Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Hamilton

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Speaking of this supposed great productive hitter Hamilton, here is a sobering fact.

If you take his career, and translate it to a 625 plate appearance season, he averages 110 RBI's. given that great hitters park he has been in, and that great line-up, in those great batting positions 110 is frankly not impressive.

How about vs LHP: .280/.327/.481 - meh

How about away? .292/.354/.507 - 22% worse that at home.

HR factors in 2010:

Average park: 1.00

Arlington 1.160 (7th)

Fenway .871

That means for every 3 HR hit in Fenway 4 were hit in Arlington.
    A committed SABR guy using RBI to attack the "supposed greatness" of a hitter??

Come on now.

That "supposedly great" hitter Adrian Gonzalez only had 108 RBI this year - and played lots of games in a great offensive park, and with a great line up.
    His average in Bos. for 2 years was 112.5. Does he stink too???
    "i responded in accordance to his idiotic jackassery sayings about me.. "

In the immortal words of Youkahhhhhh - Aug/29/2010

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDustTwin View Post
    A committed SABR guy using RBI to attack the "supposed greatness" of a hitter??

Come on now.

That "supposedly great" hitter Adrian Gonzalez only had 108 RBI this year - and played lots of games in a great offensive park, and with a great line up.
    His average in Bos. for 2 years was 112.5. Does he stink too???
    Excuse me, but the person I am addressing speaks ribbies.

Gonzalez did NOT play his last two years in as good a line up as Hamilton, and that time in LAD lowered his park perhaps to the same vicinity as Hamilton, or below. Also Gonzalez had shoulder issues to contend with.

Why don't you check out posts 104 and 105 for SABR stat usage if you are so concerned?
    Last edited by bagwell368; 12-09-2012 at 12:05 AM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    If he is a DH or even in LF, his value defensive will decrease as WAR will demonstrate. So either way you want to look at it - his fielding value going forward will never match 2010 which is the point I was making, and just made again.
    So long as he's a former CF, of course his fielding value will never match its previous levels; CF is, after all, the most valuable defensive position on the diamond.

Seems redundant to mention it in the first place, though, bravo on making the point twice.

vCash
    Excuse me, but the person I am addressing speaks ribbies.

Gonzalez did NOT play his last two years in as good a line up as Hamilton, and that time in LAD lowered his park perhaps to the same vicinity as Hamilton, or below. Also Gonzalez had shoulder issues to contend with.

Why don't you check out posts 104 and 105 for SABR stat usage if you are so concerned?
    Speaking RBI??? Cripes that's like speaking Latin, isn't it? A dead language.
    You ought to tell your pal that that conversation gets people talking about Mark Trumbo 95 / Robinson Cano 94 and the myriad "therefore" statements that could follow. Scary territory - Ibi sed pro gratia Dei vado vos.

Gonzalez played his first year (2011) in a better lineup than Hamilton, his second in a weaker - shall we call it a draw?

If you want to use injuries as a mitigating factor, (as you do with Gonzalez) Hamilton's been injured too over the past 2 years. Injuries don't mitigate underperformance, they're a fact of baseball which impede performance.
    Mantle could have been the best CF ever (instead of Mays) but he was hurt too often - nice "could have" scenario, but it aint what is.

vCash
    So long as he's a former CF, of course his fielding value will never match its previous levels; CF is, after all, the most valuable defensive position on the diamond.
    C, SS, 2B are more valuable then CF by a good deal and 3B is in a virtual tie w/ CF.

2010:

LF: (87 GS (games started))
    CF: (29 GS)

2011:

LF: (81 GS)
    CF: (30 GS)

2012:

LF: (84 GS)
    CF: (52 GS)
    RF: (2 Games)

So as anyone can see, Hamilton hasn't been a full time CF at any point these last 3 years, playing more LF in each single season. So, he has already largely moved off of CF.

Seems redundant to mention it in the first place, though, bravo on making the point twice.
    Bravo on thinking CF is the most important defensive position. As you know by now, I always challenge incorrect posts. I would have been happy not to waste my time on your last few posts, but, there just was no choice.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 12-09-2012 at 12:45 AM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Cough, sneeze, sniffle.....is it because they're both Japanese that you're making this comparison?.........fart, scratch, clear throat.

Because, hack, wretch, scratch............I'm not sure why else you'd put these two together.......belch, sniffle, stretch.
    yes....bc Japanese starters do not fair well in the majors (if you look at the numbers)

vCash
    Gonzalez played his first year (2011) in a better lineup than Hamilton, his second in a weaker - shall we call it a draw?
    Fairly close, but no. A quick calculation shows Texas > Bos/Bos/LAD by 76 runs combined in those two years.

BoSox fans had Gonzalez for a year and 123 games, and it cost about $20M combined, and they were very unsatisfied with a GG winning .321/.382/.513 slash 1B (BA and OBP that Hamilton is likely not to match IMO). One shudders to think what might become of substance abusing, feet of clay Hamilton in Boston at say 4/104?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tc2deuce View Post
    yes....bc Japanese starters do not fair well in the majors (if you look at the numbers)
    Well stereotyped.

Any great generalizations about, say, black quarterbacks?

Also, can I call you Rush Limbaugh?

PS - Also, it's "fare". Ex. - 'Typically, stupid people fare poorly at IQ tests.' The kind of 'fair' you're talking about is probably the one you work at, selling cotton candy and meth to 15 year old girls.
    Last edited by GoldDustTwin; 12-09-2012 at 01:15 AM.

vCash
    Fairly close, but no. A quick calculation shows Texas > Bos/Bos/LAD by 76 runs combined in those two years.

BoSox fans had Gonzalez for a year and 123 games, and it cost about $20M combined, and they were very unsatisfied with a GG winning .321/.382/.513 slash 1B (BA and OBP that Hamilton is likely not to match IMO). One shudders to think what might become of substance abusing, feet of clay Hamilton in Boston at say 4/104?
    Yeah but the thing is Gonzalez had no "big" moments. He was possibly the best boring lackluster player we've ever had.
    and with the 12th pick, The New York Football Giants select ......Odell Beckham Jr, Wide Reciever from Louisana State University

vCash
    Well stereotyped.

Any great generalizations about, say, black quarterbacks?

Also, can I call you Rush Limbaugh?

PS - Also, it's "fare". Ex. - 'Typically, stupid people fare poorly at IQ tests.' The kind of 'fair' you're talking about is probably the one you work at, selling cotton candy and meth to 15 year old girls.
    He isn't wrong, look at the numbers. Daisuke, hideo nomo, the guy for the Yankees in the early 2000s (so good I can't remember his name), Japanese pitchers have NOT so far fared well In the majors, with the exception of a few good years and hiroki kuroda.., it's just the facts. This isn't to say that there won't be a good Japanese pitcher in the future, in fact I really hope the sox sign otani and I believe that darvish is going to be a great pitcher soon

vCash
    His last two years are well down from 2010 both in hitting and fielding.

Hamiltons hr count will go down in Fenway compared to Arlington.

What complaint? Here is an article by someone that clearly knows the Rangers and Hamilton better than anyone here. It should concern any objective fan of the Red Sox.

what is he? a joe schmoe writter? bc we all know how accurate most of them are..

Fact is...WHY are reports suggesting the rangers in the mix in signing him? if he's such a negative why are they interested in resigning him? i guess he serves much more good than bad? This writter is simply exaggerating his point...typical.

vCash
    Of Course we should sign Hamilton!!1 He's ****in awesome! His stats prove everything!

vCash
    Poser Bags reporting for duty ^

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    Poser Bags reporting for duty ^
    Whoever it is, he sent me a PM and I replied saying he'd be perma-banned for creating a dupe. Hasn't replied since.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos_Sports4Life View Post
    what is he? a joe schmoe writter? bc we all know how accurate most of them are..

Fact is...WHY are reports suggesting the rangers in the mix in signing him? if he's such a negative why are they interested in resigning him? i guess he serves much more good than bad? This writter is simply exaggerating his point...typical.
    The article was written over 4 months ago. If there were inaccuracies in it, I'm sure they would been have noted, or pulled. They were not. Also that's no Joe Schmoe writer.

Finally, the rangers were in pursuit of ZG, a player with lots of baggage according to several reports ahead of Hamilton. As anyone can see Hamilton hasn't been signed yet.

There are actually close to a dozen similar pieces since the season ended from the local Rangers writers, all present him in a very mixed fashion, and none of them speak in absolutes about the Rangers signing him. Maybe you ought to spend your time checking the local sources instead of trying to poke holes in a well written piece by someone that knows a good deal more about Hamilton than both of us combined? I know! Because it pokes big fat holes in the myth that surrounds Hamilton (as Roy Hobbes) and the almost childlike faith that this often fallen "hero" is the absolute answer to "our" prayers so many of you believe in. Reminds me of the fervency of belief children have in the tooth fairy.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 12-09-2012 at 09:06 AM.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast