Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Kind of funny that the best article I can find to sum it up is from wiki but here it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Coryell

Now to get into the specifics of what I'm talking about

The Coryell offense is a combination of deep and mid range passing and power running.
    We can done one of those things great, and we're pretty iffy on the other.

The offense relies on getting all five receivers out into patterns that combined stretched the field, setting up defensive backs with route technique and the Quarterback throwing to a spot on time where the receiver can catch and turn upfield. Pass protection is critical to success because at least two of the five receivers will run a deep in, skinny post, comeback, speed out, or shallow cross.
    Our pass protection really is much better this year, but they need to do something about the interior line.

Overall the goal of the Coryell offense is to have at least two downfield, fast wide receivers who adjust to the deep pass very well, combined with a sturdy pocket quarterback with a strong arm. The Coryell offense uses three key weapons. The first is a strong inside running game, the second is its ability to strike deep with two or more receivers on any play, and the third is to not only use those two attack in cooperation with each other, but to include a great deal of mid-range passing to a TE, WR, or back.
    I do think that a lot of our best players could easily fit into the Coryell system. Peterson would do just fine, Rudolph could be a weapon even if he's not quite as fast as Gronkowski or Jimmy Graham. The other thing is Harvin, on first glance his short slot game doesn't really fit with the whole mid-to-deep passing concept, but think about how Harvin could be incorporated into that kind of scheme. He'd be the ultimate safety valve, instead of being our entire offense, not to say that he'd be marginalized to that. Its impossible for a defense to scheme to stop Harvin, Peterson and whoever those two deep WRs would be. Its a little stretch but I think Rhett Ellison could make a good H-back as well.

The other thing to point out though, its hard to characterize Ponder as "a sturdy pocket QB with a strong arm." and this is where my apprehension is at. We need that backup/competition guy, and we'd need someone who more closely fits that description.

Here's a really good read too
    As offensive coordinator with the Dallas Cowboys, Turner ran Coryell's offense a greater emphasis on sideline throws than the Chargers used. Turner's take on the Coryell system turned around the career of Hall of Fame QB Troy Aikman and has proven to be very successful with talented high draft picks struggling with the complexities of the NFL, such as Alex Smith. Turner' variant is not the most robust flavor of Coryell offense. It is a very sound, QB friendly scheme that favors taking controlled chances, like quicker midrange post passes to WRs off play action rather than slower developing passes that leave QBs exposed. It is almost exclusively run out of the pro set. Turner favors a more limited palette of plays than Coryell and most other Coryell disciples, instead insisting on precise execution. His offenses are usually towards the top of the league standings, but are often labeled predictable. His offenses tend to include a strong running game, a #1 WR who can stretch the field and catch jump balls in the end-zone, a good receiving TE to attack the space the WRs create in the middle of the field and a FB who fills the role of a lead blocker and a final option as an outlet receiver. In Dallas, Turner made RB Emmitt Smith & WR Michael Irvin Hall of Famers, and TE Jay Novacek a five time pro bowler. As head coach of the San Diego Chargers, Turner's system helped quarterback Philip Rivers set new franchise records for single-season quarterback rating and touchdown passes in 2008.
    Here's one thing I will say, while Ponder is far from an ideal fit for this system, if he was able to pick it up (or we replaced him with someone more well suited to it which is sadly what a lot of people want to do anyways), and we were able to get the WRs who could really run it, we'd really have something. The other beautiful thing about all this is that we need new WRs and new Guards ANYWAY so it could line up nice.

One last thing to think about
    West Coast Offense comparisons

The Coryell offense attacked vertically through seams, while the West Coast offense moved laterally as much as vertically through angles on curl and slant routes. The Coryell offense had lower completion percentages than the West Coast offense, but the returns were greater on a successful play. "The Coryell offense required more talented players, a passer who could get the ball there, and men who can really run—a lot of them," said Walsh. He said the West Coast offense was developed out of necessity to operate with less talented players. He noted, "[Coryell] already had the talent and used it brilliantly."
    All in all, staying with a west cost offense, which we've run since the dawn of time (Burnsie's offense that was part of the Vikings since Bud Grant came to town in 1968 has its similarities) would be easier, even if we're replacing Musgrave, but if Norv Turner comes to town, while it might be more difficult/require better players, there's certainly a possibility that it could pay off big time.

Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sota4Ever View Post
    In my opinion whether we win out, lose out, or anything between Ponder will not be judged because of it.
    Are you talking about by the organization or by fans in general. If we win out or Ponder plays well I would not at all be surprised to hear "Oh well that's just Ponder playing not like himself, we still need a new QB." before the draft.

I hope they let Ponder play out the rest of the year, make some good moves in the off-season and get him some competition for the job. I fully expect after one more training camp to see Ponder with noticeable improvements next season. If he's not playing well next season I don't think we should bench him, I think we should cut him or at the very least remove him from contention as starter and go out looking for someone new. The thing I hated most about T-Jack (which was not his fault at all) was that Childress kept him around here for two years when we had Favre instead of facing facts and realizing that we needed a new QB. One shudders to think about what would have happened here in 2011 if Childress had of still been here for a reunion with Donovan McNabb, Chilly probably would have kept T-Jack around to "learn" from him too.

Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    Oh completely organization. Fans would continue to bring up the Packer game. Ponder just really needs to forget about the fans and just play football. If they start to boo him on Sunday he should take it as a challenge and try and prove them wrong. He needs to play with a little attitude and not think so much about everything. I hope we don't bench Ponder. It will do more harm then good to him. Take off the chains and let the kid go out and play football. Don't tell him to just manage the game. This next off season will probably be the most important one in awhile.

vCash
    I say not only yes but H### yes. reason? He has been a head coach for a long time and knows what he wants for his deep threats. He is smart and call good plays.
    I believe he will have the kind of input that will fix out deep threat problem and not leaving it up to Spielman to try to hit on draft picks every year. He could bring in some good talent and develop our team into a threat. I just don't see Harvin sticking around with us and this next year has to be more of an upgrade than this year. I hope this gets done.
    Flash!...... Aaha!!

vCash
    A lot of bashing on Musgrave and for the most part rightfully so. Our offense would look so much better if the players would execute it. He'll likely get another year due to the fact that everyone knows our WR core is terrible. But if not then Turner would be ideal.

created by the one and only VCU
    Adopt-A-Viking: Adam Thielen
    Receptions: 0 , Yards: 0 , TD's: 0

vCash
    My guess is that Norv will end up back in Dallas.

vCash
    In that case I will take Jason Garrett as our OC then.

vCash
    I am sorry, but if ponder somehow manages to lose out every game how does he not get judged for it? My personal opinion is that if he does lose out the coaches can not go with him, yeah I sound crazy when I say that because who else is there to turn to? Cant draft anyone trading means giving up draft picks, thats the price Spielman will have to pay though for *reaching* to get ponder.

I was watching a football life a couple days ago about Barry Sanders, one of the best running backs in the game, he carried that team on his back without any help, Adrian Peterson again for the 3rd year in a row is carrying this team on his back without any help, he is risking his body week in and week out to get the vikings to the playoffs just like Sanders did. What did Barry Sanders get for that? No help no nothing, what is Adrian getting for his work ethic? nothing no help, no nothing, no deep threat and no franchise quarterback.

So what I am trying to say is that adrian deserves better, and if ponder loses out he cannot be the quarterback of this teams future, I may get bashed for that, but look at the other rookie quarterbacks, they are all in the playoff chase just like us but we are reeling and reeling bad, we had the chance to beat the packers who lost that game for us? ponder. two interceptions in the red zone, unacceptable. I want ponder to play better, but if he doesnt and I just dont think he will (again my personal opinion) he is regressing terribly, one interception and the fans will be calling for his head. just like my self and everyone else on here i bet.

Sorry for ranting, but just wanted to get that out.

vCash
    I wager you may see a push by MANY teams going after Mike Holmgren.
    I'd rather see him here with his NO BS accountability attitude.

vCash
    Wow would Mike Holmgren make the Vikings-Packers Rivalry better if he was our HC..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin Purple View Post
    I'm sure most of you heard the news that the Chargers will be firing Norv Turner at the end of the year..

So what do you think about him being the OC for the Vikings? I think it would be a good fit, he was always a good OC just never a good head coach.

Thoughts?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...th-and-turner/
    Na
    Seattle Seahawks Seattle Mariners Los Angeles Clippers Anaheim Ducks

Tweet me @Spencerrw3
    Go Hawks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tc80 View Post
    ...but look at the other rookie quarterbacks, they are all in the playoff chase just like us but we are reeling and reeling bad, we had the chance to beat the packers who lost that game for us? ponder.
    Ponder isn't a rookie quarterback.

Do you remember Cam Newton last year? How about him in his second season? Let's wait a year before fawning over Luck/RGIII/Wilson; there is a reason that second-season syndrome is fairly common, as teams get tape on the rookies. Year three is the make or break season and Ponder/Locker/Newton will see that next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Surlyc View Post
    Ponder isn't a rookie quarterback.

Do you remember Cam Newton last year? How about him in his second season? Let's wait a year before fawning over Luck/RGIII/Wilson; there is a reason that second-season syndrome is fairly common, as teams get tape on the rookies. Year three is the make or break season and Ponder/Locker/Newton will see that next year.
    While you are totally correct about great rookie QBs in their 2nd year... ahem... Ponder was great his rookie year?

WISH LIST:

Win a SB before I die.

The enemies gate is down

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wrizzo View Post
    While you are totally correct about great rookie QBs in their 2nd year... ahem... Ponder was great his rookie year?
    That is of course true, and I don't have a defense for that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wrizzo View Post
    Considering Ponder's circumstances...yeah it was good.
    Bridgewater Draft and Highlights Video

Adobt-A-Viking: Josh Robinson
    2 Tackles, 1 INTs, 2.8 QB Rating

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast