WR we have, currently. Harris and Sanchez are hard to swallow. It's not that Harris is a bad ILB - right now - he's the best we have, but he doesn't deserve perennial Pro bowl money - I mean the most Ray Lewis has made from 2009 - 2012 ('09 - 5.8 mil; '10 - 6.6 mil; '11 - 7.23 mil; 2012 5.6 mil) - YES, Ray's on the downslide BUT - OK...

Lets take a look at Patrick Willis - perennial Pro Bowl ILB - 2010 - 4.2 mil; 2011 - 5.9 mil; 2012 - 6.5 mil; 2013 - 7 mil; from now on - not fully guaranteed; 2014 - 9.9 mil; 2015 - 11.7 mil; 2016 - 9.9 mil; 2017 - 4 mil - AND DAVID HARRIS IS GOING TO MAKE 13 mil this year - get out of town.

So, I don't know where MrT fits in - maybey as a football operations guy - helping manage the cap, or marketing, but I doubt he gets fired UNLESS - Woody thinks someone's head has to roll - then I don't know.

We need a strong, great GM with a vision, and good talent evaluator, and has a great scouting department, and listens to them.

There's no way REX accepts a demotion to DC - just NO WAY, because he can probably land himself another head coaching opportunity, maybe not next year, but perhaps going back as a DC (not with us - too bad) - do a great job - and he'll get another opportunity.

I hope they play hard for him so that he gets another chance, and our NEW GM will get a strong OC, and funnel good, hopefully a bunch of great players to the team. Ah..to hope, to dream......

GO JETS!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    We need the right players to make it happen, and QB that doesn't suck *** like Sanchez.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    We need the right players to make it happen, and QB that doesn't suck *** like Sanchez.
    Do you have pictures of him actually doing that?

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast