Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 67 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekJeterDan View Post
    Simple enough.

Makes sense. Thank you
    That's why there are many ways to circumvent the 189M tax. Only guaranteed years/salary are part of the AAV although player options do count. Club options are not counted in the AAV.

So theoretically, the Yankees can offer Josh Hamilton (just an example) a one year deal worth 35M with 3 club options worth 15M each. In essence, that's a 4 year contract worth 80M. The AAV will be different though because they are club options. If its a normal 4 year / 80M dollar contract the AAV would be 20M per season which would hurt the payroll. This way (1 year deal plus option contract) the AAV for the first year would be 35M but only 15M per season for every other year the player is under contract due to the years not being 'guaranteed'.

The MLBPA can't even really ***** about this contract. The Yankees won't actually be avoiding the tax. They will be 'accelerating' payment for the player.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash
    with the way this off season is going i think they may have jumped the gun a bit in re signing Mo, Kuroda and Pettitte. Unless they can sign hamilton i'm not sure were going to have the offense to make the playoffs

I'm not advocating that we go out and trade Cano because of a bad post season but word is he want an Arod type deal in yrs and money. He's the best player on the team, as well as 1 of the most feared hitters in the game and the best 2nd baseman in baseball. The only reason i would trade him would be if we couldn't get a deal worked out with him before the season starts. Theirs no way i give a middle infielder that will be 31 yrs old at the end of the season 25+ million a yr for 7 plus yrs. very few middle infielders age well and i don;t think Robbie is the exception. I think we could get a hell of a haul for him especially if we traded before the season started.

With the new spending cap put in place by Hal I really think were going to have to go through a rebuilding phase. We used to be able to retool instead of rebuild but without the money to do it we can't anymore.

Unless we can get at least 2 high quality bats and resign Cano to a resonable deal i would look to trade Granderson, Cano, Hughes and even possibly Gardy and Drob. Id also look to move Kuroda around the AS break. We would get a missive influx of young talent in the system that would drastically speed up the rebuilding process.

Its not going to be a popular idea and it sucks it would happen during Mo and Pettites last yr. I just don;t see us making the playoffs with a team as it currently built, especially in a division that has a very strong Tampa team, a Baltimore team thats going to be better than last yr just from the prospects they have coming up and a massively improved team in the Jays.

To me it makes more long term and baseball sense to move the assets that we have go get players that would massively speed up our rebuilding process. It doesn't make sense to me to run out a team that could easily end up a 3rd or 4th place team. It also makes zero sense to me to let both Cano and Grandy walk at the end of the yr for a supplemental round pick when we could get some much more for them now and drastically improve our future. If i thought we were going to be serious contenders i'd feel differently

vCash
    The zack Greinke contract is fkn awful!

Are people nuts? The guy is a number 2. He's basically a better version of Hughes. Plays once a week. Get largest AAv in MLB history for a pitcher at 24.5 per.

Amazingly dumb.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Message to Hal: SIGN EVERYONE.

vCash

Yankees dismal off-season continues...why?

What is Cashman waiting for? Not signing a catcher or right fielder before you signed Pettitte and Mo just doesn't make sense....now there's talk of trading Granderson then A-Rod out til mid season (maybe longer) and the Captain...is he for sure ready by spring training?? Am I missing something here? If the season starts today....this is what the lineup looks like:

1) Jeter-SS- will he even be ready?
    2) Ichiro-RF- he's not even signed yet!
    3) Teixeria- 1st
    4) Cano- 2nd
    5) 3rd base- TBD? What? Who?
    6) Granderson- CF...if he's trade bait who's replacing 40+ HR's?
    7) DH.....really??
    8) C- guess the umpires are catching pitches!
    9) Gardner- LF

vCash
    well the season doesn't start today.

vCash
    I thought the Yankees had a forum of their own.

vCash
    Yankee thread....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee View Post
    Dasboot or whatever, you have a lot of time on your hands to come up with something that would never happen.
    LOL!!! The greater majority of stuff posted here is never going to happen.
    Last edited by YANKSGUY; 12-09-2012 at 11:33 AM.
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

vCash
    Didn't you hear the news? We don't have anymore money.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    The zack Greinke contract is fkn awful!

Are people nuts? The guy is a number 2. He's basically a better version of Hughes. Plays once a week. Get largest AAv in MLB history for a pitcher at 24.5 per.

Amazingly dumb.
    He's more consistent than Hughes and also has a Cy Young. Don't discredit the guy. Is he worth 24.5 million per? No but he was the best pitcher on a market with two teams competing for him so he will get paid a lot. That's how it works. Next year or the year after there will be another pitcher that gets paid more than that.

Official Dolphins Draft Guru '11 & NFL Draft Guru '12

Enjoy hilarious podcasts about popculture, wrestling, and videogames? Check out the lasertime network at lasertimepodcast.com

vCash
    Because they are trying to not spend money, also, this is heading for the Yankees section

And the off-season isn't over, it's the beginning of December

vCash
    Despite having almost the same group of guys, the Yankees will still be able to compete in the AL East no matter what. They're that kind of a team.

vCash
    A bunch of bloated contracts and a desire to avoid a luxury tax.

vCash
    Why move this here? We don't want this junk in our forum

vCash
    I don't know if you even watch the playoffs, but it is a proven fact that the teams with the best pitching win in the post season. All you have to do is look at our anemic offense last offseason. Even if they went for a catcher or RF, it doesn't guarantee us anything if they don't show up. Its the pitching that wins.... SEE JUSTIN VERLANDER. We can't lose quality pitching. While I feel signing MO was a mistake and waste of money(go ahead and bash me) especially since we have DRob who could easily have become closer, and we don't know how 43 year old Mariano Rivera will come back from surgery, signing pitching first was absolutely the right move.

Quote Originally Posted by rel_28 View Post
    What is Cashman waiting for? Not signing a catcher or right fielder before you signed Pettitte and Mo just doesn't make sense....now there's talk of trading Granderson then A-Rod out til mid season (maybe longer) and the Captain...is he for sure ready by spring training?? Am I missing something here? If the season starts today....this is what the lineup looks like:

1) Jeter-SS- will he even be ready?
    2) Ichiro-RF- he's not even signed yet!
    3) Teixeria- 1st
    4) Cano- 2nd
    5) 3rd base- TBD? What? Who?
    6) Granderson- CF...if he's trade bait who's replacing 40+ HR's?
    7) DH.....really??
    8) C- guess the umpires are catching pitches!
    9) Gardner- LF

Page 9 of 67 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast